Author Topic: The Wiki Reformation Project  (Read 4399 times)

Abstract

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
The Wiki Reformation Project
« Topic Start: October 13, 2018, 02:11:15 AM »
The Wiki Reformation Project (WRP) is what I am calling my attempt at improving the wiki. I've previously made some changes to the wiki in order to improve it but I think they were ill-conceived. The results aren't bad but the methodology could be better. In order to avoid this I want to work on an outline of the changes first. This will help prevent mistakes that will then need to be undone. The best way, in my opinion, to do this is to have an outline of the entire picture and then get into the finer details. I've divided the wiki into three main sections: the manual, the individual island pages, and the community portal. The manual functions as a hub for raw information about the game mechanics. The island pages function as a hub for all  information relating to just that island, and the community portal which is a hub for only recent information of the islands (with "see also" access to older info) or the more universal aspects (game updates, records, family pages, etc.)

At the moment, I've been going solo on this project and the previous changes. While I do not mind going alone I figure it is best to be transparent. Transparency helps prevent confusion and enables support (directly, through joining in and helping edit the pages; and indirectly, by giving feedback/discussion.)

With the wiki divided into three main sections it only makes sense for the WRP to then be divided into three main stages.

Stage 1: The Manual. The manual is the first thing you see on the main page of the wiki and needs to be updated. So it only makes sense to start here. The Manual Page will simply be a table of contents that links to various articles with the technical information. Above the table of contents will be a link to the "Basics" page for the impatient. Once the table is made the pages added to it will be checked for accuracy or created. It is possible that some, or all, of the pages will be checked/created as the table is being made. Below the table will be a section of unused pages that already exist in the manual. After the table and all of the pages in it have been checked then the unused pages will be sorted into parts of the used pages or into an archive/other section on the Manual Page.

Stage 2: The Islands - The island pages will remain mostly the same and feature several main sections: realms, newspapers, religions, guilds, items(?), history, and roleplays(?). Region pages will be adjusted when needed as well and perhaps have a section on the main island page. Appropriate categories, concepts, and properties will be laid out before creating what is needed and applying the changes to the wiki.

Stage 3: Community Portal - Will utilize the categories, concepts, and properties from Stage 2 in order to organize current content into a single place.

These are vague outlines and a more specific outline will be made when that stage is reached. More stages may be made but these three should cover almost everything. Stage 2 is going to be the largest of the bunch and will need to be separated into different parts. For instance, Stage 2 Part 1 - Realms. An outline would be made for what to do with realm pages and then it would be implemented.

That's all I have for the general outline of the WRP. I have made a decent portion of the Stage 1 outline and will post it when I am done. Hopefully I will finish it tonight but it might be a couple days.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: The Wiki Reformation Project
« Reply #1: October 14, 2018, 09:27:28 AM »
This is awesome! Great of you to be picking this up after Jacob previously proposed to do it.

I had been looking at the wiki of another game, which we could look in to steal some ideas from (layout, link, features,...)

http://wiki.utopia-game.com/index.php?title=Welcome_to_the_Utopia_Wiki
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Abstract

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 19, 2018, 09:10:09 PM »
Small Update (added as a reply instead of edit to make it more noticeable):

The outline of the manual is still being made. I'm going to go in more detail than originally planned so it may take another week. When finished with the outline many of the changes will be ready to implement right away. Right now it looks like Stage 1 will have about 3 parts. Part 1 will be creation and organization of a "Guide" which will help newer players navigate through the manual. Part 2 will be an organization of all "manual" pages in a table or different format. Part 3 will be clean up of all other pages. Part 1 will be ready to implement as soon as the outline is done. It is possible that part 2 will be ready as well. The only thing that is guaranteed to not be ready is Part 3.

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 21, 2018, 09:41:35 AM »
I think you're missing a fairly substantial - if often static - component of the wiki and that's Family pages. Whilst many players never gat around to adding Family pages, where they do exist they often provide a fascinating insight into the character of BM and the reasons a number of us have been playing for years.

It's a pity that the game metadata exposed for Realm pages doesn't include an automated list of families currently active.

Abstract

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 22, 2018, 06:34:27 PM »
I certainly did forget about family pages, thanks for the reminder. Something with family pages will have to be done in the community portal which is a long way off at the moment. Can do something like "recently updated family pages" which will have say, the ten most recently updated family pages. It is an imperfect solution but that will for the most part keep active players on there. Throw that along with some type of category of "good" family pages voted on here on the forum maybe.

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 29, 2018, 12:11:24 AM »
Recently updated pages will be a good addition. To be honest I've not much vision for the wiki (well, not beyond my own Family Pages anyway) but if you want some help on the technical side of any of the changes you're contemplating don't hesitate to PM me.