Author Topic: FR: Estate estimates for new characters tweak  (Read 2795 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
FR: Estate estimates for new characters tweak
« Topic Start: December 12, 2013, 10:12:21 PM »
Title: Estate estimates for new characters tweak
Summary: As it is, the lord's tax does not show when a character views projected income from available estates at character creation. This can be incredibly deceptive, as the estate can end up yielding less than half of what this page announces.
Benefits: New characters would be created with proper information on hand.
Possible Downsides or Exploits: Honestly, I find the current situation to be exploitable, rather than the tweak. Giving huge estates makes the realm more attractive, but it's really just a trap because the promised income is nowhere near the actual income that will be granted.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
This would really be nice.

Once again, I create a character, and once again, wham, 50% lord tax.

I've never even seen anyone use 50% lord tax anywhere, except when I create new characters in realms I don't know.

And how does the war rating on realms work, anyways? I looked at FEI, and there was only one realm with "a lot of war". When I join it, and look at the diplomacy page, they are basically federated to everyone else on the continent, and the sole realm they are at war with is half a continent away. And it looks already pretty much dead, with only two regions left. Somehow, I doubt these guys see much battle.

This character creation assistance is a crucial tool in player retention, as it guides them were to go, hopefully putting them in a spot they will enjoy. But so far, all of my experiences with trusting it have been greatly misleading. The high incomes promised turn out to be average or mediocre incomes, the high war turns out to be no war, and the activity... well, apparently all of FEI is inactive, so that might of been on the spot.

For reference, this time I was pointed to Coralynth.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
This character creation assistance is a crucial tool in player retention, as it guides them were to go, hopefully putting them in a spot they will enjoy. But so far, all of my experiences with trusting it have been greatly misleading.

I agree; there was a bunch more stuff I intended to add to the tool, but haven't gotten around to yet. I really need to revisit it, to make it much more useful—and, as you say, less misleading.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Once again, I create a character, and once again, wham, 50% lord tax.

I've never even seen anyone use 50% lord tax anywhere, except when I create new characters in realms I don't know.
I do it when I'm lord of a region with no knights. I don't think I've ever gone higher than 25%, and that's only when my lord character had no estate.

I'm with you on the 50% tax thing. It's pretty much false advertising.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: FR: Estate estimates for new characters tweak
« Reply #4: December 08, 2016, 02:27:47 PM »
I would like to revive this feature request/(bug report?).

It is really annoying to create a character, pick an estate, and then realize that you aren't getting at all what you were promised. Especially when you see you had better options and were misled.

I haven't had such an extreme case since my return, but it probably still exists in some places.

I reiterate my request for the income displayed on the estate selection page at character creation to be the net income after the lord's share is taken away, or that otherwise this value be shown next to the gross income.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 08, 2016, 05:07:24 PM »
Thanks for poking us on this. I've committed this, and we'll try to get it live soon.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 08, 2016, 05:39:33 PM »
Awesome, thanks. :P