Author Topic: How to remove Duke?  (Read 4412 times)

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
How to remove Duke?
« Topic Start: January 09, 2017, 01:46:24 AM »
I need to remove an inactive Duke. My character is a realm Ruler. I could not believe I cannot remove Duke when I was the one who appointed Duke.

Any help would be appreciated.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: How to remove Duke?
« Reply #1: January 09, 2017, 01:49:57 AM »
If he's really inactive, he will autopause.

Why do you need to get rid of him? If there's something specific you need him to do, give him an order. If he's just logging in often enough not to auto-abdicate, and not checking messages, he'll fail to follow the order, and you can ban him after a while.

If he reads the message, and follows the order, then you don't really need to get rid of him.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 09, 2017, 01:59:08 AM »
I need him to appoint a region lord within his duchy and he failed to do so, despite my many letters asking him to do so.

Waiting for autopause is going to take awhile if he keep login to maintain just enough not to auto-abdicate.

I hate it that Ruler cannot do anything to a Duke currently :(

P/S: I just found out something, maybe I should create a duchy out of the vacant lordship region the duke hold sovereign over.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 09, 2017, 02:00:22 AM »
P/S: I just found out something, maybe I should create a duchy out of the vacant lordship region the duke hold sovereign over.

If you don't have a problem with him remaining a Duke, and the region remaining part of his new Duchy, then I believe that should work.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #4: January 09, 2017, 02:27:24 AM »
Ban his ass for disobeying your orders.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 09, 2017, 11:18:49 AM »
Little pro tip, send an assasin after his ass first to wound him before you ban him to circumvent some nasty side-effects from banning him.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 09, 2017, 05:34:00 PM »
Little pro tip, send an assasin after his ass first to wound him before you ban him to circumvent some nasty side-effects from banning him.

Haha, it is true what they say. The political court is much deadlier than the most vicious battlefield!
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 10, 2017, 03:53:17 PM »
Banning a duke can both be the dumbest and smartest thing a judge can do. Just depends on the composition of the realm. ;)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 11, 2017, 01:27:41 AM »
If you don't have a problem with him remaining a Duke, and the region remaining part of his new Duchy, then I believe that should work.
Will have to leave me with another Duke and possible another political struggle and headache to boot? If that nevermind, I think it is doable.

Ban his ass for disobeying your orders.
Ban probably work. Need get judge on my side and a story about that disobeying order duke.

Take the Duke out long enough to make him lose the title eh? Or long enough to unable to muster supports? This will lead me down the Dark side of the Force. But can't have disobeying Duke around, or else the realm will suffer from the no region lord appointment.

Haha, it is true what they say. The political court is much deadlier than the most vicious battlefield!
Usually rewarding supporter with Dukeship only to have them turned out to be inactive and disobeying orders later on. A political struggle between Ruler and Duke can be fascinating to watch. And a good time to employ many tactics and strategies in political arena.

Banning a duke can both be the dumbest and smartest thing a judge can do. Just depends on the composition of the realm. ;)
Having enough supporters eh? ::)

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 11, 2017, 11:28:07 AM »
I'm pretty sure 3 days wounded is enough. He won't lose his position automatically, but if you ban him right after the assasination he will not be able to secceed his city and once banned I'm 95% certain that he'll just lose all his positions.

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 11, 2017, 12:47:50 PM »
That is the key right there. Dukes wield an amazing amount of power, a feature of the game I actually love. There are some very well thought out checks and balances for the upper levels of leadership.

Wounding a Duke and then banning him so that he cannot cede his Duchy is so cloak and dagger! Love it!
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 11, 2017, 02:54:31 PM »
Having enough supporters eh? ::)

I mostly meant how many cities/duchies your realm has. If your realm has only one, unless things have changed since my departure, or there's a bug, the duke is unable to switch allegiance to keep his titles. Therefore, the risk when banning him is small. But now, if your capital is in a tiny duchy with a tiny miserable city, and the duke has a super rich city, 90% of the realm's regions, and is next to a realm that's not likely to side with you against him... then banning him is pretty much a "how to kill my realm" move. He can either switch to that other realm, or secede and invade you.

Heck, pretty sure a few realms started that way. D'Hara did: there was turmoil, and the dumb judge banned a duchess from Shadovar. She seceded to form D'Hara, and invaded all of Shadovar.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 11, 2017, 06:02:44 PM »
That's why you've got to be a royal duke!

But Chenier don't underestimate the power of Dukes. Even if you ban me as the Duke of the capital, I'd have the power to destroy all RC's etc in the city just as payback before I leave. That's assuming the Duke is also the Lord, which is often the case.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 11, 2017, 06:21:02 PM »
That's why you've got to be a royal duke!

But Chenier don't underestimate the power of Dukes. Even if you ban me as the Duke of the capital, I'd have the power to destroy all RC's etc in the city just as payback before I leave. That's assuming the Duke is also the Lord, which is often the case.

Well, as I said, depends a lot on the realm. Not all capitals are super rich or have a ton of RCs. Also, a few options aren't available to banned nobles anymore, not sure if recruitment center destruction is or not (feels like it shouldn't). Not all dukes are lords of cities either. Dukes can certainly have tremendous power. But they don't always.