Author Topic: family history  (Read 10011 times)

Maxim

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Re: family history
« Reply #15: September 21, 2011, 09:25:46 PM »
In general, any time a character becomes a lord, the family history should show it, and how it happened.

In both those instances the Game doesn't record it. That's why I listed them.
Aulus' first election to Oberndorf isn't on the Family page. All the subsequent entries are when he was Appointed. Same goes for RTO's it seems.

In general, I agree. However as a player, I think that it would be nice to see some advy stuff in there. Specifically, creation of advies, advy deaths, and why they died. Pretty much the way it is now. :)

Oh yeah, I'm fine with the way the game deals with Advy's now. I just meant that should be it, a mere footnote, and the other stuff about selling items and etc seems superfluous and unnecessary. Personally I'd like to wipe the fact I ever made an Advy .. since it existed for about 30 seconds before I decided "Just no" and deleted. But then that's just Scipii pride.
"Who are you .. and are you relevant?"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: September 21, 2011, 09:40:04 PM »
... the other stuff about selling items and etc seems superfluous and unnecessary.
I agree. Family history should be about serious stuff.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: September 21, 2011, 10:24:15 PM »
reason why i mention the knight thing.. is.. well.. i was thinking new estates might well mean more attachment to a particular region.

it could well go like this. you list out all the characters, sort of like now.. and then opens up new page for a detailed history of each character - detailed as in knight of X, lord of Y, duke of Z, etc... skip things like change class..

i suppose, it all depends on who's doing the reading. a player might well fancy reading up what he did 1/2 year ago, but don't fancy jotting things down in wiki. so detailed stuff could well be useful for him.
firefox

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #18: September 21, 2011, 11:38:30 PM »
I wouldn't say skip class changes.  At least the main ones.  Going from Warrior to Priest would be a pretty important step in a person's life.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: September 22, 2011, 12:45:35 AM »
You'd think so. But there's nobles out there who will change classes like other people change clothes, for purely practical reasons. Imagine what their family history would look like.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: September 22, 2011, 02:39:52 AM »
I generally try to have my character ignore classes when dealing with things IC. Most of the time it just really doesn't matter. As for putting them on family history... no thanks.

And if you think you'd like to come back in two years and see what you did two years ago, then go to the wiki and write it down.

cjnodell

« Reply #21: September 22, 2011, 04:58:31 PM »
I personally think capturing and major events that occur to a character should be included in the history. I personally would rather have more information combined with a good filtering system than to have less information. Some key filters would be by character, event type, etc.. Key to me is the gain, loss or change in titles (realm, military, religion, guild). If this is tracked than a very clear picture is painted. Add in realm changes and judicial punishments and the picture is nearly complete. I would also prefer to see imprisonments.

Example:
Date      Realm            Event
DATE   Kelperstan            Jimmy Began his career.
DATE   Kelperstan            Jimmy sworn as Knight of Kelper.
DATE   Kelperstan            Jimmy sworn as Knight of Sparsewood.
DATE   Kelperstan            Jimmy appointed as Baron of Kelper.
DATE   Kelperstan            Jimmy elected as Judge.
DATE   Kelperstan            Jimmy appointed as Duke of East Duchy.
DATE   Kelperstan            Jimmy becomes Sponsor of the army Blades of Woe.
DATE   Kelperstan            Jimmy imprisoned by Evilists.
DATE   Kelperstan            Jimmy has been Banned from Evilists (He smelled bad).
DATE   Kelperstan            Jimmy released from prison.
DATE   Kelperstan            Jimmy has been Banned from Kelperstan (Leaving Kelperstan)
DATE   Normandston      Jimmy becomes a Noble of Normandston.
DATE   Normandston      Jimmy Began his career.
DATE   Normandston      Jimmy is sworn as knight of Hawthorne.
DATE   Normandston      Jimmy becomes Acolyte of the religion Helenism.
DATE   Normandston      Jimmy ban from Evilists has been lifted.
DATE   Normandston      Jimmy is promoted to Friar of the religion Helenism
DATE   Normandston      Jimmy is thrown out of Helenism (He tried to sleep with the Ponitfex's wife)
DATE   Normandston      Jimmy becomes Burger of the guild Jagdhaus
DATE   Normandston      Jimmy becomes Founder of the religion Jimism
DATE   Normandston      Jimmy is Fined 100G (Founding a religion with getting approval)
DATE   Normandston      Jimmy is imprisoned by Kelperstan
DATE   Normandston      Jimmy is deported to the continent Nenlalas by Kelperstan (We really hate this guy)
DATE   Normandston      Jimmy leaves the guild Jagdhaus
DATE   Normandston      Jimmy leaves the religion Jimism
DATE   Hestildom            Jimmy becomes a Noble of Hestildom
DATE   Hestildom            Jimmy sworn as Knight of Thislefeld
DATE   Hestildom            Jimmy appointed as Marshal of he army Deaths Grace.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: September 22, 2011, 05:46:47 PM »
Imprisonment? That's gonna look great on priests/infils/advies.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: September 23, 2011, 04:21:34 AM »
I'd say the only problem currently is lack of filtering/organisation maybe. Look at an old players full history and you just get a massive, cluttered list that probably only really means anything to the player in question. Organisation by character would be cool, but I daresay it won't be so simple to achieve anything retro-actively. First you'd have to recognise any name changes, then if more than one character had the same name etc.

As for the information recorded in the family history, I think it already takes in near-all the important stuff. Only addition to make would be to have Tournament Victories included as suggested by Maxim.

I'm pretty sure this one has been shot down before, along with a listing of who you executed while judge. I think Tom said he didn't want the family page turning into a trophy listing, or something like that. If you want to keep track, you can do it yourself on the wiki.

Just so. Isn't all that recorded on the victims histories? The victorious duelists and executioners ought be more worried about eventual reprisals from families who'll remember their names forever, surely? ;-)

cjnodell

« Reply #24: September 23, 2011, 08:14:36 PM »
Imprisonment? That's gonna look great on priests/infils/advies.

Perhaps imprisonment is not needed, but I tend to prefer to capture more data than might be absolutely needed and provide usable filters and access restrictions. Really up to you guys though.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: September 26, 2011, 03:53:52 PM »
Just so. Isn't all that recorded on the victims histories? The victorious duelists and executioners ought be more worried about eventual reprisals from families who'll remember their names forever, surely? ;-)
Yes, duel deaths and executions are recorded on the dead persons' family page. That way the loser has a constant reminder to get their revenge. :) But it is not recorded on the executor's page, where it could be a brag-sheet, or kill list, and a motivation to rack up a higher kill count, and to make the list more impressive.

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: October 03, 2011, 12:36:56 AM »
I just saw that when the Duke of Ozrat changed his duchy to another realm, it only says the normal "X joined realm x" in his family history. I think something special like that deserves a unique message.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: October 03, 2011, 02:02:04 AM »
Speaking as the player of the Duchess of Akanos, who followed him with the entire Duchy of Akanos over to Toupellos, I think you're right. :)