Author Topic: New Island Ideas  (Read 25012 times)

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: New Island Ideas
« Reply #45: August 12, 2011, 09:56:26 PM »
I do like the idea of more room for smaller realms, but I haven't seen it on Dwilight. The small either die or grow. They do not remain small. And often the only reason they manage to grow and stay alive is because every realm in the vicinity is too occupied by monsters and undead in their own regions.

I think this quote is quite baseless. Many of of dwilight's realm's remain relatively small. If you divided up Dwi into small, medium, large and growing, there would be: 3 large, 4 medium, 6 small and 3 growing.

Large: Astrum, Morek, and Caerwyn (we'll count Caerwyn despite recent events)

Medium: Luria Nova, Summerdale, Libero Empire, Terran (some of these are actually quite small by most standards)

Small: Fissoa, D'hara, Madina, Corsanctum, Asylon, PeL

Growing: Barca, Itaulond, Aurvandil

And new realms dont start just cause everyones too busy fighting monsters, they start because large realms are unstable in dwi and friendly successions become necessary, ie. Luria Nova/ Pel. Or because lot's of free land makes succession easier, ie. Aurvandil/ Madina. Or because they receive support from their neighbors in order to battle the insane monsters on dwi ie. Barca.

Fact is your best chance of being part of the process of starting a new realm comes from being on dwilight.
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: August 13, 2011, 12:57:11 AM »
I think this quote is quite baseless. Many of of dwilight's realm's remain relatively small. If you divided up Dwi into small, medium, large and growing, there would be: 3 large, 4 medium, 6 small and 3 growing.

Large: Astrum, Morek, and Caerwyn (we'll count Caerwyn despite recent events)

Medium: Luria Nova, Summerdale, Libero Empire, Terran (some of these are actually quite small by most standards)

Small: Fissoa, D'hara, Madina, Corsanctum, Asylon, PeL

Growing: Barca, Itaulond, Aurvandil

And new realms dont start just cause everyones too busy fighting monsters, they start because large realms are unstable in dwi and friendly successions become necessary, ie. Luria Nova/ Pel. Or because lot's of free land makes succession easier, ie. Aurvandil/ Madina. Or because they receive support from their neighbors in order to battle the insane monsters on dwi ie. Barca.

Fact is your best chance of being part of the process of starting a new realm comes from being on dwilight.

Yeah, you do have a point. I wouldn't quite devide it in the same way you did i.e calling D'Hara small (it has 3 cities!) but I think I was a bit too harsh there. It actually has small realms :) The ones you call growing are in fact small, and the ones with more regions but still only 1 city.

What frustrates me is that it is soo much bureaucracy (atleast in Summerdale) and fighting monsters/undead that there is no time for real wars.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: August 13, 2011, 01:52:33 AM »
Bring me at least 500 new players, and we can talk about new islands.

'If you build it, they will come.'
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: August 13, 2011, 02:17:51 AM »
If you think one man can't make a difference, you obviously haven't been on Dwilight. One look at Allison Kabrinski's history, and you would know what I'm talking about.

Allison is a woman  ::)
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #49: August 13, 2011, 03:59:17 AM »
Fine then, how about Baal? He plunged half the continent into war.

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: August 13, 2011, 01:31:55 PM »
Fine then, how about Baal? He plunged half the continent into war.

I thought he was busy ruling the 5th act of Diablo II: Lord of Destruction ;)

Jokes aside, of course someone can make a big difference. But the bigger the island, the harder it is, and way more luck is required.
But ok, I'll take it as a challenge. Maybe I can learn to like the bigger maps...it should work :p

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: August 13, 2011, 04:48:06 PM »
You'll have to leave Summerdale, though. Nothing ever happens in there  :P
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #52: August 13, 2011, 06:29:04 PM »
All you need on the bigger maps is a proper sense of scale. Know who you need to influence. Know which realms hate each other.

