Author Topic: All main classes having abilities to help takeovers  (Read 4883 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
First, this is part of a broader effort designed to make war more interesting with minimal changes, see here http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,3933.msg97163.html#msg97163

So: This is pretty straightforward.  I want every main class to be able to help with takeovers.  I want Priests to be able to call for peaceful submission to the righteous liberators, or scream for defiance against the filthy infidels.  I want Courtiers to be able to help find all the old officials and talk them into joining the new regime, or burn all the old paperwork to make it harder.

The idea is you might be able to win a battle, leave a token force to hold it militarily, then have the Priests and Courtiers work on bringing the region into the fold while your troops don't have to sit for a week with their thumbs up their butts and can go earn their pay.  Or, if you prefer, you can throw your entire realm into frantically working on a new conquest to get it up and running in a much shorter time than before.

Best part of this is it should be easy enough to take the existing options, give them new flavour text, and set them to work off of skill percentage rather than troops (should, should, hopefully, maybe!).  This would help give everyone something to do, which is never a bad thing, while not making it required by any means.  More options, without taking anything away that we already had.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
In general, I support this idea. It sounds like you want the classes to be able to either help or resist the TO. If it is possible for the various classes to resist the takeovers, then there should be options for these individuals to be arrested by the TO forces. It should not be possible for someone to sit in the region without any troops and oppose a takeover force.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
In general, I support this idea. It sounds like you want the classes to be able to either help or resist the TO. If it is possible for the various classes to resist the takeovers, then there should be options for these individuals to be arrested by the TO forces. It should not be possible for someone to sit in the region without any troops and oppose a takeover force.

I believe he wants them to be able to support the takeover whether it be either a friendly takeover or a hostile/brutal one.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
I believe he wants them to be able to support the takeover whether it be either a friendly takeover or a hostile/brutal one.

Yes, this would be the first stage of implementation.

If they could help resist the takeover which would I'm sure be somewhat more complicated (I forgot to take my own advice on this, sigh), then yes, a chance to get arrested would be necessary.  I would expect scavenging the infiltrator code might work.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I understand your intent for priests, but why extend it to courtiers? Courtiers have troops.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I understand your intent for priests, but why extend it to courtiers? Courtiers have troops.

Often too few to be able to participate.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
This wouldn't be entirely trivial, but it's not especially complicated, and I think it's definitely a worthwhile thing to add in.

...I think I'd like to see options to resist takeovers, too, though it is, of course, pretty risky to even remain in a region where your enemy is running a takeover.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
This wouldn't be entirely trivial, but it's not especially complicated, and I think it's definitely a worthwhile thing to add in.

...I think I'd like to see options to resist takeovers, too, though it is, of course, pretty risky to even remain in a region where your enemy is running a takeover.

Didn't have much to do while sitting in York waiting for the TO to finish... It was safe to remain there, though.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Didn't have much to do while sitting in York waiting for the TO to finish... It was safe to remain there, though.

Hm. Actually, you're right—because it's still part of your realm.

If we introduce methods of resisting TOs, I think lone nobles should be capturable in regions under TO.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Hm. Actually, you're right—because it's still part of your realm.

If we introduce methods of resisting TOs, I think lone nobles should be capturable in regions under TO.

I was just saying that as food for thought. If nobles are capturable, it'd force them to flee their realm if their capital is being TOed, as they'd not have anywhere safe to be. I don't see this as either good or bad, just something to consider.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
...I think I'd like to see options to resist takeovers

Already exists. It's called defeating them in a battle.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Often too few to be able to participate.

But then the easy way to fix that is to get more troops.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
But then the easy way to fix that is to get more troops.

Class restrictions don't always allow that.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Class restrictions don't always allow that.

It makes it a bit less effective during the takeover, but extremely useful right afterwards. It's not like they have no option to help at all; it's just a trade-off. Should we make heroes TO actions less effective because they have more troops?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
It makes it a bit less effective during the takeover, but extremely useful right afterwards. It's not like they have no option to help at all; it's just a trade-off. Should we make heroes TO actions less effective because they have more troops?

I'm not saying courtiers SHOULD be able to do more, I'm just saying that your statement that they just have to recruit more troops doesn't work.