Author Topic: Picked up by patrols  (Read 14531 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Picked up by patrols
« Reply #30: September 02, 2011, 01:34:38 AM »
Indeed. Last turn I arrived in an enemy region, with no nobles/militia, did 3 high risk counts of stealing tax gold, and a medium risk production sabotage. All successful without even getting noticed by the guards, as there were no reports of increased guard activity. The next turn, I'm picked up by patrols.

Hm.  The only thing I can think of is that performing actions increases patrol activity...Higher chance of being caught at turn then?  Dunno.  That certainly sounds weird.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: September 02, 2011, 02:27:48 AM »
Well, usually when your actions get noticed, the next sabotage you attempt will have a warning saying something like 'the guards are on high alert and patrols have been doubled'. I didn't get any of that, and my last tax break-in stated that it went unnoticed completely.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: September 02, 2011, 02:45:52 AM »
Well, usually when your actions get noticed, the next sabotage you attempt will have a warning saying something like 'the guards are on high alert and patrols have been doubled'. I didn't get any of that, and my last tax break-in stated that it went unnoticed completely.

Random bad luck? So far as I know at the beginning of every turn you have a chance of being captured in enemy regions, no reason to suspect that the previous infil work had anything to do with it.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #33: September 02, 2011, 02:54:56 AM »
Random bad luck? So far as I know at the beginning of every turn you have a chance of being captured in enemy regions, no reason to suspect that the previous infil work had anything to do with it.

I don't THINK it is factored in. In any case, I typically get picked up ENTERING the region, when no one has been doing any infil work yet.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: September 02, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »
you just have to ask if other non-infil nobles get picked up when entering regions with no troops.
firefox

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #35: September 02, 2011, 07:45:11 AM »
you just have to ask if other non-infil nobles get picked up when entering regions with no troops.

that won't tell me if my infil skill is affecting my chances. they CAN get picked up - we don't know the factors that increase the likelihood.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: September 06, 2011, 05:28:32 AM »
Yes. Because he's a noble.

People know he's there.

Doesn't mean they need to know exactly where he is in the city at all times of day, though. I imagine that when you go stab someone, you don't just walk up to him and tell him "Hey, I'm Bob, and I'm here to stab you". The same discretion could be used for the infiltrator's movements within the city, in other words, by not getting caught by the militia as much. Because while you are sure there will be someone in the city to recognize you, I'm rather confident the serfs have more to worry about than memorizing hundreds of peoples' faces that they never saw and were likely never to see either.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: September 06, 2011, 07:21:19 AM »
Infiltrators only sneak around when they are actively doing their dirty deeds.

That means that you stride into town with your unit and retinue, settle yourselves at an expensive hotel, and then around midnight, you sneak out the window and skulk your way up to the palace.  You sneak in, stab the Grand Vizier, and sneak back to your rooms.  There, you take off your incriminating black outfit and put on your sumptuous nightclothes.  In the morning, you get up, put on something extravagant and noble, and continue strutting on your merry way.

In other words, a were-ninja? "Civilized during the day, these creatures become silent killers during the night!"

One has to wonder when they get time to sleep with all of that pretending and then going off to do dirty deeds.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: September 06, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
One has to wonder when they get time to sleep with all of that pretending and then going off to do dirty deeds.

That's what jail time is for.  ;D
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: September 06, 2011, 01:17:37 PM »
The same discretion could be used for the infiltrator's movements within the city, in other words, by not getting caught by the militia as much.

And guess what?  Infiltrator skill makes you less likely to be picked up by patrols.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: September 06, 2011, 03:11:55 PM »
In other words, a were-ninja? "Civilized during the day, these creatures become silent killers during the night!"
:P Awesome!
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: September 06, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
And guess what?  Infiltrator skill makes you less likely to be picked up by patrols.

How significantly, though? People are stating that they see about the same rates of capture between infils and non-infils. Perhaps that's bugged?

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: September 06, 2011, 06:46:16 PM »
Well, I'll be monitoring capture rates for my infil from now on. Last week's capture happened in the second turn in enemy lands, at 50% infiltration skill, give or take. I'm heading out there again, let's see how it goes.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: September 06, 2011, 07:02:26 PM »
How significantly, though? People are stating that they see about the same rates of capture between infils and non-infils. Perhaps that's bugged?

There is definitely an effect.  It's not as strong as I thought, though, having run a few simple simulations.  It comes to roughly a factor of two range in your chances of capture.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: September 06, 2011, 09:06:24 PM »
There is definitely an effect.  It's not as strong as I thought, though, having run a few simple simulations.  It comes to roughly a factor of two range in your chances of capture.

Perhaps it should be tweaked? Most infil actions are moot if your army occupies the region, particularly so because your own troops makes it harder for you to operate.