Author Topic: Booze tax at tournaments  (Read 6692 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Booze tax at tournaments
« Topic Start: July 12, 2011, 11:20:31 PM »
All of this gold being spent away on booze, and the host ain't taking a share? Come on, as if! Hosts should be able to set a tax on booze, or otherwise get a set number from every time it is bought. Makes much more sense, and gives hosts another means of financing these costly tournaments.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: Booze tax at tournaments
« Reply #1: July 12, 2011, 11:47:10 PM »
Surprisingly people are very agreeable to wasting their money for nothing but vanity. But once they learn someone actually benefits from their waste, depending on their relationship, they might stop.

Besides, those pubs might be one of those "non-taxable" ones they get for tournament specials. Trying to impose taxes might get the Pubowners' Guild on your case. Now before you think it's no big deal, recall that all but two of your entertainment options deals with pubs.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 13, 2011, 01:15:21 AM »
Surprisingly people are very agreeable to wasting their money for nothing but vanity. But once they learn someone actually benefits from their waste, depending on their relationship, they might stop.

Besides, those pubs might be one of those "non-taxable" ones they get for tournament specials. Trying to impose taxes might get the Pubowners' Guild on your case. Now before you think it's no big deal, recall that all but two of your entertainment options deals with pubs.

I don't think they will stop. That's gold that goes towards funding a next tournament, after all, whether directly or indirectly. And if some do, who cares? The option does nothing. Vanity will remain, and none will suffer if it is reduced.

"Non-taxables" sound silly. I don't really understand what you are trying to say, but that sounds as a very contemporary idea. The guy who sells ale would owe something to the host either way, either a flat fee for the right to sell on the grounds or a share of the profits, if not both.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #3: July 13, 2011, 04:08:56 AM »
Oh come now, we've had useless betting for such a long time too. Why not just lighten up and accept that tournaments aren't exactly much of a focal point in this game, and see about as much maintenance as Diablo 1 does? Enjoy the flaws, Kuso Happens, man. ^_^

egamma

« Reply #4: July 13, 2011, 07:41:40 PM »
All of this gold being spent away on booze, and the host ain't taking a share? Come on, as if! Hosts should be able to set a tax on booze, or otherwise get a set number from every time it is bought. Makes much more sense, and gives hosts another means of financing these costly tournaments.

So far about 20 gold has been spent on drinks at the tournament. Assuming it reaches 50%, and you have a 20% tax share, that means you'd get about 10 gold. I find that hardly worth a dev's time.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 13, 2011, 08:35:52 PM »

figuring out your tournament in paisly won't be profiting you with such price (1000 gold first place) in dwilight ? :P
Most nobles probably spend as much gold on drinking as on the initial joining fee, it would make tournaments a little more fun to host for the more financial focused characters around with such tax ability.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 13, 2011, 09:38:37 PM »
So far about 20 gold has been spent on drinks at the tournament. Assuming it reaches 50%, and you have a 20% tax share, that means you'd get about 10 gold. I find that hardly worth a dev's time.

I was thinking along the lines of 2 gold every time the option is used. Seems to me like this would be a simple code to implement, much simpler than gambling would be.

But no, I don't expect this to make tournaments any more profitable. :P

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 13, 2011, 11:33:56 PM »
I think he's just sore that he only has 20 people showing up for his 'huge' tournament :P

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 13, 2011, 11:56:56 PM »
I think he's just sore that he only has 20 people showing up for his 'huge' tournament :P

Yea, these bastards. :P

Next tournament will have much smaller prize and a bigger fee. If I can't reach the world as I thought I could, I'll abuse the !@#$ out of the local clients. ;)

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 14, 2011, 12:29:24 AM »
Sorry, we're fighting monsters :(
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #10: July 14, 2011, 12:36:26 AM »
I could join, but...why? 1000 gold is really nothing.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 14, 2011, 04:09:23 AM »
I could join, but...why? 1000 gold is really nothing.

Most other tournaments offered less.

And the next one I host will offer much, much less. People got used to ridiculously deficitary tournaments. I'm gonna bring a healthy dose of capitalism to the game.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: July 14, 2011, 06:33:48 AM »
Yeah, I think only 1 person from Terran is at the tourney, which surprised me a little.

I would have loved to have gone to it, but I have a frontier to defend. Couldn't afford to be away that long.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: July 14, 2011, 06:34:45 AM »
Oh yes, and the topic of this thread:

I think it would be a cool idea.

I think there are several small things that could be added to tournaments that would really enhance them and make them pretty awesome.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #14: July 14, 2011, 04:30:30 PM »
In response we should next grant the option of creating speakeasies and have a new sub-subclass: Bootlegger. Furthermore, in addition to guilds and secret societies, we should have a new "guild" type: Organized Crime Syndicate.

Hey, it IS historically realistic, you can't argue that.