Author Topic: Who else plays by phone? Or how do you play?  (Read 20428 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Who else plays by phone? Or how do you play?
« Reply #15: September 08, 2011, 02:45:57 PM »
On the mobile version, everything works as intended.  The only complaint that I would have is that the top menu buttons are sometimes merged into the text, which confuses the phone in that it doesn't know if it should highlight text or click the button.  Sadly, it usually defaults to highlighting.
I hate to say it, but that's what you get for using Windows Phone. Windows works good for PCs. I have no problems at all with Windows 7, which is very nice. But Windows was always horrible as any kind of mobile OS.

My htc G2 works almost perfectly with the mobile site. The flip-out hardware keyboard makes it very easy to write messages. There are some issues with usability both related to the way mobile OSs work, and the way the site works. No show-stoppers, just inconvenient. I think the following improvements would be very useful for the mobile site:

• Duplicate the main navigation tabs at the bottom of the page. (Message, Actions, Orders, etc.) It's a real pain to have to scroll all the way back to the top to get to the links, especially if you have a battle, or a lot of messages. It's quite tedious to keep flipping and flipping to get back to the top. Even a "Back to top" link at the bottom of the page would work.
  • Message background coloring doesn't work on the mobile site when reading messages. When you send a message and it shows you the message you just sent, coloring works fine there. I have verified this using my regular computer/browser on the mobile site, too.
  • Message flagging works on the mobile site, bit is awkward. Both the flagged and non-flagged icons show up, and you don't know if the message is flagged or not. But clicking the icon will change the state. You just can't tell if it worked or not. Again, using the mobile site from a regular browser duplicates this effect.
  • Add more spacing between links. Text is small on a mobile browser, and it's difficult to get the right one, especially for some links that have important effects and no confirmation. Like a duke starting a festival when what you wanted to do was hold court. You can say "Just be careful" all you want for regular desktop/mouse users, but for mobile users it's like trying to use a normal keyboard while wearing heavy mittens. (My G2 has a mini-trackpad that makes selecting links a snap, but most phones don't have something like that.)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.