Author Topic: mentors?  (Read 2452 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
mentors?
« Topic Start: May 06, 2015, 02:47:56 AM »
Can we do something about the lack of a mentor channel? Island-wide ooc newbie channel. Opt-in dedicated mentor channel. Whatever. Just something. New players need a way to get help beyond just whoever happens to answer them ig. (Assuming anyone does that, even.)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: mentors?
« Reply #1: May 06, 2015, 03:00:58 AM »
I've got some quarter-finished code lying around for this. I just need to dig it up and put the rest together. I may have time to do something about it this week; I'll have to see.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 23, 2015, 05:34:16 PM »
I've got some quarter-finished code lying around for this. I just need to dig it up and put the rest together. I may have time to do something about it this week; I'll have to see.

This is prob a stupid question, but why did the former mentor system disappear? When I first started (like 11 or 12 years ago) that system worked perfectly and provided some fame possibilities for the mentors as well.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 23, 2015, 06:16:49 PM »
This is prob a stupid question, but why did the former mentor system disappear? When I first started (like 11 or 12 years ago) that system worked perfectly and provided some fame possibilities for the mentors as well.

iirc the idea was that mentoring shouldn't be an IG thing, but something between players (old system had mentors as a subclass, you could even "write" books)

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 24, 2015, 10:41:21 AM »
Makes some sense, although I still think the old system worked better than what we have now. I used to be a mentor (sub class) and it was easier to keep track of them all and help them and for the newcomers it gave them a friendly face to begin with as well. I still try to do this with my char in Caergoth for instance, but it's bit more complicated now.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela