Author Topic: Change to the Infiltrator Class  (Read 3563 times)

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
Change to the Infiltrator Class
« Topic Start: January 10, 2017, 09:49:37 PM »
Ok, so I was thinking about this the other day. There are extremely few Infiltrators in BM these days, and I think that is a detriment to the game. Honestly, as a noble playing as an Infil is super hard. It also doesn't make that much sense.

A feudal aristocrat, running through the shadows and stabbing nobles in the back? That doesn't sound right.

What I am proposing is that Infiltrator becomes a class of Adventurer. I got the idea reading a post about someone playing an evil adventurer, and how lame it is that every adventurer character you meet is good and just and serving their realm. It sucks that it is hard to play a mischievous or evil adventurer.

But if Infiltrators were adventurers, that would open up a whole new world to the adventurer game. It would also make sense in a medieval atmosphere way. I think more people would play that role as adventurers, cause what have you got to lose? You are already constantly on the brink of death or execution, no change there. But now you can have a cause and effect relationship with the nobles other than selling scrolls or unique items.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Change to the Infiltrator Class
« Reply #1: January 10, 2017, 09:50:37 PM »
I already have an overhaul of the Infiltrator class sketched out—not to become a different kind of ninja, but rather to become what they should always have been: a spymaster.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 10, 2017, 09:53:04 PM »
But what about the possibility of shifting that role to the adventurer class? Ninja or spymaster, neither seem like likely jobs for a noble in a feudal society.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 10, 2017, 09:56:13 PM »
But what about the possibility of shifting that role to the adventurer class?

Not very high. For a number of important balance reasons.

Ninja or spymaster, neither seem like likely jobs for a noble in a feudal society.

...You don't think nobles should be spymasters? It sounds like exactly the kind of job they'd be great at.

It's not something you advertise to the world. On the contrary, to all outward appearances, you're just another courtier, talking, gossiping, drinking...but all the while, your "little birds" are out gathering you information, or spreading the right lies. After the party is over, you retire to your rooms, to find a pigeon on the windowsill with a message canister on its leg. You read the report, nod to yourself, pen a quick reply, and put it back in the message canister before sending the pigeon back on its way.

Three hours later, the docks are on fire.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 10, 2017, 10:28:29 PM »

It's not something you advertise to the world. On the contrary, to all outward appearances, you're just another courtier, talking, gossiping, drinking...but all the while, your "little birds" are out gathering you information, or spreading the right lies. After the party is over, you retire to your rooms, to find a pigeon on the windowsill with a message canister on its leg. You read the report, nod to yourself, pen a quick reply, and put it back in the message canister before sending the pigeon back on its way.

Three hours later, the docks are on fire.

Awesome.
Do you imagine these 'spymasters' able to gather information from noble communications, reports or activity?
Or are you suggesting the current infiltrators capabilities to remain the same, yet change the underlying mechanics?

I seriously think catching information and especially messages would create a very interesting role for the infiltrator.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 10, 2017, 10:37:58 PM »
Intercepting messages has, over the years, been repeatedly considered and discarded as a possibility.

However, gathering information about a city at a distance would surely be something useful.

In general, I would consider the sabotage aspects of the current infiltrator strong candidates for being retained, and possibly even improved somewhat, given the changes I'll be making to the rest of the class.

Assault would probably still be a thing it was possible to do, but riskier than now, and much riskier than the rest of the kit of the reworked infiltrator (which I've been calling "Instigator").

As for the changes...the plan is to have them actually build up networks of (NPC) contacts in areas where they want to operate, who can then bring them information. Then they can place (NPC) Agents who can carry out specific sabotage missions, and may end up getting caught if they haven't been allowed to gather enough information on the target. (Or if they just get unlucky.)

Then if they're loyal enough to you, they die before revealing your name. Otherwise you may end up with a ban...but since you haven't had to actually be there since you started building your contact network, that's not nearly as much of a danger as it would be under the current system. If they want to find and eliminate all your Agents, they'll have to engage in some harsh policing practices, and it's nearly impossible to root out all your Contacts in a city of any size.
Timothy Collett

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 11, 2017, 01:29:59 AM »
I uhm... looking forward to be infiltrator someday when the change implements. Will be reading any bits about infiltrators with keen interest :)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Attano

• Noble Lord
  • Diplomacy! Violence! Pasta!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 11, 2017, 04:53:36 AM »
I definitely think that having Agents would be great.
Once the Daleborn family, now the Attano family.

mik87

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 16, 2017, 12:08:39 PM »
I still think assault should allow you to kill the victim-permanent consequances.
It could have these posibilities: -you succed and victim dies
                                                  -you succed and victim is wounded
                                                  -you fail and escape
                                                  -you fail and get wounded during escape
                                                  -you fail and die

It would  worth the risk then. As it is now it's pointless. Wounding can happen randomly in battle.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 12:12:51 PM by mik87 »

Zakilevo

« Reply #9: January 16, 2017, 01:21:21 PM »
Well people have been asking that for years and Tom has denied it for years. Yes, immortal characters is one of the big issues of the game but at the same time it is there so people can choose when to die.

There is a feature that will eventually be implemented which allows your character to die from any serious wounds with a click of a button. But once you click that 'Yes make my character petty mortal' button you will die from various things and will not be able to unclick the button like becoming a hero.

Attano

• Noble Lord
  • Diplomacy! Violence! Pasta!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 16, 2017, 01:23:23 PM »
I still think assault should allow you to kill the victim-permanent consequances.
It could have these posibilities: -you succed and victim dies
                                                  -you succed and victim is wounded
                                                  -you fail and escape
                                                  -you fail and get wounded during escape
                                                  -you fail and die

It would  worth the risk then. As it is now it's pointless. Wounding can happen randomly in battle.
If you're target is a Hero they die. It has just been one of those things, you wanna die, be a Hero.
Once the Daleborn family, now the Attano family.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 16, 2017, 01:43:42 PM »
If you're target is a Hero they die. It has just been one of those things, you wanna die, be a Hero.

That is not true. Heroes can only die in battle.
Timothy Collett

mik87

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 16, 2017, 03:08:11 PM »
How should we react IC to sucesful assault on a character? From an IC perspective stabed people might die. From an OCC perspective we know it won't happen.