Author Topic: Family Trees  (Read 3942 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Family Trees
« Topic Start: May 17, 2017, 11:10:00 PM »
Every so often I find the urge to put some work into my family wiki's. I'd like to find a template for Family trees that the wiki will support. Can anyone more wiki-savvy point me in the right direction?
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Attano

• Noble Lord
  • Diplomacy! Violence! Pasta!
    • View Profile
Re: Family Trees
« Reply #1: May 17, 2017, 11:44:53 PM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Chart

This should be compatible, Wikis usually have the same syntaxes.

EDIT: Just tried, doesn't work, sorry.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:47:03 PM by Attano »
Once the Daleborn family, now the Attano family.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #2: May 18, 2017, 12:10:53 AM »
Yeah i tried ALL of them. no dice  :'(

Attano

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 18, 2017, 08:34:05 AM »
I've got a keyboard based one. It's not pretty, but it's functional.

Father______Mother
              |
              |
              |
          Child

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 18, 2017, 11:45:09 AM »
I'd love to get my hands on one as well, but for the moment I just use some family tree configurator and save the result as a picture. Unfortunately, these free tools don't let you save your work for later, meaning you would have to make the entire tree from scratch everytime something changes.

I'm definitely going to look into whether we can get one to work.. But I'm not a wiki expert either.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #5: May 18, 2017, 01:17:25 PM »
Does anyone know why the wiki charts and templates Attano listed earlier do not work for our wiki? I tried the code for each one and nadda.

Also, strangely enough, if you use our wiki and search "family tree" it brings you to a specific page rather than parsing the full database for key words the way the usual search goes. Meaning that if any other players out there wrote anything about their family trees, I can't find it via the search function.

Attano

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 18, 2017, 01:19:21 PM »
Also, strangely enough, if you use our wiki and search "family tree" it brings you to a specific page rather than parsing the full database for key words the way the usual search goes. Meaning that if any other players out there wrote anything about their family trees, I can't find it via the search function.
For some weird reason, you have to click search instead of pressing go.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 18, 2017, 01:58:26 PM »
Does anyone know why the wiki charts and templates Attano listed earlier do not work for our wiki? I tried the code for each one and nadda.

I just briefly looked into this.

It seems we would have to export and import those templates (Chart) from the wikipedia. Tried it, but it's quite technical. It includes installing modules, extensions, opening up permissions to these extensions, editing the code etc..

Therefor I was not able to import the Template, unfortunately, hence why it's not usable on our wiki instance. I will be poking Vita if he has an idea about this.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #8: May 18, 2017, 04:38:57 PM »
You guys have so much on your plate that I hate to heap more onto it.

But

It would be really cool to have the ability to do this on our wikis. Thank you for taking the time to look into this for us!

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 18, 2017, 05:06:54 PM »
This is where I found the best solution for adding a family tree to your own wiki: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:Rd366n12ylig1uqp

However, I have not tried it out. I have been meaning to create a wiki page but.. I get caught up in too many things.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 18, 2017, 05:21:50 PM »
There has been conversation amongst the devs. It would more likely involve display in-game, rather than on the wiki.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 18, 2017, 05:35:24 PM »
There has been conversation amongst the devs. It would more likely involve display in-game, rather than on the wiki.

Which would be way cooler!  :o Not enough people go on the wiki to look at a family page. I went on Selenia's page and damnnnnn there is so much to read!
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #12: May 18, 2017, 06:23:58 PM »
Which would be way cooler!  :o Not enough people go on the wiki to look at a family page. I went on Selenia's page and damnnnnn there is so much to read!

She's been around the block a few times, friend. It was actually Vita who helped me make all that readable in the first place. But you are right, the wiki does seem a tad bit under-utilized, but surely it would be easier to do as Wimpie suggested rather than add a family tree view to BM itself?

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see it done, but I'm down for whatever's easier/faster

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #13: May 18, 2017, 11:35:32 PM »
I put a little something together because I HAD to have something to satisfy my need for instant gratification.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/JeVondair_Family/Family_Tree#JeVondair_Family_Tree

Feel free to copy code and make your own.