Author Topic: Elite Army  (Read 7942 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Elite Army
« Topic Start: December 06, 2013, 07:12:40 AM »
Founding elite armies is allowed, yes? (My definition of an elite army is an army specifically with the most active members of realm. ) I am rather sure I saw on the wiki before that it is allowed because that way you are working around more inactive people' schedules by not trying to have them do one turn moves or late turn moves all the time.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Elite Army
« Reply #1: December 06, 2013, 11:18:52 AM »
Yes

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 06, 2013, 01:26:50 PM »
Founding elite armies is allowed, yes? (My definition of an elite army is an army specifically with the most active members of realm. ) I am rather sure I saw on the wiki before that it is allowed because that way you are working around more inactive people' schedules by not trying to have them do one turn moves or late turn moves all the time.

As long as the others also have some choices. If all you have is an elite army and a bureau army, then you are basically saying all others don't deserve the right to fight.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 06, 2013, 08:37:56 PM »
As long as the others also have some choices. If all you have is an elite army and a bureau army, then you are basically saying all others don't deserve the right to fight.

Yeah, this.

Tom's endorsement aside, some caution is still warranted in how you approach this topic IG as there are circumstances that could crop up around this that might lead to a related violation if you aren't careful. Use common sense and do not exclude people against their wishes.

Eirikr

« Reply #4: December 06, 2013, 09:07:26 PM »
Yeah, this.

Tom's endorsement aside, some caution is still warranted in how you approach this topic IG as there are circumstances that could crop up around this that might lead to a related violation if you aren't careful. Use common sense and do not exclude people against their wishes.

For example, (I presume) it is okay to remove (if the lord actually does it) less active characters from that army, so long as they receive no other retribution for it. That is, even with the understanding that it is an activity-based army, it is still the player's right to miss a turn or several... So he does not meet the standard for the army, but that is not dishonorable or whatever other consequence. (Kind of like being in a cavalry army and recruiting a MI unit on the refit.)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 07, 2013, 01:35:22 AM »
Yeah, of course. I am just looking at a small elite army in one of my characters realms with some more interesting things with it as well that guarantees its not the main army.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 08, 2013, 02:43:25 PM »
As long as it's not a thinly-veiled effort to attack the IRs. Having an elite army is not the same as excluding less active players from battle, though both can be done in one move. Hence why elite armies in themselves are fine, but they don't give you the right to exclude the others from war due to their activity levels.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 08, 2013, 10:51:12 PM »
As long as it's not a thinly-veiled effort to attack the IRs. Having an elite army is not the same as excluding less active players from battle, though both can be done in one move. Hence why elite armies in themselves are fine, but they don't give you the right to exclude the others from war due to their activity levels.

There is no IR that covers this. I can't tell you what units to command sure, but as a Lord no IR compels me to appoint you to an army.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 09, 2013, 02:31:01 AM »
If everyone who can't make late turn moves suddenly finds themselves assigned to the home guard buro army, then this is certainly a violation of the activity IR. Even though lords are allowed to assign people to armies at will. It is very possible to do individual things that are by themselves legal, but do them for purposes that are against a rule.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: December 09, 2013, 03:24:57 AM »
Remind me of Fontan elite army which have a reputation for being fearsome and following orders. Unfortunately its demise later on during the wars. It is allowed.

As Indirik last post states, I agree with it. Those who cannot comply order, find themselves assigned to the home guard buro army due to they not qualified to join the elite army. This sounds much better IC and does not violate activity IR. Do not hold anything against everyone who cannot make late turn moves...
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 09, 2013, 03:47:34 PM »
There is no IR that covers this. I can't tell you what units to command sure, but as a Lord no IR compels me to appoint you to an army.

There's the activity IR.

Playing at your own speed, timing and activity level, i.e. logging in as often or seldom as you like, at whatever times you like.

If you are pulled out of all armies just because you don't log in often enough, then you aren't being allowed to play at your own speed. Much of the game depends on battles and the h/p and skill gains that result from them.

If you search previous discussions about elite armies (not sure if on these forums or the d-list), I'm pretty sure you'll find this stated by Tom. The same applies for unit type, which might actually be where he said it: it's fine to have a cavalry-only army, as long as you aren't only using that army for warfare and forcing everyone else to stay at home. Both of these are just veiled punishment to people for things that are their IR (activity or unit type).