Author Topic: Funeral Games  (Read 21538 times)

DeVerci

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Funeral Games
« Reply #45: May 17, 2017, 06:14:52 PM »
Nobles mean very little when you have no gold and keep throwing away your armies.  8)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: May 17, 2017, 06:55:11 PM »
It's 5 on 1...

This must be the most naive look on the current war.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: May 17, 2017, 07:04:05 PM »
Yeah I would not call this a gangbang. Almost the entire continent is involved. If it was 5 on 1 GX probably wouldn't be here anymore...

Honestly, I think it is quite an exciting war! Been a long time since anything like this happened on the EC. And I only see the other realms getting more involved in the future.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: May 17, 2017, 07:46:05 PM »
This must be the most naive look on the current war.

Well if we want to be rude:

The Caligus general was sabotaging the war effort because he was convinced Vix were friends: not allies
Caligus is the only realm that can march to directly aid GX.

Hence 5 on 1.

It's naive to say oh this is one war when it spans the continent and there are multiple fronts (conflicts), hence why my character has taken to calling it the Xavax Wars. In the southern theatre, yes, it is 5 on 1 and we are grossly out gunned and bound by moral obligations to not kill rape and slaughter, which while apparently cause distress in noble conversation, are conveniently ignored for the player convenience of fighting "neo-CE".

Perleone is useless and Perdan has taken a lot of me-time, but the southern theatre is still... 5 on 1.

And we won't mention the rampant powergaming of using our advies to scout.

So let's put on our thinking caps again.

Southern theatre. 5 on 1. Infinite gold and scrolls versus nobles forced to immigrate because of islands sinking.

Doesn't that feel good? Thinking? :)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: May 17, 2017, 07:50:07 PM »
Wow. I'm not even going to respond on that.

At least some are having fun, I guess!
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: May 17, 2017, 07:59:24 PM »
Wow. I'm not even going to respond on that.

At least some are having fun, I guess!
I'm definitely having fun, just don't be rude to others. "I'm not sure how you figure that" vs "wow that must be the most naive look on this war".

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: May 18, 2017, 05:15:28 AM »
Yeah I would not call this a gangbang. Almost the entire continent is involved. If it was 5 on 1 GX probably wouldn't be here anymore...

Honestly, I think it is quite an exciting war! Been a long time since anything like this happened on the EC. And I only see the other realms getting more involved in the future.
This is how EC, and BM, used to be. Realms engaged in cosntant warfare against other realms. This is how BM should be played.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: May 18, 2017, 03:48:27 PM »
Edit: Nothing is perfect. I quit after Aurvandil died but have rejoined recently due to my over curiosity and love for the game :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 06:31:32 PM by DoctorHarte »
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Purrcious

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: May 19, 2017, 05:02:12 PM »
And we won't mention the rampant powergaming of using our advies to scout.

Is this true? I read that the Devs discourage this 'Powergaming' that I keep hearing about. If using Adventurers to scout is powergaming, then why isn't this dealt with yet? I should also mention that Adv being able to see info of an area steps on Infiltrator Territory (although I'm not sure about this because I'm new.) I just made my first adventurer yesterday and I was surprised I could see the nobles in the region.
Calm like a Tiger, Quick like a Cheetah, Fierce like a Lion,
Silent like a Puma, Agile like a Jaguar, Lazy like a House Cat!

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #54: May 19, 2017, 05:50:02 PM »
Is this true? I read that the Devs discourage this 'Powergaming' that I keep hearing about. If using Adventurers to scout is powergaming, then why isn't this dealt with yet? I should also mention that Adv being able to see info of an area steps on Infiltrator Territory (although I'm not sure about this because I'm new.) I just made my first adventurer yesterday and I was surprised I could see the nobles in the region.