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: August 14, 2011, 03:20:03 PM »
You'll have to leave Summerdale, though. Nothing ever happens in there  :P

Tss,

I was in Libero Empire for a short time too. I think even less happend there :p

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: August 14, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
Tss,

The should fight eachother  8)
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: August 14, 2011, 10:50:37 PM »
Tss,

Okay, let's make this more clear then:
Go somewhere else and try again.[/size]

SA isn't fighting itself. No surprise there. Probably until Caerwyn/Itaulond is soundly crushed and Astrum has stabilized afterwards, the SA corner will lack internal conflict on a large scale. There's just no reason for it. That's the point of religious unity: it diffuses conflicts. Project aggression outwards with crusades and stuff.

So go somewhere you could logically expect conflict. You know, places that aren't one big contiguously secure and civilized bloc. Try Astrum, which has a war and tons of rogues. Try Corsanctum, which has plenty of rogues, a Vatican-ish status (you could do soemthing with that, maybe), and connections to D'Hara. Try a Lurian realm: they're in the process of colonizing Shinnen, and could probably use some more nobles. Try Madina or Aurvandil: both have rogues to deal with, and an active war against each other. Try Terran or Barca: we have near-constant fighting against rogues, and a good amount of internal politics as well. Try Asylon: they're fighting monsters, worshipping daimons, and breaking treaties on a daily basis.

Yes, Dwilight will require that you learn to maintain a region in an efficient way. You won't be able to be a lord of a border region and take an income without ever having to hold court. But there is plenty to do on Dwilight. The 4th largest realm, militarily, is Terran, and we really only have 2 functional duchies: Shokalom is still way low on population and production. There are plenty of small realms, plenty of conflicts, and plenty to be done.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: August 14, 2011, 11:22:59 PM »
Okay, let's make this more clear then:
Go somewhere else and try again.[/size]

SA isn't fighting itself. No surprise there. Probably until Caerwyn/Itaulond is soundly crushed and Astrum has stabilized afterwards, the SA corner will lack internal conflict on a large scale. There's just no reason for it. That's the point of religious unity: it diffuses conflicts. Project aggression outwards with crusades and stuff.

So go somewhere you could logically expect conflict. You know, places that aren't one big contiguously secure and civilized bloc. Try Astrum, which has a war and tons of rogues. Try Corsanctum, which has plenty of rogues, a Vatican-ish status (you could do soemthing with that, maybe), and connections to D'Hara. Try a Lurian realm: they're in the process of colonizing Shinnen, and could probably use some more nobles. Try Madina or Aurvandil: both have rogues to deal with, and an active war against each other. Try Terran or Barca: we have near-constant fighting against rogues, and a good amount of internal politics as well. Try Asylon: they're fighting monsters, worshipping daimons, and breaking treaties on a daily basis.

Yes, Dwilight will require that you learn to maintain a region in an efficient way. You won't be able to be a lord of a border region and take an income without ever having to hold court. But there is plenty to do on Dwilight. The 4th largest realm, militarily, is Terran, and we really only have 2 functional duchies: Shokalom is still way low on population and production. There are plenty of small realms, plenty of conflicts, and plenty to be done.

I appreciate the tips, and who doesn't like animated text with a clear message? ;)
But I don't think Summerdale as a realm is the problem. It is the fact that Summerdale can't do anything except region maintenance (including monster killing) because if we stop the whole realm dies by itself. It does not seem to be the only realm with this problem.

Why is it like that on Dwilight but not on EC or Far East? The code is not different is it? (except for the testing vs stable-thing)

PS. and what do you mean SA does not fight itself? That is no natural law is it? History is filled with christians killing other christians because they interpreted the faith in a different way, or about which pope to follow.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 11:29:57 PM by Kain »

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: August 14, 2011, 11:42:34 PM »
SA is currently involved in a crusade.  It won't fight itself until that's done, at least.

Dwilight has higher incidences of rogue spawns which make just maintaining difficult unless you have civilized lands on all your borders.  Just the way it is.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: August 14, 2011, 11:42:43 PM »
Once Caerwyn is down, the SA realms will tear each other apart, and SA with it :)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: August 14, 2011, 11:52:35 PM »
Dwilight has higher incidences of rogue spawns which make just maintaining difficult unless you have civilized lands on all your borders.  Just the way it is.

I presume their size, or how many it takes before a horde forms, is also increased?