Author Topic: Under Debate: Customizing Feudal Titles  (Read 6934 times)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
Re: Customizing Feudal Titles
« Reply #15: December 03, 2016, 10:06:28 AM »
I like the idea and had situations where i would have used this.(Old Madina, where dukes where called governors and lords land owners, even knights wheren't called knights but citizens)
It adds allot to the unique atmosphere of a realm.

The problem with not knowing what a title means could be easily solved by adding a simple (Lord) or ( Duke) behind it.
For example: Sir Franz Katzenkopf, Furblop of Darfix (Duke) thus he is the duke of Darfix.

The current system can already be confusing for less experienced players, where we can pick between a few select options.
Its already useful to add game title in brackets right now i believe.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: December 05, 2016, 02:05:20 AM »
Well, first off, we can already customize lordship titles, to a certain extent. We've got a dropdown menu that allows a few choices, such as the republican one where they are all senators.

I think having a few more presets could be the best option, though. The problem isn't only that you don't know what the titles of your *peers* is, which can indeed be somewhat fixed with a bulletin note, but that one does not only interact with nobles of their realms. If each realm has their own weird titles, it stacks up, and any benefit you gain from having the power to use special titles for yourselves is kinda lost by having to learn a dozen new titles for everyone else.

Honestly, I'm not too sure that we need more lordship titles, though given that they are now largely interchangeable (count vs baron vs earl, for example), perhaps we could simply allow more customization with those, plus maybe a few more non-european prests. So that a realm could decide mountains are held by earls and townslands by counts, for example.

The main boon, however, would be customizable ducal titles. I think these are the ones realms have the greatest tendency to want to make their own names for. Same realms have called their dukes kings, for example, others governors. Viceroys could also work, and governor general as well. Adding realms the ability to customly name their duke titles could be made non (or less) confusing by modifying the way it displays in signature, with: Bob McGee, King of the duchy of Boogeria. "of the duchy of", in the signature, would tell readers that the preceding title is a ducal one, no matter how misleading the chosen title is. Alternatively, again, we could just brainstorm a dozen ducal titles and offer a preset. Or offer a dev-review feature, like realms that want to upload new flags.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: December 05, 2016, 02:40:38 AM »
We might be more open to adding additional title systems, in addition to the simple, classic, size, complex, republican, democratic choices? That is, if someone had a proposal for a new system choice to be added, we could see about implementing it, but as far as complete custom choice, that seems unlikely.

In other matters, I have long thought that 'Royal's should be renamed to 'Prince's or 'Royal Prince's, as a better title text.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #18: December 05, 2016, 06:02:17 PM »
I missed that note. Would you like for us to brainstorm some additional system choices? Maybe base them on historical styles
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: December 05, 2016, 06:20:36 PM »
So what would other titles be, anyways? For lordships?

Maybe add a "plain" title system to the presets: lords are "lord", simply put.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: December 05, 2016, 06:54:15 PM »
I missed that note. Would you like for us to brainstorm some additional system choices? Maybe base them on historical styles
Brainstorming additional system choices is more likely to see approval. Still depends on the actual set of choices, whether its approved. And then someone to implement. But implementation is vastly simpler to just add a new set, just a matter of taking the time to do it.

I have no objections to 'plain' style.

Attano

• Noble Lord
  • Diplomacy! Violence! Pasta!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: December 07, 2016, 09:34:07 AM »
I think a few more title styles would be nice.  Especially non-European ones and Roman, Norse and Egyptian.
Once the Daleborn family, now the Attano family.