Author Topic: “Til Death” option for Hero characters.  (Read 12279 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: “Til Death” option for Hero characters.
« Topic Start: September 21, 2011, 10:21:52 PM »
First point - change the fame stat? Or make a whole new one. Like I say I find it bizarre anyone would waste a character for a fame point.
I find a lot of things that people do bizarre. That doesn't mean that they don't do them, though. I know that people have gone to great lengths, including creating new characters and making them jump through tortuously stupid behavior patterns, just to get a single fame.

And no, I don't think that just because a single fame point means a lot to someone that we should just let them have it. That demeans the entire point and basis of the fame system. You get fame for doing special things. (Yes, I know some of them are more special and rare than others.) You do not get fame for clicking a button on the page that says, essentially, "Give me a fame point, please."

Second point - forcing .. some guy in the other noble's unit?
Yes, that is correct. Adding this option would essentially allow you to force someone to kill you. Whether you choose to call it the character doing the killing, or the character's unit. You could force someone to kill you. You could take a deliberately inferior unit and ambush a army, or an individual character with a superior unit, and force them to kill you in battle. Even if you aren't currently at war.

Thirdly - A certain, specific way? Like having a tiny amount of autonomy about whether your character stands his ground and dies or retreats? Having this option is about the same amount of choice as actually setting travel to take part in the battle anyway. Or as simply pressing "delete". The difference is the realm sees it as a hero death. The continent sees it as a hero death. It's noted in the Battle reports, it can be put up on the realm Wiki. It plasters itself onto your Profile as a big, indisputable banner ... simply "Deleting", regardless of whatever sentiment you may wish to express in the deletion message to your realm, doesn't say it's a Hero death, and doesn't note it as such. It just says "He snuffed it". If you're all in favour of people deciding their character's died in the battle .. why not simply make it so they >can< say that.
Except that it's not really a really a hero death. Hero death is "you pay your money, you take your chances" thing. What you're proposing is not. It's a "click this box to die" option. Call it assisted suicide. A "death by cop", if you will. That doesn't fit within the current mechanics of heroes.

Given all the possible abuses and other things that this could cause, I just don't see it as a worthwhile addition just so someone's family history page can read "died in battle" as an "official" note.

Remember that just because you personally would not abuse a feature, or take it to the extreme and use it for unintended purposes, doesn't mean that other people won't do that. The dev team has to consider the fact that abuse is possible, and weigh that against the possible benefits of the feature.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.