Author Topic: Remove Royal "unbannable" perk  (Read 32514 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Remove Royal "unbannable" perk
« Topic Start: January 25, 2013, 03:29:17 AM »
Title: Remove Royal "un-bannable" perk

Summary: I believe current usage of the royal mechanic has created an atmosphere of gameplay which is toxic to sustained growth and play of battlemaster. The ability for a past ruler to not be banned from their realm incentives rulers to "retire" into duchy/city lordship positions and essentially permanently lock out any other player from gaining that position ever again. If the un-bannable perk was removed from the royal rank it would promote position turnover and encourage more responsible gameplay.

Details: Keep the Royal rank to identify past rulers, but remove the provision that makes this rank unbannable from a realm.

Benefits: Currently and in the past lack of position turnover has been a big problem in the game. Stagnant holders of positions cause new players to be discouraged about what they can achieve in the game, and also makes the game very linearized. Under the current system, one can create a guaranteed safety net for themselves by seeking a lordship, and retiring into a Duchy/Margrave seat as fast as they can. This causes dukes to not have any responsibility to the rest of their realm or any incentive to really encourage good gameplay with their vassals and fellow realm leaders. They can't be removed from their positions and can't be banned from the realm, so they can simply zone out and ruin the fun for many other players once they reach this position. By removing their protection from being banned, players in the realm are given additional recourse against those characters which have stopped realm fun and engagement and simply want to sit on a gold mine.

Exploits: None.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Remove Royal "unbannable" perk
« Reply #1: January 25, 2013, 04:12:13 AM »
I don't think a former ruler should be so easily banned as any other character. Being completely immune from bans may not be the best thing, but I've never seen anything better proposed. Even if ruler status was removed, it probably wouldn't do what you're talking about in terms of position turnover. Plenty of non-royal dukes have held duchies for RL years.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 25, 2013, 04:14:43 AM »
I don't think a former ruler should be so easily banned as any other character. Being completely immune from bans may not be the best thing, but I've never seen anything better proposed. Even if ruler status was removed, it probably wouldn't do what you're talking about in terms of position turnover. Plenty of non-royal dukes have held duchies for RL years.

I agree.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #3: January 25, 2013, 04:23:23 AM »
And if you're planning on just banning nobles who've been in the realm and position for ages you will quickly bleed out the experienced characters because...  Frankly, who'd want to stick around for that?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 25, 2013, 04:32:39 AM »
And if you're planning on just banning nobles who've been in the realm and position for ages you will quickly bleed out the experienced characters because...  Frankly, who'd want to stick around for that?

Experienced characters have, by definition, worked together for a very long time. They tend to become friends. Acting against one is likely to get your ass whooped by the rest of them.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 25, 2013, 04:37:02 AM »
Experienced characters have, by definition, worked together for a very long time. They tend to become friends. Acting against one is likely to get your ass whooped by the rest of them.
And what if he isn't liked? He could be logging in once a week so he doesn't lose his position and kill the game for everyone, which generally makes everyone their enemy.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 06:19:02 AM by Penchant »
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 25, 2013, 04:38:51 AM »
And what if he isn't liked? He could be longing in once a week so he doesn't lose his position and kill the game for everyone, which generally makes everyone their enemy.

You'd think so.

Unfortunately, no. I've seen dukes do exactly that, even without the royal rank, and have enough support to get away with it.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 25, 2013, 04:44:35 AM »
I don't think a former ruler should be so easily banned as any other character. Being completely immune from bans may not be the best thing, but I've never seen anything better proposed.
My suggestion is any ruler protested out of office does not receive the royal status. I think there should be a way to strip someone of the royal title after they have left office too but I am do not yet have a suggestion for that.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 25, 2013, 04:53:56 AM »
You'd think so.

Unfortunately, no. I've seen dukes do exactly that, even without the royal rank, and have enough support to get away with it.
I have seen it too. Usually as long as they aren't hurting anybody no cares. The main times it would come into play is when he/she is !@#$ing up his/her duchy when times are tough.
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 25, 2013, 05:01:31 AM »
I have seen it too. Usually as long as they aren't hurting anybody no cares. The main times it would come into play is when he/she is !@#$ing up his/her duchy when times are tough.

And even then, sadly.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 25, 2013, 05:14:21 AM »
Well Chenier do you have a suggestion to solve that problem?

I think its an important issue.

Long-timers SHOULDN'T have all of the fluff positions by default. They should be able to be competed over or allowed to turnover.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 25, 2013, 05:23:59 AM »
He could be longing in once a week so he doesn't lose his position and kill the game for everyone, which generally makes everyone their enemy.
Oh, so you're wanting to violate his inalienable right to play at his own pace by banning him for being inactive?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 25, 2013, 05:42:13 AM »
Oh, so you're wanting to violate his inalienable right to play at his own pace by banning him for being inactive?

No, you just ban him for not contributing to the realm and don't say anything about activity.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 25, 2013, 05:50:35 AM »
I am not against playing at your own pace. I used the words I did for a reason. If someone logs in, clicks play character, logs out, every week that's not playing the game IMO, but either way that's not contributing to the realm which is grounds for banishment. They are allowed to play at their own pace but that does not mean they get a free pass either. Banning for low activity is against the IR, but punishment because they are not doing their job is not against the IR.
― G.K. Chesterton

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 25, 2013, 06:09:26 AM »
It's common for dukes to hold their positions for real life years - decades even - and few, if any, of them would be banned, even if it were possible. Friendships go back; running a city requires little attention, no skill; dukeship is the penultimate position, to be kept at all costs. The only way to promote duchy turnover would be to increase the likelihood of mortality. Say, allow infiltrators to really assassinate - no more rubber daggers. But that isn't happening, people don't want to lose, this ain't the capitalism.