Author Topic: REJECTED: Religion spread visible on dynamic map  (Read 2930 times)

bluexmas

• Knight
    • View Profile
REJECTED: Religion spread visible on dynamic map
« Topic Start: November 14, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »
    Title: Request to have religion spread visible on dynamic map
    Summary: I would like to see the spread of different religions made visible on the dynamic map
    Details: I think this could be done by showing either percentages in each region of religious followers or more simply by tracking the faith of Local Lords or temples.
    Benefits: Put the religious game in the forefront by showing the spreads, rises, ebbs, and falls of religions geographically/visually. It would make the spread of religions something visible to regular members and not just Priests, and I believe that would  help bring the politics of religion to the forefront. What better justification for animosity than being able to track the spread of a rival/evil religion?
    Possible Exploits: Right now, I believe that Priests are the only ones who can access the spread of their religion, and the action to do so requires hours.
I'd like to hear from others about how this could be done, but I believe that the concept would encourage and reward the religious game through a fairly simple addition that wouldn't affect game balance in any significant way I can think of.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 09:48:15 PM by egamma »
The Finsternis family welcomes you.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Request: Religion spread visible on dynamic map
« Reply #1: November 14, 2012, 05:30:23 PM »
This data is only accessible to priests of the respective religions, and only after spending multiple hours and some gold to compile the data.

It's not just going to be put out there for everyone to see for free.

Furthermore, I have yet to hear a reasonable proposal for how to represent this on the dynamic map when you've got, potentially, 10 or more different religions all having some representation within a given region.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #2: November 14, 2012, 05:34:44 PM »
Perhaps it would be easiest to just have it display specifically your religion for priests, and all other religions are represented by a singular common color. I mean, it's not like your religion is going to say, "They're all heathens, but these heathens we want to convert less than those heathens."

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 14, 2012, 05:36:32 PM »
Perhaps it would be easiest to just have it display specifically your religion for priests, and all other religions are represented by a singular common color. I mean, it's not like your religion is going to say, "They're all heathens, but these heathens we want to convert less than those heathens."

That turns this into simply a request to remove the time/gold requirement for getting a religious spread map drawn.

I'm not sure how that's any different than asking to be able to get scout reports of any region just by clicking on them.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

bluexmas

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 14, 2012, 05:39:37 PM »
It would also be simpler just to display the majority religion in each region. That way, Priests would still have an edge because they could see percentages with their abilities but regular nobles could still get a basic sense of the success or failure of their religion.
The Finsternis family welcomes you.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: Religion spread visible on dynamic map
« Reply #5: November 14, 2012, 05:46:40 PM »
Original request rejected, new suggestions should germinate on the Development board first before creating an official feature request.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.