Author Topic: Under Debate: Customizing Feudal Titles  (Read 6947 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Under Debate: Customizing Feudal Titles
« Topic Start: October 10, 2016, 06:55:09 PM »
Title:
Customizing Feudal Titles

Summary:
Grant the Ruler the ability to change titles of lords and dukes to match/develop realm-culture

Details:
If this topic has already been broached and I missed it, I apologize in advance. I would like to see a discussion about implementing title changes in-game. Currently, the ruler has the ability to change the title of the realm council. I would like to see that extended to being able to customize regional lords as well.

Benefits:
IMO, being able to customize lord titles may go a long way towards cementing individual realm cultures. I believe there is a reason why players are excited to be called something other than King or Queen. Having that unique feel can go a long way towards contributing to a roleplay environment. Furthermore, I think the implementation of player-generated, non-standard titles like we see in guilds, for example, will make intra-realm interaction a bit more flavorful. For example, Marquis instead of Margrave, master instead of senator, etc.

Possible Downsides/Exploits:
Right off the bat, I figure that different titles will make it difficult for outsiders to interpret or acclimate to the hierarchical structure.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:02:36 AM by Vita »
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Zakilevo

Re: Customizing Feudal Titles
« Reply #1: October 10, 2016, 07:11:38 PM »
I am pretty sure this is one of those often asked but often rejected features.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 10, 2016, 07:29:06 PM »
I am not wholly against this, but one must exercise caution in this area.

If you were to join a realm, and find yourself greeted by the High Flender of Darfix, how would you know whether that's the Lord of the region Darfix, the Duke of the duchy Darfix, or one of the government members of the realm Darfix?

If your realm has a High Doge, a Grand Duke, and a bunch of Herzogs, how is anyone supposed to know what any of them mean?

Truly, I don't doubt that there are players in BM—with you most likely among them—who could use this to make a more interesting and immersive feel for a realm, without compromising discoverability. But given some of the government position titles I've seen, I also have absolutely no doubt that allowing this will create a lot of confusion that we really don't need.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: October 10, 2016, 07:34:57 PM »
I am not wholly against this, but one must exercise caution in this area.

If you were to join a realm, and find yourself greeted by the High Flender of Darfix, how would you know whether that's the Lord of the region Darfix, the Duke of the duchy Darfix, or one of the government members of the realm Darfix?

If your realm has a High Doge, a Grand Duke, and a bunch of Herzogs, how is anyone supposed to know what any of them mean?

Truly, I don't doubt that there are players in BM—with you most likely among them—who could use this to make a more interesting and immersive feel for a realm, without compromising discoverability. But given some of the government position titles I've seen, I also have absolutely no doubt that allowing this will create a lot of confusion that we really don't need.

This should be really easy. We can use the hierarchy page to organize titles and their ranks. It could use some work so it is more like a graph than just indented lines.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 10, 2016, 07:53:29 PM »
We might be more open to adding additional title systems, in addition to the simple, classic, size, complex, republican, democratic choices? That is, if someone had a proposal for a new system choice to be added, we could see about implementing it, but as far as complete custom choice, that seems unlikely.

In other matters, I have long thought that 'Royal's should be renamed to 'Prince's or 'Royal Prince's, as a better title text.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 10, 2016, 09:43:42 PM »
I understand Anaris' concerns but maybe a middleground can be reached here.
Just add more preset options for government types, like "Monarchy classic", "Monarchy Japan", "Monarchy Norse", "Republic Roman", "Tyranny Roman", etc.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 10, 2016, 09:59:05 PM »
From Roleplaying purposes, I definately want to see this implemented. I could use it as well.

However, and it's stated above, it will be extremely difficult to understand who's what. I was told to look for some 'Vasilif Dragomir' on DWI only to find out that Vasilif is in fact the title and not first name of the character.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Chamberlain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 11, 2016, 12:00:01 AM »
I was Kronogos of Nivemus for a good long while and to this day I have problems spelling the other government positions...

Now I'm leading Nothoi.... and similar problem lol

I find myself refering to "The Judiciary" a lot, or "theMilitary" so nobody knows I can't spell... I also have the whole 'call me Dave' thing going on because I find my own title hard to spell - thank goodness its a democracy or I wouldn't get away with it at all... :-\

Zakilevo

« Reply #8: October 11, 2016, 12:38:24 AM »
I wouldn't mind having something like YourTitleName(Role)

So if your ruler title is SUPER GREAT KING then when someone gets a letter from you, they will get something like SUPER GREAT KING (Ruler)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #9: October 11, 2016, 01:15:00 AM »
This should be really easy. We can use the hierarchy page to organize titles and their ranks. It could use some work so it is more like a graph than just indented lines.

Doesn't this basically solve/address all of your concerns?

The Feudal Title Presets is a great idea too, but that would definitely be my second choice

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: October 11, 2016, 03:37:21 AM »
Reminded me of current Morek Empire government and its region lords.

Current Ruler is called Grand Duke.

Region lord is called Duke or rather I created duchy for them to call themselves Dukes.

Dukes have voting right to vote in Grand Dukes.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: October 11, 2016, 05:02:47 AM »
I was Kronogos of Nivemus for a good long while and to this day I have problems spelling the other government positions...

Now I'm leading Nothoi.... and similar problem lol

I find myself refering to "The Judiciary" a lot, or "theMilitary" so nobody knows I can't spell... I also have the whole 'call me Dave' thing going on because I find my own title hard to spell - thank goodness its a democracy or I wouldn't get away with it at all... :-\

When I started in Xavax I had trouble remembering how to spell "Xerarch", so I started using the honorific "Grace" (I.E., Her Grace, Your Grace, His Grace) when referring to the Xerarchs past and present. And don't get me started on Nivemus, I just copy/paste the character's title I'm dealing with (like Kronogos) or use an honorific like "Honored Peer" or "Honored Ally".

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: October 11, 2016, 03:47:24 PM »
For some reason I always have the most issues with whatever title people use for the banker :p

Nivemus titles strangely enough I know quite well, but Nothoi is indeed a desaster with Diachi or something for ruler and what not? Half of the time in some realms when I just join I have to look up what the hell someone's role is when I see a letter from them.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #13: October 11, 2016, 05:38:01 PM »
So the consensus I'm gathering is, as a whole,w e are more or less in favor of getting additional customization options?

Zakilevo

« Reply #14: October 11, 2016, 05:57:22 PM »
So the consensus I'm gathering is, as a whole,w e are more or less in favor of getting additional customization options?

Well nobody was ever against it. Just that it got pushed because it wasn't that important.