It is dealt with, to an extent. Adventurers suspected of spying have been executed on both sides. Of course, in Xavax they have a chance to prove their innocence before they are killed. The "Powergaming" refers to when an advy is killed simply for being part of a family with a noble from an enemy realm with otherwise no in-game interaction suggesting that the advy in question was do anything other than hunting monsters.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: May 19, 2017, 11:18:52 PM »
I have to favor the other side a little here. People seem to think adventurers can roam the continent all willy nilly. Such is not the case. Adventurers belong to realms. For example,

Noble X is part of Caligus. That player has Adventurer X who belongs to GX. Adventurer X wanders up to Castle Ubent hunting monsters. Since Vix Tiramora is at war with GX, I think it is perfectly reasonable to arrest and subsequently execute Adventurer X. And really, Vix doesn't need to explain itself or have any other proof than suspicion. It is a commoner. Dime a dozen. No rights. A citizen of an enemy realm.

However, if Noble X is part of Caligus, and has Adventurer X who belongs to Vix Tiramora, and Vix arrests Adventurer X and executes based solely on their family name, then I would consider that unsportmanlike gaming. However, I have not heard any reports of this matter. All executions that I have heard of have been adventurers from enemy realms.

I will further elaborate. Gilth was a founding member of Vix, and he also defected to GX. I think it is safe to say that the Gildre name was rather well known. I have an adventurer on the EC, Alvira, who belongs to Vix as a member of the realm. She has been arrested, beat up, and executed zero times by Vix Tiramora.

She has, however, been arrested by Caligus while traveling on the border. Good catch on Caligus' part. The Judge at the time let me off with a warning (mad dope love btw), but that was his own personal decision. I got caught by an enemy realm and was completely at their mercy.

I think realms should be suspicious of adventurers, and I also think that realms should employ adventurers as behind enemy lines scouts way more. They wouldn't have the Scout Region option if it wasn't intended for them to pull some risky maneuvers like that.

I will say though, if you are playing an adventurer and you are arrested by your own realm and executed based on your family name, that should be brought up. While it doesn't go against any rules that I am aware of, it is the player playing as a player, rather than playing as their character. Or "meta" gaming as you crazy kids call it these days.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #56: May 19, 2017, 11:30:02 PM »
If someone hadn't executed my first advy for no good reason, I never would have made Selenia.

I hope the Xavax Wars result in a lot more Selenias.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: May 20, 2017, 05:28:35 AM »
You can see nobles present in a region (they'd be obvious with their banners, retinues, and units), but you don't get unit info of those nobles.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: May 20, 2017, 05:33:39 AM »
I have to favor the other side a little here. People seem to think adventurers can roam the continent all willy nilly. Such is not the case. Adventurers belong to realms.
I agree with this so much. When I was playing a Judge, the best way to inspire me to execute an advy was if I noticed they had betrayed their realm just to join their noble character's realm, the advy presumably used as a tool of their noble.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: June 14, 2017, 02:23:07 PM »
This is how EC, and BM, used to be. Realms engaged in cosntant warfare against other realms. This is how BM should be played.

haha, that's not how I remember things to be. I remember mostly a lot of gridlock alliance blocs, eternal peace, and gangbangs against any and all rabble rousers. And the dev team and Tom needling to repeatedly prod players with soft and hard incentives to break the stagnation and do stuff, a few occasions spawning rather serious threats from Tom against involved rulers. AT was the worst, but I think EC was pretty bad too. All had some good moments in at least some parts, but I'm not sure I'd have qualified those at the norm, or how it "used to be". EC I think had a tendency to have long rotations between lasting wars and lasting peace, while AT was really more stagnation than anything. The introduction of a "too much peace" mechanic wasn't happenstance. It didn't stay because it had its share of faults, but it did underline a serious problem of the time.

BM's metagame has evolved much since. There are more smaller scale wars, more wars in general, and more leniency to trouble makers. Back then, a realm doing a sneak attack on its neighbor was likely to result in 10 realms ganging up to destroy them, while now there are more greater odds of neighbors letting them fight it out or, if joining, trying to even the odds more than making them as lopsided as possible.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron