Author Topic: Idea: Voting on feature requests  (Read 3802 times)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Idea: Voting on feature requests
« Topic Start: June 22, 2011, 08:03:46 PM »
I find it difficult to know which features the community really would like to see (note: new features, not tweaks to existing features, since those are more controversial and not that hard to implement).

I remember seeing somewhere else all feature requests were submitted and voted on by the community, and it's easy to just see and work on the most liked/voted up features.  What are your thoughts on having something like this for BM?
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Re: Idea: Voting on feature requests
« Reply #1: June 22, 2011, 08:19:22 PM »
Sure, it couldn't hurt to try, I guess. There's a saying in journalism, though: What interests the public isn't always what's in the public interest. Something to keep in mind, perhaps.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #2: June 22, 2011, 08:21:45 PM »
Sure, it couldn't hurt to try, I guess. There's a saying in journalism, though: What interests the public isn't always what's in the public interest. Something to keep in mind, perhaps.

Agreed, that's why I retain the right to choose what I work on.  ;)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

egamma

« Reply #3: June 23, 2011, 03:56:03 AM »
Sounds great to me--gather your top 10 favorite ideas, turn it into a "pick one" poll, and go from there.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 23, 2011, 04:05:51 AM »
The theory of the silent majority makes me doubt the wisdom of such a move. If certain features advantage a minority over the majority, each individual person in the minority will have a lot more incentives to vote than those in the majority, as they individually have more to gain than the person of the majority individually has to lose.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #5: June 23, 2011, 04:17:49 AM »
Development of a game generally is better served when limited to a development team. Sure, outside ideas can be taken in, but they probably shouldn't be allowed to go through into the live version without first passing through the dev team.

That means voting for a feature shouldn't make it absolutely implemented if the majority says yes. Well, hypothetically Tom still gets to veto it, but what I mean is that there should be a better defined border where players can act in a commentary role while the dev team actually handles the...development.

It is something like writing a series of novels. You listen to your fans a little to make them happy, but you do not use their ideas unless it's something you've already thought of doing.

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: June 23, 2011, 04:35:39 AM »
picking workable ideas and making people vote for it? That would be easier for the dev team :)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #7: June 23, 2011, 04:50:05 AM »
Development of a game generally is better served when limited to a development team. Sure, outside ideas can be taken in, but they probably shouldn't be allowed to go through into the live version without first passing through the dev team.

That means voting for a feature shouldn't make it absolutely implemented if the majority says yes. Well, hypothetically Tom still gets to veto it, but what I mean is that there should be a better defined border where players can act in a commentary role while the dev team actually handles the...development.

It is something like writing a series of novels. You listen to your fans a little to make them happy, but you do not use their ideas unless it's something you've already thought of doing.

Wait... this is a simply list that people can vote for, it doesn't mean they'll be what's implemented. :)

But I understand what you're saying, and I agree with you.  Keep in mind also that the person actually doing the coding has the ultimate say as to whether they want to do it.  8)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #8: June 23, 2011, 04:50:44 AM »
Sounds great to me--gather your top 10 favorite ideas, turn it into a "pick one" poll, and go from there.

A little less flexible, but certainly a good start. :D

Aldwoni

• Knight
    • View Profile