Author Topic: Approved: Add Enslavement to Troop or TO Options  (Read 2249 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Summary: Slavery           
 Details:

• Of all the despicable things we can do in game (Pillaging, genocide, rape) It occurs to me that one glaring option is missing: Taking Slaves. Let’s face it, it happened, a lot. History is full of those dirty details. My idea is that instead of stealing food, players can select the slavery option to steal a region’s population and add it to their own home region (perhaps at a cost to region morale/control). Conversely, it could also be a TO option where if you enslave 2/3s of the population, the region flips. Perhaps that would be a FAST brutal TO option, but with a high likelihood of the region revolting.
Benefits:

• If you did not want realism, then rape and genocide would not be a part of the game. Since they are, this should be too. I want to see players, good and evil, justify or vilify slavery. From a mechanics standpoint, I see it as being less effective at depleting regional populations then genocide, for example, but much faster a driving down regional control and inspiring peasant mobs.
Possible Downsides or Exploits: 

• Honestly I’m not certain how this could be exploited. Any other downside I might list is kind of superseded by the fact that rape is supported in the game (ie player emotions).

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:01:17 AM by Vita »
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Add Enslavement to Troop or TO Options
« Reply #1: April 28, 2017, 01:47:10 AM »
I would love this possibility. Your realm got devastated by a large starvation, daimons, or you want to take long-rogue nations? Get that production back up by taking pop from the neighbor!

It would basically turn population into a forcibly exchangeable commodity. You can already loot neighbors for food or gold, this would add population to the list. An extra potential incentive to wage war on others, as well as a potential to cause friction between realms. I like the direct and meta possibilities of such a mechanic.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 28, 2017, 01:48:00 AM »
I do like this idea, but I don't think I'd be willing to add it before I add a better memory for regions of who has wronged them.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
*looks at nuanced sympathy changes branch*

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
I'm 1/3 today. Better than usual!
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 28, 2017, 02:25:33 AM »
I do like this idea, but I don't think I'd be willing to add it before I add a better memory for regions of who has wronged them.

Doesn't sympathy score stick forever? At least until priests/diplomats come to take a lot of time to slowly change it?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Yes, but right now sympathy generally drifts to 85% everywhere, except for your own realm. I have a year-old branch that has nuanced changes for sympathy on a wide range of influences, to fix that, but I never tested for good balance, so never was sent live. I dread the rebase, at this point. :P