Author Topic: If all the continents merged?  (Read 16643 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: If all the continents merged?
« Reply #15: October 24, 2011, 08:13:29 PM »
... an SA/Adgharian Pact as they would take about 30 seconds to come to some sort of agreement.
I can't say that I could see anything like that happening. So far as I know, SA has only ever had one agreement with any other religion, The Seven. And that's only because the realm that the Seven was founded in joined Morek en masse. Other than that, SA mostly ignores all other faiths.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: October 24, 2011, 08:24:56 PM »
You're nuts. the Order of the Hawk (Arcaea, etc) would destroy Outer Tilog in 3 seconds.

Make that 6 to compensate for colonies speed. ;)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: October 25, 2011, 08:03:08 AM »
Indirik, that's kinda my point.  Adgharianism and Blood Star worship are profoundly alien to each other and oddly enough it's common ground which tends to cause dissent.  After all if Tark wasn't Sartan who would give a damn?

The idea of a triumverate religion set-up (each faith has three profoundly different ecclesiatical orders) means that at least in theory each position would have someone else to communicate directly with who they likely have a more similar viewpoint to then even members of their own faith.  I only know a couple of the continents and though the characters are completely independent if the overlap between say, Ciann and Allison (each of whom fulfills eerily similar roles within their faith) is the same as between the other branches of SA and Adgharianism it would just make a natural match IMO.

Outer Tilog would probably drop below Rio and Sint the moment the stories of the last invasion started flying around.  Outer Tilog is evil and kinda crude, but they didn't betray mankind to daimons or monsters (actually, if they were really on the up and up with investigation they'd burn Nothoi first and Sint second).

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #18: October 25, 2011, 10:04:36 AM »
Or Enweil, for also traditionally siding with, and worshiping, daimons?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: October 25, 2011, 02:25:40 PM »
Indirik, that's kinda my point.  Adgharianism and Blood Star worship are profoundly alien to each other and oddly enough it's common ground which tends to cause dissent.
It's not odd at all. Competition for limited resources brings conflict.

Any two IG religions necessarily consume the same resources: Peasants and nobles. Since each peasant and each noble can only follow a single religion, that means that all religions are necessarily mutually exclusive. It's not like you can follow SA to fill your "astrology slot" and Adgharhinism to fill your "god slot", etc. You either follow SA or you follow Adgharhinism.

The most any religion could expect to get out of SA would be some vague admission that they are some kind of strange variant of the worship of the Bloodstars. If you're not that, then SA doesn't really care about you. In fact, the more different you are, and less common ground we have, the less we care to have any dealings with you at all.

We, so far, have not been interested in any kind of "strategic partnership" or shared occupation of territory. The very concept of such a thing, when it comes to religion, is really rather odd anyway.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: October 25, 2011, 02:45:51 PM »
We, so far, have not been interested in any kind of "strategic partnership" or shared occupation of territory. The very concept of such a thing, when it comes to religion, is really rather odd anyway.

Also, we're winning anyway. We may have a different view if we weren't.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: October 25, 2011, 03:09:23 PM »
Also, we're winning anyway. We may have a different view if we weren't.
Situational ethics, eh?

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: October 25, 2011, 03:36:25 PM »
Situational ethics, eh?

Situational ethics are the only ethics (according to Hegel.)

EDIT: Then again, Hegel was a pretty cooked unit.
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: October 25, 2011, 04:21:09 PM »
ethics

I thought you were talking about religions?  ;D
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: October 25, 2011, 05:26:26 PM »
Ahh. . true. I am duly chastised. :(

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: October 25, 2011, 05:46:50 PM »
I thought you were talking about religions?  ;D

The two are fairly intertwined. Almost every religion (I'm looking at you, Christianity...) has an ethical system that derives from basic assumptions found in the religion such as the Hindu cycle of rebirth or the Jewish lex talionis. In my (admittedly limited) understanding of this area of philosophy it is impossible to discuss the specifics of some of the most prevalent ethical systems without also discussing the religions behind them.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: October 26, 2011, 12:33:13 AM »
Or Enweil, for also traditionally siding with, and worshiping, daimons?

Pfff. We only gained the daimons' respects because we royally kicked their butts in the third invasion and because we didn't pussy out in front of the monsters in the fourth. Who would worship the very creatures they defeated?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #27: October 26, 2011, 08:44:41 AM »
Blood Cultists like...  You? =D

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: October 26, 2011, 04:35:02 PM »

Truly fascinating how non-cultists know the Blood Cult better than cultists themselves.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: October 26, 2011, 06:59:54 PM »

The Blood Cult had an entire sect (The Sect of Xerotl which was formed when the Blood Cult absorbed the Church of Teros) who taught the Daimons were an evil to be destroyed or -- if that was not possible -- controlled and kept at bay.

It also had a sect that recognized Daimons as gods, but recognizing a thing as a god is very different from worship (i.e. God and Satan in modern Christianity dogma). So far as I know no one but the few who lost their minds in the Netherworld ever worshiped them, and Valachi himself led the aforementioned Sect of Xerotl.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.