Author Topic: Capital-only recruitment  (Read 5347 times)

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Capital-only recruitment
« Topic Start: November 06, 2013, 03:50:52 PM »
Why can you only recruit in the capital?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Capital-only recruitment
« Reply #1: November 06, 2013, 03:56:49 PM »
This is a game-balance mechanic that has existed since the earliest days of BattleMaster.

The most important reason it exists is Because Tom Says So. However, there are justifications. For instance, it ensures that a large realm cannot simply send its huge army to its edge, smash it against the walls of an enemy city a few times, then pull back to a border city and completely replenish its soldiers to be back in the field within a couple of days.

In general, it is part of the balancing mechanics that help to ensure that no one realm can grow too colossal.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 06, 2013, 04:00:40 PM »
* jaune waves protest banner

It should be duchy based recruiting! You could recruit only at your own Duchy "capital" or your home region.

It would be even more balanced this way, harder to maintain huge armies, cause some people need to recruit from more far than others etc.

-Jaune
~Violence is always an option!~

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 06, 2013, 04:04:02 PM »

It should be duchy based recruiting! You could recruit only at your own Duchy "capital" or your home region.

It would be even more balanced this way, harder to maintain huge armies, cause some people need to recruit from more far than others etc.

-Jaune

And what about Duchies that have no cities, townslands, or strongholds in them?

Or a Duchy that has two cities, a stronghold, and a townsland?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 06, 2013, 04:13:15 PM »
If they dont have city, knights can only recruit from their own regions... or/and duchies would need to have a capital.

I would love to see duchies be more like realms and realms more like federations...

-Jaune

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 06, 2013, 04:16:42 PM »
If they dont have city, knights can only recruit from their own regions... or/and duchies would need to have a capital.

I would love to see duchies be more like realms and realms more like federations...

-Jaune

Maybe if we ever get back to 2000 players, and seem to be on track to keep that for a good long time, we can consider changes like this.

With things as they are now? It would be suicide. Duchies are far too small to be effective primary groups for people to belong to.
Timothy Collett

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 06, 2013, 04:21:35 PM »

-Jaune

I've thought the same, BUT

This is a big change, the kind that you sit around and think is a good idea but can't possibly predict how it will really turn out. Like Anaris said the project just isn't at a point right now where changing something that is at the CORE of the game is in any way a good idea.

If you want a system that has Duchies acting as realms, I suggest you give Might and Fealty a go, it might just scratch that itch.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 06, 2013, 04:24:32 PM »
yeah, well i meant mainly this recruiting thing. Mayby if we really would have a lot players it would work to have duchy generals etc. But that would be possible already, especially if duchies had its own RC's... So duchies could start their own armies with marshalls etc. or they could belong to other armies etc.

I dont see problem to make this recruit thing even with low playerbase... it could make some things more sucky to some distant duchies, but it would sure make it harder to make "full refits" and everybody heads to capital recruits and moves as one unstoppable 50kCS army.

Edit:
Aaand, infact this kind of changes could really boost the game as well, i bet many oldtimers who has just grown bored could get new boost or make comeback if there is major enough changes.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 04:26:36 PM by jaune »

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 06, 2013, 04:28:58 PM »
yeah, well i meant mainly this recruiting thing. Mayby if we really would have a lot players it would work to have duchy generals etc. But that would be possible already, especially if duchies had its own RC's... So duchies could start their own armies with marshalls etc. or they could belong to other armies etc.

I dont see problem to make this recruit thing even with low playerbase... it could make some things more sucky to some distant duchies, but it would sure make it harder to make "full refits" and everybody heads to capital recruits and moves as one unstoppable 50kCS army.

You play on one continent too much. 50k unstoppable armies at not a common feature.

Refits can already take days which I think is long enough before players should be getting back into action. Not too many people will have fun if they are all waiting around for refits to finish, or if the few players that are willing to dedicate their time to military command now also have to micro manage WHO is going for a refit WHEN to try and keep a decent force in the field.

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 06, 2013, 04:42:56 PM »
It would even BIG vs. Small realm wars.

I know there aint too many realms which could muster 50KCS.

Something needs to be done that there would be more room for strategy. Now there is quite narrow strategic options. I would say it would be nearly impossible, or atleast not very effective to try keep all duchies troops on one big chunk, it would take too much time... so it would require splitting army and there comes the strategy and giving some hope for small realms to wage wars against huge giants.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 06, 2013, 04:46:02 PM »
It would even BIG vs. Small realm wars.

I know there aint too many realms which could muster 50KCS.

Something needs to be done that there would be more room for strategy. Now there is quite narrow strategic options. I would say it would be nearly impossible, or atleast not very effective to try keep all duchies troops on one big chunk, it would take too much time... so it would require splitting army and there comes the strategy and giving some hope for small realms to wage wars against huge giants.

Except you are introducing micro management and work into a game that is already struggling to find players to take on positions of responsibility. It might well even out Large vs Small, but what is the point if at the same time it is killing fun? If the goal is to make small realms more competitive, this needs to be done in a way that does not place extra burdens and complexity onto the players.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #11: November 06, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »

There is no such thing as a duchy "capital", therefore, idea == dead.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 06, 2013, 05:51:40 PM »
There is no such thing as a duchy "capital", therefore, idea == dead.

Isn't the seat of the duchy wherever the duke lives?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 06, 2013, 05:56:47 PM »

The Duke doesn't have to hold any region at all, nor does the Duchy have to have any regions tied to it. You see the complexity here, it is not that we couldn't ADD the concept of a Duchy Capital, it is that Duchies as they are implemented right now have a level of flexibility make things a bit tricky.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: November 06, 2013, 06:00:31 PM »
You are assuming that the duke is a region lord. This is not always the case,.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.