Author Topic: New Estate System - Discouraging Loyalty?  (Read 5580 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: New Estate System - Discouraging Loyalty?
« Topic Start: September 30, 2011, 12:38:41 PM »
Yup if the realm turns a blind eye to things like this, the Lord has a lot of power.
Or it's just players doing what players normally do, and only dealing with the things that directly affect them.

I asked Tom about this back when we first started testing the estate system on the dev server. His statement was something like "I want the players to give it consequences themselves, instead of he game mechanics doing it."

While I think this is an interesting idea, I don't see it working. I've never really been a big fan of "player justice". In my experience, it leads to three things: 1) Someone who can write a nice fancy letter is more likely to be believed than someone who can't, 2) Only the major offenders ever get a bad reputation, and 3) Players usually only hear about things that happen in their own realm. This all adds up to people generally not being held accountable for anything but the most severe and reoccurring problems, and even then the chances are that they can just move to the next realm over and get away completely free.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.