Author Topic: Who else plays by phone? Or how do you play?  (Read 19877 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Re: Who else plays by phone? Or how do you play?
« Reply #30: September 09, 2011, 06:35:18 AM »
I often play using an iPad and Galaxy S2, and agree that while its convenient (playing BM in bed!), it is annoying to write out anything more than brief messages. I also agree with the suggestions Indirik made, with the addition of a "scroll to bottom" button as well as a "scroll to top". Some browsers allow you to make your own (like Atomic Web) but not all.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #31: September 09, 2011, 09:35:32 PM »
You mean for those two people who have a Windows Phone 7 compared to the 200 million iOS device owners?

Ah, the replies of Apple fan-boys.  Unshocking. 

And psst.   WP7 and Android devices are growing faster than Apple devices now.  :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: September 09, 2011, 10:59:07 PM »
Well, since Tom uses iPhones, iPads, and iPods, I think that if he was going to develop a mobile app for BattleMaster, you'd probably find it in the the AppStore, and not the Marketplace. And definitely not in whatever MS calls their store.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: September 10, 2011, 03:12:03 AM »
Ah, the replies of Apple fan-boys.  Unshocking. 

I'm not a "fan-boy".

All I said was that there are a lot more people out there with iOS devices than ones running WP7. A app in Apple's App Store would expose the game to a lot more people than one in Microsoft's mobile store. This is completely true; it's fact. Does the mere statement of fact make you a fan-boy, now?

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #34: September 10, 2011, 06:15:53 AM »
I'd say don't ignore the Android market. It's nearly as big as the iphone market, and much more versatile.

Lopeyschools

• Knight
  • Meow Meow Secret Mission Meow
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: September 10, 2011, 06:56:41 AM »
I sometimes check updates on my iphone. Typing long messages is impossible though.
Kula (Ibladesh), Lucius (Caligan Empire), Graviel (Caerwyn)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: September 10, 2011, 08:38:48 AM »
I'd say don't ignore the Android market. It's nearly as big as the iphone market, and much more versatile.

Indeed, Android is a huge market as well.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Tan dSerrai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: September 11, 2011, 01:19:09 PM »
Have started to use my phone for BM as secondary device - though I did not know about the mobile site until now. I would suggest adding a link in the main login page pointing towards the mobile page to make it easier to find.

So far I have been using the regular page on my mobile (HTC Desire HD) and was pleasantly surprised on how well everything worked/was displayed. I did not have any problems except for the bottom line (hours, status, region) sometimes being displayed several lines upwards from the bottom overwriting other text (very minor annoyance). My main trouble/fear is hitting a wrong link on the family page where you decide which character to play: login/quickplay/pause/delete are all in one line and on my mobile device (if I do not zoom in far enough) this line is wrapped leading to 'login' and 'delete' being one right above the other. I know there is a confirm before deletion of a character but with a touchscreen being not the most exact device I would very much prefer to have these options seperated by some distance. I log in 1-3 times per day per character but /never/ have used the delete option and pause only once. If delete + pause on the login page could (for example) be moved below the family graveyard a misclick would be much harder (that applies to laptops using a touchpad as mouse as well).

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: September 16, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
Silly people playing by phone. How do you type long messages without breaking your fingers in frustration at how small the buttons are? I would suspect a decent sized keyboard would be a necessity in battlemaster.  ??? ???

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: September 16, 2011, 02:09:07 PM »
Silly people playing by phone. How do you type long messages without breaking your fingers in frustration at how small the buttons are? I would suspect a decent sized keyboard would be a necessity in battlemaster.  ??? ??
The htc G2 has a fairly decent sized hardware keyboard.

The biggest problems I have are the lack of a decent copy/paste function, and the lack of arrows keys to control the cursor.

As far as the site itself, the edit boxes are way too big. They don't fit on a single screen, and some browsers have a big problem with that.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: September 16, 2011, 04:59:06 PM »
Silly people playing by phone. How do you type long messages without breaking your fingers in frustration at how small the buttons are? I would suspect a decent sized keyboard would be a necessity in battlemaster.  ??? ???

I'd bet most people don't send messages when they login on their phone, but rather just hold court or move with the army and do other actions that are just a few button pushes.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #41: September 16, 2011, 07:45:11 PM »
I've been known to send messages that are hundreds, if not thousands of characters long while on my android. That's why I prefer hardwire keyboards to touch screens, the only mistakes that can be made are due to user error, not because I can't tell exactly where my thumb is touching while I'm typing.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: September 17, 2011, 08:54:28 PM »
What's a good browser to use on the Galaxy S2 for BM? I've tried "Internet" (whatever that is on Android), Firefox and Opera, but they all have their issues with BM. The default "Internet" is particularly bad, as you can't see what you're typing in the message window for some reason. With Firefox, it won't let you move the cursor easily when inputting characters. Very annoying.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #43: September 18, 2011, 09:40:49 AM »
I would assume the default on an Android would be a Chrome-based browser...

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #44: September 18, 2011, 09:43:40 AM »
Nope. Not on the original droid at least. It's just Browser. How dull...