Author Topic: What is going on?!  (Read 9212 times)

Chartreuse_King

• Peasant
    • View Profile
What is going on?!
« Topic Start: February 27, 2014, 09:33:39 PM »
I would like to preface this post by saying that I am extremely new as in "I just signed-up today".  That being said I did take a look at the small getting started guides that are strewn about the wiki and found them to be invaluable in learning how to manage my personal estate.

I am left with many unanswered basic questions and am having a hard time locating answers so I am just going to ask openly to anybody who has experience with the following topics.

1.)  In the simplest way possible how does one ascertain their relative location in the world (continent, country, town)?
2.)  How does one go about joining an army?
3.)  Who/What are these "rogues" everyone seems to go on about?
4.)  How should one spend their first few turns ever to maximize the odds of having a good start?
5.)  Do you have any advice for those in Dwilight?
6.)  Are there any other helpful little tid-bits of information you wish to offer?

Sorry if most (or all) of these questions have been asked before.

Lychaon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: What is going on?!
« Reply #1: February 27, 2014, 10:06:14 PM »
Hello Chartreuse_King, and welcome to this great game! You'd do great on visiting the wiki, since many of these questions are answered there:

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Manual:Getting_Started

Anyway, I'll give my little personal piece of advice.

1. If you mean how to see where you are in every moment, you'll see at the bottom of your character's screen the name of the region you are. Note that in Battlemaster, there're no cities or towns "inside" the regions, but different kind of regions, amongst which some of them are Townsland, Cities and such. You can access a global map of the continent you are at, going to: Information_ Global information_ Dynamic map

2. In order to join any of your realm's army, your Liege has to assign you to it. Thus, the best you can do is writing him/her, swear your fealty, and ask for being assigned. This will take the time he needs to see your message and do it.

3. Rogues are rebels, peasants, rabble... call it as you like. When starvation or lack of control by a realm over a region causes a revolt and there're no troops to keep order, the region will go rogue. It won't belong to any realm until somebody "convinces" the peasants to join the realm back.

4. It really depends on each realm's situation. If you've got already an estate, sometimes it'll be to go to the capital to recruit some more men, or whatever...

5. Roleplaying in Dwilight is great, and it's great to be involved with your realm sharing messages and such. Don't lose patience if your realm mates take some time to reply.

6. Again, the best you can do is having a quick look at the link. The rest you'll learn on time, just enjoy!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 27, 2014, 10:20:21 PM »
I would like to preface this post by saying that I am extremely new as in "I just signed-up today".  That being said I did take a look at the small getting started guides that are strewn about the wiki and found them to be invaluable in learning how to manage my personal estate.

Welcome! Glad to have you in BattleMaster.

Do you mind if I ask how you found the game?

I am left with many unanswered basic questions and am having a hard time locating answers so I am just going to ask openly to anybody who has experience with the following topics.

Unfortunately, the documentation for the game is sadly lacking. We are better at coding it than we are at describing how it works. :-\

1.)  In the simplest way possible how does one ascertain their relative location in the world (continent, country, town)?

On your family page, the list of characters is organized by continent, with the characters on each continent having its name as the header for their section.

When you are logged into a character, you will see a status bar at the bottom that includes, in the center, the name of the region you are currently in. It is also a link to a page with details about that region, including the realm it belongs to. Furthermore, you can view the Dynamic Map (from the Information page), which will highlight the region you are located in. It also has overlays to indicate the extent of realms and duchies, and a number of other useful pieces of information.

2.)  How does one go about joining an army?

If you have an estate, your Lord will be able to assign you to an army. If you do not, then under Politics, you should have a link that allows you to assign yourself to an army.

3.)  Who/What are these "rogues" everyone seems to go on about?

In general, "rogue" means "not belonging to any realm." However, people quite often use the term "rogues" to refer to the monsters and undead that spawn periodically throughout the game's regions.

4.)  How should one spend their first few turns ever to maximize the odds of having a good start?

There isn't really much of a snowball effect in BattleMaster. If you want to have a good time, my advice is to talk to people, get to know who's who in the realm you're in, and especially who's interested in actually being friends. The best way to "do well" in BattleMaster, in my experience, is to have a group of in-game friends on whom your characters can rely.

5.)  Do you have any advice for those in Dwilight?

Don't trust a Himoura? Umm...Dwilight's really not that different from the rest of the game, overall, so the majority of advice for people there would be advice that applies in general.

6.)  Are there any other helpful little tid-bits of information you wish to offer?

