Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Message group size limit

Started by Chenier, August 11, 2011, 04:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chenier

What's the reasoning behind putting a size limit to message groups?

I would have wanted to create a message group for everyone for diplomacy and political talks, for which uninterested people could then have opted out.

Is there a reason I can't lump more than 50% of the realm in any given message group?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

The limit was put in place when people were creating groups that included the whole realm, minus one or two people, in order to specifically exclude those people from discussions in the realm.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

Quote from: Indirik on August 11, 2011, 04:16:03 AM
The limit was put in place when people were creating groups that included the whole realm, minus one or two people, in order to specifically exclude those people from discussions in the realm.

What's so wrong about this that it requires an OOC measure? Being excluded in such a way is fair grounds for IC dissent, and a good reason to just pack and leave. I doubt such a thing would be done randomly, so why not?

This measure, imo, more often than not means that instead of alienating 1% of the realm, people are forced to alienate 50% of the realm or more. To keep everyone in complete ignorance because of the fear of one or a few individuals. This doesn't contribute to gameplay...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

While I wasn't a dev at the time (this was done way back in '07 I think), it would seem to be that excluding one or two people, or some other subset of players from the realm discussions is very anti-social thing to do. It's a not a "group of friends around the table" type of move.

De-Legro

Quote from: Chénier on August 11, 2011, 04:18:53 AM
What's so wrong about this that it requires an OOC measure? Being excluded in such a way is fair grounds for IC dissent, and a good reason to just pack and leave. I doubt such a thing would be done randomly, so why not?

This measure, imo, more often than not means that instead of alienating 1% of the realm, people are forced to alienate 50% of the realm or more. To keep everyone in complete ignorance because of the fear of one or a few individuals. This doesn't contribute to gameplay...

Because it was being used in a OOC way by OOC clans to consolidate their hold on a realm? Every realm I've been in uses a message group for political discussions, and another for military discussions and we have never had a problem with the message group size limits.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Adriddae

Send a message to everyone in the realm. That more or less takes into account the 100% of people.

Chenier

Quote from: Indirik on August 11, 2011, 04:22:45 AM
While I wasn't a dev at the time (this was done way back in '07 I think), it would seem to be that excluding one or two people, or some other subset of players from the realm discussions is very anti-social thing to do. It's a not a "group of friends around the table" type of move.

How is excluding 50%+ of the realm any worse than excluding 1% of the realm?

Quote from: Adriddae on August 11, 2011, 07:40:41 AM
Send a message to everyone in the realm. That more or less takes into account the 100% of people.

I am. But I've been sending a lot of messages, and I wanted to give people an option to opt out, because some players (maybe not in my realm) and quite content to just follow orders. I just thought of SA, where some people asked to be demoted because the chatter volume was too high for them.

Indirik

Quote from: Chénier on August 11, 2011, 12:24:53 PMHow is excluding 50%+ of the realm any worse than excluding 1% of the realm?
I think the "If more than 50% of the realm are interested, then send it to everyone" rule.

If some people don't want to be bothered by all realm messages, then too bad for them. BattleMaster is a game of communication. If you don't want to communicate, then why are you playing? A few people who don't want to hear some political discussion can just ignore it. It's a lot easier on *everyone* for that 1% to ignore the few extra messages than it is for the ruler of the realm to have to specifically tailor and update a message group just so they don't have to put up with them. If you want special circumstances, then you're the one that has to make the effort. It's not everyone else's job to  expend the extra effort to put up with your foibles.