Author Topic: Taxing Religions/Secret Societies  (Read 39307 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Taxing Religions/Secret Societies
« Reply #15: September 13, 2011, 02:34:47 AM »
What I'm not for is making it impossible for religions to strongarm lords into making them exempt from taxes without requiring a non-trivial amount of work.  After many years of painful experience, things in the game that require large numbers of people to do something once a week (or once a month) don't happen.  They just don't.  People get sick of it, or forget, or don't make it back to their regions.

An option to tax temples = awesome.  Forcing people to tax temples = painful.
I have to agree with this. What I fear this will lead to is a constant hassle of repeatedly badgering people to put gold in the temples. It's already difficult enough to keep this stuff funded. Crank up the gold drain on the treasury, and it will just have to happen even more often. You'll have to keep more gold in the treasury to compensate, and then you'll just end up having more people randomly grab it, because "Hey, 200 gold! Woohoo!"

In SA I even made it one of the elder's responsibilities to watch temples, and make sure they stayed funded. But then that player gets bored with it. It never gets done. And you end up having to constantly hound people to get it done. Why? Because playing Temple Treasury Watch is boring, tedious, busywork.

We don't play BattleMaster to become bookkeepers and accountants. As rich and powerful nobles we should have legions of functionaries to take care of this kind of junk for us. Stuff like this turns the game into a job. And that's No Fun.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.