BattleMaster is primarily a game about interaction, and there is no win condition. You're most likely to have fun if you focus on the stories being told by the actions your characters take, and spending time in the game with friends, rather than becoming too invested in winning a particular war or personal rivalry.

If you have other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 27, 2014, 10:28:16 PM »
Hello Chartreuse_King, and welcome to this great game! You'd do great on visiting the wiki, since many of these questions are answered there:

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Manual:Getting_Started

Anyway, I'll give my little personal piece of advice.

1. If you mean how to see where you are in every moment, you'll see at the bottom of your character's screen the name of the region you are. Note that in Battlemaster, there're no cities or towns "inside" the regions, but different kind of regions, amongst which some of them are Townsland, Cities and such. You can access a global map of the continent you are at, going to: Information_ Global information_ Dynamic map

I personally prefer the political map, especially if you are just starting out. It gives you simpler information, and loads quicker. You can also click on the regions more easily.

You can also see some small amount of the nearby lands in your "travel" map.

3. Rogues are rebels, peasants, rabble... call it as you like. When starvation or lack of control by a realm over a region causes a revolt and there're no troops to keep order, the region will go rogue. It won't belong to any realm until somebody "convinces" the peasants to join the realm back.

More frequently monsters and undead, of which there are currently many infesting most realms across the game. It is part of an event, and it is uncertain what shall happen...

4. It really depends on each realm's situation. If you've got already an estate, sometimes it'll be to go to the capital to recruit some more men, or whatever...

The first really important thing that you can do to have good start is to introduce your character to the realm. The characters who talk will almost always get positions over those who don't. You can also get ingame/IC advice from people in your realm. Especially your lord.

In terms of movement, people normally travel to the capital. You can find out where your capital is by going to "information/realm and regions". You can get some more troops, and some healers (orders/paraphernalia). In region along the way you can get scouts.

Finally, I wouldn't rush it. Battlemaster takes time. Lots of it. And not in that you need to spend hours at a time, but most things happen over a long time period. You don't need to worry about making mistakes because you don't know enough. You will continue to learn for months and years to come as you play.

PS: some of this has already been said, as it was posted while I was typing, but too lazy to re-edit.

Chartreuse_King

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 28, 2014, 04:18:33 AM »
Lychaon, Anaris, and Bael I wish to thank you three for your advice.  I feel as though my grip on how the game operates has become far less tenuous.

Anaris to answer your question as to how I came to find this (rather interesting) game I actually stumbled across it while taking a wiki walk through Tv Tropes and came across this little page:
  http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BattleMaster

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 01, 2014, 08:58:55 PM »
+1

Welcome
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 01, 2014, 09:01:45 PM »
Don't trust a Himoura? Umm...Dwilight's really not that different from the rest of the game, overall, so the majority of advice for people there would be advice that applies in general.

Tim, that's solid advice for ANY continent.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Chartreuse_King

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 05, 2014, 06:14:17 PM »
Sorry to keep sounding so green but why shouldn't I trust a Himoura?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 05, 2014, 06:15:56 PM »

The Himoura family has a long history of schemes and betrayals. They frequently speak fair words, but commit foul deeds.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 05, 2014, 09:57:35 PM »

Don't listen to the naysayers. Come with me, I have a wonderful bridge to sell you.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 06, 2014, 04:55:22 AM »
Also I have a huge fortune locked away by the banks, but due to an error, its stuck in bonds. If you transfer me all of your gold, once I build up enough I'll be able to withdraw my massive fortune of bonds, and will pay you back plus 10% of my fortune. Also, you can marry a Nigeri--- Fissoan Princess.

Zakilevo

« Reply #11: March 06, 2014, 05:39:33 AM »
Don't listen to the naysayers. Come with me, I have a wonderful bridge to sell you.

I don't remember getting any wonderful bridge following you :o

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 06, 2014, 06:18:54 AM »
You didn't hold out for the better offer then. Shouldn't jump at his first suggestion. :P

Eirikr

« Reply #13: March 06, 2014, 06:49:17 AM »
He once told me that I could buy an entire realm! For a small fee, I'd get an entire swath of Atamara! He also muttered something about rabbits on the banners and some such, but it didn't sound important.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 06, 2014, 10:07:44 AM »
He once told me that I could buy an entire realm! For a small fee, I'd get an entire swath of Atamara! He also muttered something about rabbits on the banners and some such, but it didn't sound important.

Rabbits on the banners? That's a filthy lie. :p