Author Topic: Future of Atamara  (Read 37097 times)

Jens Namtrah

Re: Future of Atamara
« Reply #15: April 29, 2014, 08:19:55 AM »
Well, Talerium is turning out to be terrifically fun to play in so far, even without the thoughts of war. And there are a few little subplots starting. It will take time.

Hopefully players will start to roleplay  a bit more, make new plots & relationships, counter cultures, and then...figure out ways to pick at The Empire. Perhaps something like  the the Roman Empire vs. the constant barbarian threats & Senate plots.

It will sort itself out, if the leaders give players enough freedom to experiment a little

Eirikr

« Reply #16: April 29, 2014, 08:04:39 PM »
Lyonesse: Managed to piss off both Darka and CE somehow.

First you start with some miscommunication and then elect a Himoura. Let simmer for a week.

As for the future of Atamara, though, I'm not sure. I think it'll entirely depend on how Darka disperses and who they egg on... There'll be a lull while anti-CE characters are becoming trusted enough to actually take a seat of power anywhere else. I hope it doesn't get too boring in that time...

Then again, maybe the CE will have time for its own internal issues now that it has no clear enemy. It's a fact of human civilization that people are easily united when presented with an enemy, but begin to fragment when they have to work to figure it out.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: April 29, 2014, 09:39:50 PM »
That just means they need to manufacture a new enemy.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: April 29, 2014, 09:42:51 PM »
I think part of the point is, they're running out of regions where an enemy can reside...

However, I think you're actually right. What is most likely to happen in a situation like this (especially if the people in charge of CE, or similar monolithic empire-realm at the heart of such a bloc, are politically savvy and recognize the danger of complacency) is for some of the outlying realms—particularly those almost-most-recently added to the Empire—to be declared somehow in rebellion, and "reconquered." Repeat as needed to keep your populace in line.

We have always been at war with Eastasia.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Thehatter

« Reply #19: April 30, 2014, 03:57:38 AM »
If you are looking to piss of the empire just make a realm called Motoland. It will drive them crazy.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: April 30, 2014, 05:15:20 AM »
I think part of the point is, they're running out of regions where an enemy can reside...

However, I think you're actually right. What is most likely to happen in a situation like this (especially if the people in charge of CE, or similar monolithic empire-realm at the heart of such a bloc, are politically savvy and recognize the danger of complacency) is for some of the outlying realms—particularly those almost-most-recently added to the Empire—to be declared somehow in rebellion, and "reconquered." Repeat as needed to keep your populace in line.

We have always been at war with Eastasia.

I think the CE leadership is a little wiser than that, plus you all forget CE nobles know how to RP quite well and they enjoy it. Never really dull in the realm. mm what sad is everyone is switching their duchies to other realms... I am getting confused on who to speak to who not to speak too. busy busy bees
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Thehatter

« Reply #21: April 30, 2014, 05:59:26 AM »
You can talk to moto .... But do you want to speak with the old hag ........ How brave is wind lol.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: April 30, 2014, 06:10:46 PM »
I imagine someone will put on the red shirt and stand up. Even if they have to be volunteered for the "honor" by someone else. It's not too difficult to find someone to go to war with, if you can be pretty confident that you'll win.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Thehatter

« Reply #23: April 30, 2014, 06:23:23 PM »
BattleMaster in spaceeee.........

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: May 01, 2014, 12:59:56 PM »
From, again, what little I hear about Atamara, however, Darka has utterly refused to try to take any new lands, and the realms losing land in the east of AT have either tried and failed, or just sort of run around like chickens with their heads cut off until it was too late to try anything. However, I'd be most pleased to be proven wrong in this.

Darka didn't refuse. There simply was no chance. It was already in a situation where CE would side with any realm we chose to attack, making any land gains improbable at best. We only managed the former Lyonesse lands because the lord of Hawthorne decided to join us and effectively kill his former realm. The ice simply moved too fast and crippled our recruiting ability while we were defending what little we gained against CE. The preceding Ice Trolls made it that much worse since we lost regions even before the ice took them over. The way the whole thing works really screwed us over and the little bonuses given to help were as good as an insult.

Did I propose a joint action plan with Rieleston and Minas Leon? I did. Rieleston largely didn't bother replying to anything. Maybe after a third letter they'd reply something that didn't address anything I'd asked or said. Minas Leon simply said it was too risky. So yeah..not much you can do in that situation.

That beats the Duchess of Azzal dragging half the realm into Talerium without bothering to mention it to anyone first

You still insist on calling him a her. Don't wonder why he doesn't like you.
Future of Atamara?

Every day I care less and less about it, but over all I don't see it being that bright.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: May 02, 2014, 05:22:46 AM »
Every day I care less and less about it, but over all I don't see it being that bright.

Good I'm not the only one feeling this way
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #26: May 02, 2014, 08:43:25 AM »
I think the stories of CE having taken over the entire island are just a tad exaggerated. Look at the map.

There only needs an alliance of Realms concerned about that to band together to splinter the whole place again. Depends on leaders being able to shake off "We've always been friends of CE" for a few minutes and look at them as a threat to their own sovereignty, and enough players to get their nobles behind a fight. 

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: May 02, 2014, 08:49:14 AM »
I think the stories of CE having taken over the entire island are just a tad exaggerated. Look at the map.

There only needs an alliance of Realms concerned about that to band together to splinter the whole place again. Depends on leaders being able to shake off "We've always been friends of CE" for a few minutes and look at them as a threat to their own sovereignty, and enough players to get their nobles behind a fight.

:D
Been there, done that.
~Violence is always an option!~

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: May 02, 2014, 09:08:57 AM »
Someone ought to set their unit to murderous.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #29: May 02, 2014, 11:19:31 AM »
Conversely, if CE are such good role-players, and considering the heady days that must be occurring there right now, perhaps a faction will push to "finish the job" and control the whole island, forcing the issue a bit.

Assuming that isn't already happening.