Author Topic: Editor Issues  (Read 7070 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Editor Issues
« Topic Start: January 31, 2012, 11:17:03 AM »
I think I've finally found what causes the issue with the new editor that makes linebreaks disappear from some messages.

It turns out that when you use the simple textarea - for example because your browser gracefully degrades down to it - then linebreaks are swallowed.

This will be interesting to sort out.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
Re: Editor Issues
« Reply #1: January 31, 2012, 12:19:29 PM »
Will you prefer donations of liquor or caffeine to placate you during your quest? >.>

Sri

• Peasant
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2: February 05, 2012, 12:14:19 AM »
Plain text editor with markdown. Yes?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 05, 2012, 12:48:51 AM »
Markdown or markup, normal non-geek users aren't going to want to use it.

It's important to have a rich-text editor for the folks who want to format, but aren't and don't want to be programmers.

Anyway, we've already got the old BM-style markup, the forum, and the Wiki—why introduce yet another different formatting style?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: February 05, 2012, 03:10:51 AM »
I will say this only once:

The move to ckeditor is final.

Help us improve it and fix whatever issues there are. Whining isn't going to help, suggesting other editors isn't going to help, suggesting no editor (or markup of any kind) isn't going to help.

I will from now on ignore and and all postings that suggest a different editor, the old editor, no editor, or complain about the editor in general without any information that helps us fix anything.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 05, 2012, 04:49:50 PM »
I have no idea how these things work, but it'd be nice if we didn't need to use a pasting box and if we didn't need to press anything special for our spell check to propose solutions.

It would also be nice if formatting that won't carry over when you post (message box colors, scouting tables, text colors) don't carry over when you paste. Pasting a message, and then trying to add text after for it to become white on white is bothersome.

Can any of this be changed? No idea. I'm just saying what I consider to be irritants of the new editor. Not just for me, but in general (people who don't check the forums won't know about hitting ctrl for the spell-check).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 05, 2012, 11:15:03 PM »
I have no idea how these things work, but it'd be nice if we didn't need to use a pasting box and if we didn't need to press anything special for our spell check to propose solutions.

It would also be nice if formatting that won't carry over when you post (message box colors, scouting tables, text colors) don't carry over when you paste. Pasting a message, and then trying to add text after for it to become white on white is bothersome.

Can any of this be changed? No idea. I'm just saying what I consider to be irritants of the new editor. Not just for me, but in general (people who don't check the forums won't know about hitting ctrl for the spell-check).

The pasting box is generally (can say for sure in your case) browser security permissions. Basically your browser will not allow the editor to have access to the clip board, so it pops up the box as a solution.

The system provides a paste as plain text option, that should remove all that nasty formatting. I usually don't bother, and hit select all, remove format button and be done with it. Problem there is if you want part of the formatting, say a hyperlink. With the plugin system we should be able to provide easy ways to include scout reports, but that requires a dev to have the time right now.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 07, 2012, 01:58:43 AM »
Hmmm... For some reason, some stuff goes into the paste box, others don't. I can copy messages no problem, but other stuff (I don't recall what) needs the box. Any way for the editor to not prompt the browser to open a box?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: February 07, 2012, 03:18:41 AM »
How do you paste text? Do you use the CTRL+V keyboard shortcut, or the Paste button on the toolbar? I use the keyboard shortcut, and never have any problems with the popup box.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: February 07, 2012, 03:24:26 AM »
How do you paste text? Do you use the CTRL+V keyboard shortcut, or the Paste button on the toolbar? I use the keyboard shortcut, and never have any problems with the popup box.

keyboard shortcut. I don't have issues when pasting from BattleMaster game stuff, but I think the issue arose when I pasted from the wiki. I had perhaps pasted the text in my search bar first to remove formatting, not sure.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #10: February 07, 2012, 10:29:11 AM »
ckeditor is just javascript and documented.

If anyone feels like digging through their docs and do some Google searches to find out how to change behaviours, etc. - please do. You would help the game and the dev team.

Likewise, if there's a javascript coder who could write us a plugin or two - that would be most appreciated!

Kaltenthal

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: February 07, 2012, 01:43:09 PM »
Ive used the new and i have to say... .. well... i dont want to be expelled from this thread so i will keep my thoughts to myself..

Pasting a scouting report will give you a table that is really hardly to edit without completely removing it.

Also that the live preview is gone is really bothering. sometimes breaks dont work without any given reason... The new editor maybe really has its pro's but i for myself dont want to learn html just to be able to continue playing battlemaster..

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #12: February 07, 2012, 02:13:35 PM »
Pasting a scouting report will give you a table that is really hardly to edit without completely removing it.

WTF are you doing pasting scout reports anyways? That's what scribe notes are for.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: February 07, 2012, 02:18:15 PM »
When you copy several scribe notes form the scribe notes page, and paste them into a message, they paste with the entire table structure. Gimme a few minutes, and I'll get some screen caps to show the problem.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #14: February 07, 2012, 02:20:20 PM »
Maybe because that's how you send out scout reports? Ummm... Tom I think you may have misunderstood what he is saying, I think he means cut and paste the thing at the bottom of the scouting report that you use to share it to the rest of the realm.