Author Topic: Rejected: World Wonders  (Read 2256 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Rejected: World Wonders
« Topic Start: April 27, 2017, 10:27:58 PM »
Summary: Build a Wonder
Details:
  • We play in a game where War is not always fun and expansion is not always possible, or even worthwhile. I’d like to give players, as realms, another thing to work toward. I think that if a realm comes together and dedicates a large amount of resources to building something cool, maybe there should be something in the game that supports it. I want to take something that is normally covered in roleplay concepts and implement it the same way statues and monuments have been implemented, just on a larger scale and with some in-game benefit that would be randomly assigned by the Devs, like in Sid Meier’’s Civ games. The cost of a world wonder would be tremendous, I mean like 100k gold, and I envision wars being fought over their possession. One Wonder might significantly boost food production, reduce paganism or monster spawns, improve morale in all of the owner’s regions, provide an amazing low-cost RC, maybe one allows for the repair of magical items, preventing the opening of Portals or casting of spells in any of the owners regions, or perhaps it will guarantee human safety from Daimons and Rogues. I feel like for the effort, all of them would provide at least a small boost to the owner’s regional taxes.
Benefits:
  • I feel like the benefit to players would be obvious, it ads a whole new dimension to roleplay, for sure, but also on a national scale. Crusades to capture or defend these amazing works could redefine gameplay and international politics. A Wonder would be built in a region, just like a statue or a monument, and it’s description would be written by the players and approved by the Devs or Titans. Realms would have to REALLY dedicate themselves, and even then it would take almost a full year IRL, and many years in game (which sounds realistic, actually) to accomplish this. Players always want to leave their mark on the game…imagine slapping your name on one of these! And their could even be Tiers like 1-5, the higher the better benefit and the greater cost of course...like 100kx(1-5). It would not be milestone build process like fortifications, but a one-payment sort of deal.
Possible Downsides or Exploits: 
  • As with most of my ideas, adding this option will probably mean a tremendous amount of work for the devs, but I imagine that since the vehicle for statues and monuments already exist, the only thing that would really be added here is the national benefits a Wonder provides. I do think that players may complain if they don’t get the benefit they are hoping for if the decision is left only to the devs, but I feel as though communication and working together should resolve that. Considering the literally unheard of costs I am suggesting, I don’t see how this could be easily abused. Of course, what if a player who has amassed the realm's wealth then deletes the character or something? that would really suck. Of course, if the absconded with the dough and defected to another realm...well...that adds a whole other flavor of RP...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:04:38 AM by Vita »
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: World Wonders
« Reply #1: April 27, 2017, 10:33:09 PM »
While this is a cool idea, if I were going to try and make BM more like the Civ games (which, by the way, I am addicted to), I would do it with technologies, not world wonders. Nowhere near as deep a tech tree as in those games, but things like spiral fletching for arrows, more advanced tactics...I have a list somewhere, but no brain right now.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #2: April 27, 2017, 10:49:48 PM »
While this is a cool idea, if I were going to try and make BM more like the Civ games (which, by the way, I am addicted to), I would do it with technologies, not world wonders. Nowhere near as deep a tech tree as in those games, but things like spiral fletching for arrows, more advanced tactics...I have a list somewhere, but no brain right now.

Oooo now that IS a slick idea...like if the realm researches better arrows then all ranged RC's kick up a notch right? That should def be in a different thread. Would World Wonders be an exciting asset? I certainly think so!

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #3: April 27, 2017, 10:53:37 PM »
Added
Benefits:
  • And their could even be Tiers like 1-5, the higher the better benefit and the greater cost of course...like 100kx(1-5). It would not be milestone build process like fortifications, but a one-payment sort of deal.
Possible Downsides or Exploits: 
  • Of course, what if a player who has amassed the realm's wealth then deletes the character or something? that would really suck. Of course, if the absconded with the dough and defected to another realm...well...that adds a whole other flavor of RP...

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 28, 2017, 01:09:26 AM »
I think those Anaris ideas are listed in the War Improvement Package.

Andre

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Rejected: World Wonders
« Reply #5: May 01, 2017, 12:10:47 PM »
While it was rejected here I would certainly like to see it in M&F at some later stage of the game possibly. Seems like it might be more fun and work better there.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Rejected: World Wonders
« Reply #6: May 01, 2017, 12:37:28 PM »
I'm not a fan of money dumps. It encourages those in power to hog all the wealth and then waste it away. Meanwhile, most nobles stay poor, and realms' typical mobile CS is lower than a single city's typical militia CS, which is a result desincentivizes warfare.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron