Author Topic: Build the next BattleMaster with me... frontend or Unity programmers wanted  (Read 3039 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
While I've not been active with BM for years, I have never lost interest in making games.
Want to make the next game with me? Read on...

I've started and stopped a bunch of projects recently, and finally come to the conclusion that my main talent and interest is with game mechanics, not website design or 3D models. I have basic proficiency in all of those, enough to work well together with some else because I understand what is possible and what not, and can easily make a mockup or prototype to show how it is in my mind.
And now I discovered GraphQL as an API, and libraries for it in JS (React, Vue, whatever you fancy) and even Unity 3D.

So I'm thinking... if there are one or a few people in the community who've always wanted to make a game, but don't have the backend or game mechanics skills. But who can do web frontends or Unity 3D clients...
I have a ton of resources, from infrastructure (servers, databases, etc.) to Unity Assets worth in the thousands. I just don't have the time anymore to make a complete game all by myself. Or rather: I can make the game, but not the interface. But everything on the backend, from the API to user authentication, database setup and maintenance, running the server, micropayments to buy in-game credits, all of that and more is not a problem, I've done it multiple times, and I've made enough great games as well as failures to understand what goes and what doesn't.

I also have my own style in my games, and I've finally decided to stick to it. Instead of trying to make games to appeal to many tastes, I'll make games that I would love to play, like I did with BattleMaster. There is nothing in the game that is not there because I thought it would make the game more fun.

So if you have some skills in React, Vue, Angular or whatever, in frontend or graphics design - for a web client,or if you have some skill in Unity 3D, for a 3D standalone client,then post below and let's see if we can get together one or three people for a small team. My ideal size is about 4 people. Less and the whole project is in danger of falling apart if someone leaves, more and it becomes difficult to manage everyone.
I'll also share with you the game design concept. Yes, I do have an actual game in my mind already...

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Want to add one thought to this:

I mention both web and 3D above, which seem like totally different things. In my mind they are not. Many games today are designed for phones, or around a cute 3D tech or VR or whatever. But for me, the game is not in its presentation. A good game is fun irrespective of its graphics, sounds or platform. You can greatly enhance a game with a good presentation, and games like Morrowind or Skyrim are great because of their attention to detail and open spaces and visuals. But the story and the concept would be just as catching and interesting in a 2D view. Even as a point-and-click adventure.

I have one game in design which can work on any platform. I have one other game which requires 3D. And I have one that has two parts (one strategic, one building) where it might work best to have two different interfaces.