Author Topic: Sneak Peek  (Read 6577 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Sneak Peek
« Topic Start: April 28, 2017, 01:42:14 AM »
So there's a reason there haven't been any major updates of live since February. I've been working on this:

I've got all the actual functionality working now, including some major improvements to how logging in works (less clicks when your session times out, and hopefully less likelihood of losing stuff you typed).

With luck, it will go live tomorrow. With less luck, it will almost certainly still go live next week. :)

Feedback is greatly appreciated.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
Re: Sneak Peek
« Reply #1: April 28, 2017, 03:04:52 AM »
*cowers from the light*

Soooo much change! Aaahhh! I can't deal with this!!!

1. Super stoked about the heraldry. Awesome feature! Are there many options? Or will it be like realm banners where you have to make something yourself and upload it?
2. Really great info collection. Gives a great dashboard for the family.
3. I looooooove greyscale. So this sucks for me lol but it is clean and pretty IMO so I guess I can deal.
4. How well does it translate to mobile? I know since the site got a little more friendly, a LOT of players check in during the day on mobile devices.
5. I love the sorting button. I don't want to see those paused wretches greying out my family.

So all in all I think I would score this 14/17 Roughnecks killing bugs on Klendathu.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 28, 2017, 03:10:27 AM »
1. Super stoked about the heraldry. Awesome feature! Are there many options? Or will it be like realm banners where you have to make something yourself and upload it?
Many, many options. This is actually an unfinished feature from many, many years back, that a developer was working on and didn't quite pan out due to browser limitations at the time. Now, browsers are all on board, so with a few fixes, it was able to be brought on board after being long-forgotten. Also, M&F uses this too, apparently.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 28, 2017, 04:13:05 AM »
4. How well does it translate to mobile? I know since the site got a little more friendly, a LOT of players check in during the day on mobile devices.

Making sure that the layout and styles translate properly to mobile is one of the last things I have to do before sending it live.

The character cards will flow smoothly into a single column, or anything in between, due to a snazzy little JS library called Isotope.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Attano

• Noble Lord
  • Diplomacy! Violence! Pasta!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 28, 2017, 12:31:07 PM »
*long trail of drool* Me likey. A lot.
Once the Daleborn family, now the Attano family.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 28, 2017, 01:00:03 PM »
Little request: could "delete account" be put somewhere more... hidden. For the mobile, at least. Can't count the number of times I accidentally click on links just trying to scroll.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 28, 2017, 01:51:21 PM »
Little request: could "delete account" be put somewhere more... hidden. For the mobile, at least. Can't count the number of times I accidentally click on links just trying to scroll.

It takes you to a separate page, where you have to put in your email & password and a reason for deleting, then click a delete button.

If you can manage to do all of that accidentally while trying to scroll, then I'm sorry, I can't really help you. ;D
Timothy Collett

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 28, 2017, 01:52:55 PM »
It takes you to a separate page, where you have to put in your email & password and a reason for deleting, then click a delete button.

If you can manage to do all of that accidentally while trying to scroll, then I'm sorry, I can't really help you. ;D

Well, as long as auto-fill doesn't apply to that page.

Does it...?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 28, 2017, 01:53:46 PM »
Well, as long as auto-fill doesn't apply to that page.

Does it...?

I believe it does not—I will check it before sending this update live.

In any case, it certainly does not apply to the Reason For Deletion field, which is also required.
Timothy Collett

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 28, 2017, 02:23:40 PM »
I believe it does not—I will check it before sending this update live.

In any case, it certainly does not apply to the Reason For Deletion field, which is also required.

Alright, as long as there's a box that needs manual filling, it should be safe. A bunch of unfortunate clicks can occur, especially with wet fingers which makes the tactile screen go all nuts. Is there a minimum number of characters on the because box? :P

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 28, 2017, 02:24:39 PM »
Alright, as long as there's a box that needs manual filling, it should be safe. A bunch of unfortunate clicks can occur, especially with wet fingers which makes the tactile screen go all nuts. Is there a minimum number of characters on the because box? :P

Right now it's just "at least 1", but I feel like we should expand that to foil the people who delete and just put "." as their reason...
Timothy Collett

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 28, 2017, 02:26:02 PM »
Right now it's just "at least 1", but I feel like we should expand that to foil the people who delete and just put "." as their reason...
I vote for 8 so that even "because" isn't long enough :P

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 28, 2017, 10:58:27 PM »
Well, it looks like there were enough complications with getting the login improvements to work that this will not be going live tonight. Sorry, folks.

I still expect to get it done early next week. :)
Timothy Collett

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #13: April 28, 2017, 11:40:52 PM »
This is amazing. can't wait!
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: May 03, 2017, 03:05:41 PM »
I think it looks neat as well, by the way.

And I think all the feedback is welcome now or after it gets implemented.

Great work! 8)
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)