Author Topic: takeover mechanics  (Read 10277 times)

egamma

Re: takeover mechanics
« Reply #15: September 07, 2011, 02:57:05 PM »
this explains much. i knew that friendly takeover is easily disrupted, and with the same logic brutal takeover is hardest to disrupt.

Really? I was thinking that the friendly takeover--if the region really, really likes you--could continue with 0 soldiers present, while the brutal would require constant looting or at least armed forces to continue. And the hostile takeover, of course, requires lots of soldiers in region--hostile should probably be the easiest to disrupt using troops.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: September 07, 2011, 03:40:40 PM »
FTOs can even be completed without any military presence, in exceptional cases (Barca). FTOs also require only half the men to safely start, so that should be a good indication.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: September 07, 2011, 05:34:55 PM »
They are easy to disrupt, though. A single looting incident, no matter how minor, will stop it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: September 07, 2011, 08:59:06 PM »
They are easy to disrupt, though. A single looting incident, no matter how minor, will stop it.

But battles aren't looting.

FTOs require sympathy, and looting is quite bad for sympathy anyhow.

Indeed. What if they are traveling? Could the region's realm keep their troops from arriving for an extended period of time, presumably until the main army arrives?

Indeed indeed. What about traveling troops? I could totally think of ways to exploit this if travelling troops are counted.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: September 07, 2011, 10:26:19 PM »
i would say that battles cause damage which annoys peasants during friendly takeover, so even some hopeless attack can disrupt it, so that gives reasoning to logic that brutal force cannot be stopped so easily.

as regards to exploitability, i am not sure about it. if travelling troop slow takeover down, you can use delay arrival once and that would be about it.

i would use subject of the thread to pose one more question - is it a bug if the realm whom we hate can begin friendly takeover against us (seen on dwilight)?!

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: September 07, 2011, 10:32:42 PM »
The type of TO that you can run safely depends on sympathy of the peasants. Apparently your peasants don't share the Hatred that much (Though perhaps the Hatred status could/should put some continuous / one-time downward pressure on said sympathy in your regions. If that isn't the case, since I don't know the exact workings on Hatred, that could be a good feature request. That should make it harder to run FTOs, though it wouldn't be impossible)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: September 07, 2011, 10:41:18 PM »
i would use subject of the thread to pose one more question - is it a bug if the realm whom we hate can begin friendly takeover against us (seen on dwilight)?!

Each region has a different opinion of other realms. I would guess that this particular did not share your hatred of that realm.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: September 08, 2011, 12:41:34 AM »
as regards to exploitability, i am not sure about it. if travelling troop slow takeover down, you can use delay arrival once and that would be about it.

If you are only able to delay one turn, you are doing something wrong. I've done it for days at a time with my army to great effect.

Similarly, Port Nebel has just revolted to Corsanctum again. However, last I checked, they hated that realm more than anything in the world. Well, them and a few others.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:05:35 AM by Chénier »
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #23: September 08, 2011, 01:26:57 AM »

Similarly, Port Nebel has just revolted to Corsanctum again. However, last I checked, they hated that realm more than anything in the world. Well, them and a few others.

Corsanctum did not perform a friendly takeover. We would have to be at war with them if that were the case.

Now, we could have a diplomat-ninja working for them, raising sympathy of Corsanctum...I think we've just discovered the new infiltrator! Meet the diplomat, able to fling gold-coins like throwing knives, with mind-control abilities undetectable by other nobles!

However, none of the nobles of D'Hara in-region are diplomats. Pierre von Genf, Marquis of Caiyun, Ambassador of Morek Empire, now he could be causing trouble...

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: September 08, 2011, 02:09:23 AM »
If you are only able to delay one turn, you are doing something wrong. I've done it for days at a time with my army to great effect.

The new delay arrival button only works once, of course you can still use all the old delay methods, but you can't press that button two turns in a row.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: September 08, 2011, 06:16:08 AM »
The new delay arrival button only works once, of course you can still use all the old delay methods, but you can't press that button two turns in a row.

Who cares, since you even admit yourself that you don't need to?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: September 08, 2011, 06:31:17 AM »
Who cares, since you even admit yourself that you don't need to?

Because for most realms, the button fixes issues with players that struggle with the other methods. Since we started using the new button we have had much better movement and no one arriving early, before you could almost bank on at least 1 or 2 arriving early and a few missing the battle entirely. For the more casual player the button is a real boon.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: September 08, 2011, 06:39:55 AM »
Because for most realms, the button fixes issues with players that struggle with the other methods. Since we started using the new button we have had much better movement and no one arriving early, before you could almost bank on at least 1 or 2 arriving early and a few missing the battle entirely. For the more casual player the button is a real boon.

Doesn't change the issue about it being exploitable if traveling troops are counted. Can't break the TO force? Send in the armies, or at least just a few TO units yourself, and remain at about 2 hours from the destination. You can make the TO harder without even losing a single man.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: September 08, 2011, 06:47:16 AM »
Doesn't change the issue about it being exploitable if traveling troops are counted. Can't break the TO force? Send in the armies, or at least just a few TO units yourself, and remain at about 2 hours from the destination. You can make the TO harder without even losing a single man.

Yup, if travelling troops are counted. Of course if any realm tried such things on a island I played on, I would be drumming up mass support to teach them the truth about honourable combat :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: September 08, 2011, 03:18:04 PM »
I think it's been quite a while since you checked.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.