Author Topic: New Estate System  (Read 117547 times)

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
Re: New Estate System
« Reply #330: September 28, 2011, 08:04:46 AM »
1 region produce lots of gold and little food, the other region produce lots of food and little gold. the fair thing to do with be to pay decent gold for food. that's not really about profit. but what happens quite frequently is that the cities don't want to pay for food and then call the food producers greedy when asked to pay a decent sum, thus gets to keep all those shiny gold and get to play generous man going around shouting "i've got gold to hand out, who needs it". whereas if they just pay a decent price, no one will need to ask for gold in the 1st place really.

Yeah that is a good point, indeed. I wonder why food should be shipped around freely while gold is not.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331: September 28, 2011, 12:47:03 PM »
Yeah that is a good point, indeed. I wonder why food should be shipped around freely while gold is not.
Gold isn't handed out freely? Excuse me?

I don't know what realm you're playing in, but during war time my character hands out *thousands* of gold a week to anyone who asks. So, yeah, the rural regions hand out food to any region that needs it, without asking for anything back. And when gold is needed, we hand out it to who ever needs it, and don't ask for anything back.

And, honestly, I have never been in a realm where gold wasn't freely available to anyone who needed it, unless the realm was so in such bad shape that no one had gold to give.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #332: September 28, 2011, 12:50:41 PM »
And, honestly, I have never been in a realm where gold wasn't freely available to anyone who needed it, unless the realm was so in such bad shape that no one had gold to give.

Which doesn't mean that these realms don't exist. You may not like playing in them, but that's fine.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #333: September 28, 2011, 01:29:34 PM »
Wish you would do away with bonds alltogether :(
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #334: September 28, 2011, 01:45:29 PM »
Just wanted to say that as a duke, I can't see how much my ruler is taxing me... it's quite anxiety-provoking  :P  :P
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #335: September 28, 2011, 03:09:41 PM »
Just wanted to say that as a duke, I can't see how much my ruler is taxing me... it's quite anxiety-provoking  :P :P

working on it, should be there soon.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #336: September 28, 2011, 03:36:19 PM »
Just wanted to say that as a duke, I can't see how much my ruler is taxing me... it's quite anxiety-provoking  :P  :P

I dont mind :D

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #337: September 28, 2011, 06:53:44 PM »
a lord can now see how much his duke is taxing him now. which is good, until you see the number XD
firefox

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338: September 28, 2011, 08:15:16 PM »
Gold isn't handed out freely? Excuse me?

I don't know what realm you're playing in, but during war time my character hands out *thousands* of gold a week to anyone who asks. So, yeah, the rural regions hand out food to any region that needs it, without asking for anything back. And when gold is needed, we hand out it to who ever needs it, and don't ask for anything back.

Hmm, I think my comment was hasty. Some people do give out gold, and a lot. But it depends on the realm, and as you say, sometimes there is little to spare.

I was somehow thinking more about lords (except for dukes). Marquises i.e usually does not hand out any gold in my experience, despite them somtimes making as much as dukes of small cities. And far from every duke opens his pockets when knights/rural-lords are in need.

But then again it is the cities that need the food, so you do have a good point if you overlook that not all dukes give, but still get the food for their city for free.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #339: September 28, 2011, 08:32:30 PM »
Many dukes do, indeed, get food shipped to them without directly paying for it. And if this transaction were to occur in a vacuum, totally devoid of context, then sure, you could say that the lord is not getting paid for it.

But then to be fair, you'd also have to look at everything that happens in the same vacuum. So when the Duke of Keplerville sends the Holy Keplerstan Army to Kepler's Fields to wipe out that monster outbreak, you can also say the the Duke is not getting anything in return. So, to be fair, maybe the Duke should hand an invoice to the Viscount of Kepler's Fields for Services Rendered.

The whole system works up and down on terms of mutual support. To say that the rural lord is getting nothing in return for sending food to the city at no cost is as much of a fallacy as saying that the duke is not paying for that food that gets sent to him at no cost. He pays for that food every time he hands gold out to a knight to recruit troops, or adds gold to the war chest, or enlarges a recruitment center, or builds a new smithy, etc., etc. All the expenses that it takes to keep the city and the realm running are to the benefit of the entire realm, not just the duke.

If the duke doesn't support the realm or his lords in whatever way they need it, then he's a crappy duke. And those lords that serve him should find themselves a new duke.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #340: September 28, 2011, 08:40:32 PM »
that's the point. the rich city lord gets to play mr. generous and hand out gold to individuals, whereas those individuals should get the gold via taxes (and trade) in the 1st place. he shouldn't have to go and ask for gold.
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #341: September 28, 2011, 08:50:34 PM »
Of course he gets to play Mr Generous. He's the duke. Want to be the one that passes out all the stuff? Then go get yourself a duchy. Then you get to be Mr. Generous.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #342: September 28, 2011, 10:04:44 PM »
the rich city lord is not being mr. generous. he gets to act as mr. generous because he doesn't pay his bills and other idiots, the exact same ones who complain about lack of gold, back him up with "for the good of the realm" stuff.

on the other hand, it's no longer a duke thing and when things have settled down. i would imagine dukes on dwi would eventually be mostly ruling townslands.
firefox

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #343: September 28, 2011, 10:21:07 PM »
I geuss the system only allows me to apoint two people now.
I now manged to appoint the right person, but still i have no clue why i can only pick those two and why sudenly the right candidate is among them...

They both don't have estates in the region and none of them is present in the region.

There many other knights and lords who have the right requirements to become lord, yet they don't apear on the list.

The region is also not really part of the duchy and so are some knights who recently joined the realm(i've asked them to try and pick an estate again, maybe they never did or Tom changed something).
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #344: September 29, 2011, 12:04:40 AM »
There many other knights and lords who have the right requirements to become lord, yet they don't apear on the list.

Then they don't have the right requirements.