Author Topic: “Til Death” option for Hero characters.  (Read 12211 times)

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
Re: “Til Death” option for Hero characters.
« Reply #30: September 24, 2011, 08:58:53 PM »
No thanks. You still haven't solved any of the other problems that this would cause. The fame is the least important, though most obvious, of them.

While this wasn't my solution, merely an agreement that a game mechanic made sense in an IC way. Perhaps you could catalogue all the other problems that this would cause because I've only read of two being discussed:
1) Fame Whoring
2) "Forcing" another character's unit to kill you

egamma

« Reply #31: September 25, 2011, 05:06:27 AM »
While this wasn't my solution, merely an agreement that a game mechanic made sense in an IC way. Perhaps you could catalogue all the other problems that this would cause because I've only read of two being discussed:
1) Fame Whoring
2) "Forcing" another character's unit to kill you
3)It would make characters even less important than they are now: "oh, there goes another hero!". People should care about their characters and not try to kill them--that's unrealistic. We are supposed to RP nobles, not madmen who care nothing for their lives. Heroes do not try to get killed, they merely fight and accept the risks.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: September 25, 2011, 08:33:10 AM »
3)It would make characters even less important than they are now: "oh, there goes another hero!". People should care about their characters and not try to kill them--that's unrealistic. We are supposed to RP nobles, not madmen who care nothing for their lives. Heroes do not try to get killed, they merely fight and accept the risks.

Indeed, I could totally see people creating expendable heroes like this just to grief an enemy by making them look bad for killing so many nobles.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: September 26, 2011, 03:22:39 PM »
I think egamma and Chenier have summed it up pretty well. For me, the major problem I can foresee with this is the possible abuse angle of disposable characters.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.