Author Topic: Character Count  (Read 19071 times)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Character Count
« Topic Start: August 26, 2013, 06:35:55 PM »
Our problem is not noble count. Our problem is player count.

I'm done discussing ideas to increase the number of characters per player. We've been over this two dozen times.

I hate to poke something you said you're done discussing and I'm absolutely not saying that player count isn't the bigger issue, but I *really* think that new accounts should start with one more noble slot.

Two noble slots and an advy, in my opinion, is a very poor way to get interested in the game. Finding a good realm, especially in these days of low player & noble density, is hit or miss. Playing an advy means missing out on the social core of the game, which doesn't help attract one to the game. Both hit or miss realm selection with only two chances at hitting and playing an advy who is segregated from the social core of the game are likely one reason why players don't stick around and thus, why retention and low density are issues.

I would urge you to consider returning new accounts to 3 starting nobles and only allowing adventurers after 30 days. Its a simple change and one that I *really* think should happen, for the good of newbie retention.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Character Count
« Reply #1: August 26, 2013, 11:56:37 PM »
split this off, because it really, really doesn't belong into the other topic.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 27, 2013, 12:33:09 AM »
A lot of people have been saying the same thing. I am inclined to agree with them.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 27, 2013, 12:45:47 AM »
Me three.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #4: August 27, 2013, 01:15:38 AM »
Same here.

SaDiablo

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 27, 2013, 02:16:01 AM »
I concur, good idea from Vita

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 27, 2013, 04:09:59 AM »
Agreed, if you want to keep it down to three characters make the advy something they earn later.

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 27, 2013, 11:21:24 AM »
Or just leave them with a choice? Either a third noble or an advie?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 27, 2013, 01:05:12 PM »
Advies should be restricted like they used to be. 90 days to make one. It is a side-game. A small, feature-limited minigame that will never be as developed or feature-rich as the noble game. Advies were originally intended as a bonus extra character, and not as a main character. They are a completely separate experience, and should remain as such, not presented as a main line of play.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 28, 2013, 03:47:30 AM »
This is a side-game, however we still have to spend one slot to play with an adventurer... I would like to play with one, but I don't want to spend a slot with them while I also want to play more the game itself.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Eirikr

« Reply #10: August 28, 2013, 03:52:18 AM »
I was a new player once. I remember being rather overwhelmed (and underwhelmed) with the game on my very first character. I joined the Barony and loved the color, but there were all these things I didn't understand. I gave reverence to people who had positions, etc. and just tried to figure out what I was supposed to do and what was going to be effective. I actually didn't make a second character until six months, maybe a full year after. (Yes, I know I can go check and prove myself somewhat wrong... but it was a while.) Then, I got him in deep and was scared to make another character after that. How would I maintain one character as a "model citizen" (for Vikings, at least) and the other as a crazy mess?

Now I have four characters. One, admittedly, is essentially quiet and pokes her head up every now and then. Two are loud and defining of my play. The last is that abused advy everyone seems to have. I feel like I get the most reward, as a player, out of the advy. I know my contributions are small, but nobody else can get it done.

My point is this: I don't know that changing the character limit will change anything. I think having the option there (and allowing to choose an advy, if you want) is good because it essentially gives you several chances to try the game out different ways, but I really don't think it's part of the problem at all.

Just my two cents. Sometimes, we can't remember how it was to be new.

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 28, 2013, 05:01:14 AM »
This is a side-game, however we still have to spend one slot to play with an adventurer... I would like to play with one, but I don't want to spend a slot with them while I also want to play more the game itself.

That's an interesting point.

This is just an idea that I'm throwing into the ring, but what about giving everyone the ability to play one adventurer as a free character that doesn't count towards character limits? Over the last couple of years I've read quite a few posts saying the adventurer game is virtually dead - not enough adventurers; not much interaction between the ones that there are; not much co-operative hunting; etc.

Giving everyone the chance to play one free adventurer character could have a lot of benefits - making the adventurer game more lively and social; increasing the use of unique items because there would be more adventurers to get them repaired; etc. Also, giving new players the option to play 3 full nobles and an adventurer as a bonus character would allow them to experience different paces to the game, and also different aspects of the gameplay and seeing how everything links together. The more gameplay diversity they see in the game, the more there is to hook their interest and keep them playing, perhaps helping with retention.

Just a thought, anyhow. I can't really see any disadvantages to giving everyone the chance to have one free adventurer. If it meant increased hunting saw fewer rogue hordes, the spawn rates could just be increased as was discussed elsewhere.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 05:03:29 AM by Foxglove »

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 28, 2013, 05:03:39 AM »
I concur.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 28, 2013, 05:10:53 AM »
Let's not distract from the main point of the thread please.

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 28, 2013, 05:28:12 AM »
I think this is directly related to the main point of your thread. As I read it, you want new players to have 3 starting nobles to get them more engaged with the game and encourage them to stay around. In other words, you want them to have more chances to experience more of the game more quickly. However, increasing the overall activity level within the adventurer game throughout the player base is another way to engage new players.

Playing an advy means missing out on the social core of the game, which doesn't help attract one to the game. Both hit or miss realm selection with only two chances at hitting and playing an advy who is segregated from the social core of the game are likely one reason why players don't stick around and thus, why retention and low density are issues.

If the adventurer game is boring, unengaging, and under-populated, as you say, increasing the overall number of adventurers would improve it. What new players need is the chance to play more of the game to showcase more of what it has to offer. And the adventurer class gives them a chance to play at a different speed to the noble game. Why short change what the game has to offer by making them wait 30 days to experience the adventurer game when you could give them 3 starting nobles + one free adventurer? If the adventurer game wasn't so dull, it would be another tool to help with player retention.