Author Topic: lord freedom  (Read 3331 times)

mik87

• Peasant
    • View Profile
lord freedom
« Topic Start: December 15, 2016, 09:24:35 PM »
Was wondering how far your freedom goes as a local lord.
1.Can you be ordered to build a specific recruitment center or demolish one? What about shops.
2.Can you be ordered how high your taxes should go?
3.Can you be ordered not to organize a tournament?

Zakilevo

Re: lord freedom
« Reply #1: December 15, 2016, 10:13:50 PM »
1.Can you be ordered to build a specific recruitment center or demolish one? What about shops.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes - You can't stop people from attending existing tournaments but you can stop lords/dukes from hosting one.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 16, 2016, 01:18:54 AM »
You *can* be ordered, but I'd say anyone doing so is micromanaging the lords. Stand your ground! Defend lord's rights to set your own taxes, build and destroy your own RCs and workshops, and to organize tournaments.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 16, 2016, 02:49:16 PM »

Zakky has already answered your questions game rules wise.
Yet also mind that realms can be very different, one realm can order these things and another wouldn't even ask it.

But also, this game isnt at all about following orders, its also your game, your story and your plot.
Perhaps your character has a certain personality that makes him stuborn, selfish or even ridiculously uncooperative.
I personally prefer playing the kind of characters that stir up stuff, cause active reactions or plot against fellow realm members instead of just the enemy.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 16, 2016, 04:58:40 PM »
I for one wouldn't take such orders as a Lord.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 20, 2017, 05:30:26 PM »

As it has already been stated, there are no game OOC rules against any of these things.

However, for 1) people ordering this usually have good reasons and are usually willing to pay you for it. Recruitment centers are a local investment, but a realm resource. A realm's military capacities is largely dependent on its recruitment centers, so it's unsurprising when leaders want to manage this.

For 2), this is rarer, but I've seen it happen. Sometimes a lord sets it arbitrarily low, which 1) can mean for decreased realm wealth if he has a lot of knights and 2) can lead to discontent peasants in nearby regions if their taxes are higher.

For 3) well, if your realm is in the middle of a war, I could see the leadership not really wanting a tournament being held. Those cost a bunch, are unlikely to yield profits, and will disproportionately drain your own military capacity for its duration.

In all cases, though, you can resist orders, either directly (I will not do this!) or less directly (Oh I don't have the funds for this. Oh, oops, I didn't see your message in time). Be prepared to assume the consequences of your actions, though. "I think this recruitment center is actually widely used and we don't have the funds to gamble on a new one at this critical time" might fly better than "Go to hell, you lousy micro-manager, I'll do whatever I feel like!".
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 20, 2017, 07:10:05 AM »
1. Yes. You can choose to disobey the orders but unless you friendly with your realm Judge, do expect punishment coming in soon enough. What Zakilevo say anyway. Good benefits to your realm recruitment centers, military strength with good weapon and armour. Even better when some other characters are prepared to fork out gold to fund the new recruitment centers in your region.
2. Yes. There are some instances where region lord goes against the orders and if you are bordering region lords, you can change to another realm.
3. Yes. Especially in times of war and not peace. If it is peace times, then that is No. You may organize as you wish and when. But again, the "friendly" with your realm Judge will help you more.

As it has already been stated, there are no game OOC rules against any of these things.

However, for 1) people ordering this usually have good reasons and are usually willing to pay you for it. Recruitment centers are a local investment, but a realm resource. A realm's military capacities is largely dependent on its recruitment centers, so it's unsurprising when leaders want to manage this.

For 2), this is rarer, but I've seen it happen. Sometimes a lord sets it arbitrarily low, which 1) can mean for decreased realm wealth if he has a lot of knights and 2) can lead to discontent peasants in nearby regions if their taxes are higher.

For 3) well, if your realm is in the middle of a war, I could see the leadership not really wanting a tournament being held. Those cost a bunch, are unlikely to yield profits, and will disproportionately drain your own military capacity for its duration.

In all cases, though, you can resist orders, either directly (I will not do this!) or less directly (Oh I don't have the funds for this. Oh, oops, I didn't see your message in time). Be prepared to assume the consequences of your actions, though. "I think this recruitment center is actually widely used and we don't have the funds to gamble on a new one at this critical time" might fly better than "Go to hell, you lousy micro-manager, I'll do whatever I feel like!".
Chenier, you just given me and other players ideas how to play our characters differently. Thanks a bunch ;)

However to be on safe side, if you "friendly friendly" with Judge, that will tip his Judgements in your favor even if you as region lords not following orders. The problem I foreseen is that Judge usually is the "following orders" type, which is happening frequently in many realms nowadays. Which make all region lords scare of the Judge. Maybe all lords should work together to protest the Judge and defend their lords rights you know you want to do that? 8)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 20, 2017, 03:47:17 PM »
3. Yes. Especially in times of war and not peace. If it is peace times, then that is No. You may organize as you wish and when. But again, the "friendly" with your realm Judge will help you more.

Your rights as a player are not dependent on whether your realm is at war or at peace.

All players have an inalienable right to attend tournaments; however, that right does not extend to being able to organize tournaments.

You can be ordered not to organize a tournament at any time.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: February 21, 2017, 01:06:36 AM »
Your rights as a player are not dependent on whether your realm is at war or at peace.

All players have an inalienable right to attend tournaments; however, that right does not extend to being able to organize tournaments.

You can be ordered not to organize a tournament at any time.
Thank you for the clarification, Anaris.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)