Author Topic: Donate food  (Read 6973 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Donate food
« Reply #15: October 03, 2011, 03:25:19 AM »
The new caravan system has the "give food" option that you can set to one region to replicate the old ox cart options. You could use that though it would be fiddly to get it just right. Given that the feature already exists in some form, I think it is reasonable to expand it.

Indeed, and I'll point out for those who might want to say "well if you can do it that way, then you don't need it this way too!" that these caravans are super slow, and that the food from a neighboring region might therefore not arrive before the starvation causes massive loyalty drop.

An alternate fix would be to make that when you TO a starving region, starvation stat drops to everything else than production should be put on hold for a week, in order to give the realm time to elect a lord that will set a buy order to feed the region.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: October 03, 2011, 08:31:13 PM »
With you on this one Chenier:

It's just like having a baggage train - if you didn't have food in the region, you brought food with your army.

It should be possible for some nobles to carry food in Caravans, share it with the army if they want, and also be able to "give" it to a region they are TO'ing.

Perhaps it should be an option available ONLY during FTO's? - in that case it works with the idea of doing civil work etc to boost loyalty.   If you're doing a hostile or brutal TO, the rational for feeding the populace is much less.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: October 03, 2011, 08:52:12 PM »

It's just like having a baggage train - if you didn't have food in the region, you brought food with your army.

It should be possible for some nobles to carry food in Caravans, share it with the army if they want, and also be able to "give" it to a region they are TO'ing.

Perhaps it should be an option available ONLY during FTO's? - in that case it works with the idea of doing civil work etc to boost loyalty.   If you're doing a hostile or brutal TO, the rational for feeding the populace is much less.

If you could check a box to share your food with the army, then you wouldn't need to give food to the region during the TO regardless.

There are just two simple needs:

1) A means to feed the army during the takeover without needing everyone to carry caravans with food themselves.
2) A means to have the region fed by the first day it is acquired at the latest, regardless of lordship elections and the like. For this, I'm not 100% certain if the banker can still do anything in lordless regions or not. I'm in no position to check either.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: October 03, 2011, 11:18:53 PM »

I submitted a feature request for this back on the D-List. It never went anywhere, though I can't remember if it was outright rejected.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: October 04, 2011, 02:55:41 AM »
This should be an interesting option for Traders, and enhance that class.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: October 04, 2011, 07:03:01 AM »
Definitely support this. With the loss of banker powers, it is simply difficult to feed regions in election realms.

However, the main use is the ability to feed an army on the go by giving food to a region. This would happen realisitically.

If I'm the Duke of a neighboring duchy and seeking to take over a region, i want it fed and its peasants to like me as well as they will soon be "my" peasants. That makes sense. Sure a lord may not care, but a Duke would, and those higher up would certainly. The lower nobles just follow the orders that their Duke sends them, so it could make sense.

There is no reason a soldier with food in caravans has to wait for the abiliyt to "sell" food for 1 gold per 100 bushels. That is essentially giving away food anyway. No one would accept 1 gold for food, so if you are saying that is realistic it is not. Might as well have option to give it away. Without being a trader too.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: October 04, 2011, 07:12:04 AM »
Definitely support this. With the loss of banker powers, it is simply difficult to feed regions in election realms.

However, the main use is the ability to feed an army on the go by giving food to a region. This would happen realisitically.

If I'm the Duke of a neighboring duchy and seeking to take over a region, i want it fed and its peasants to like me as well as they will soon be "my" peasants. That makes sense. Sure a lord may not care, but a Duke would, and those higher up would certainly. The lower nobles just follow the orders that their Duke sends them, so it could make sense.

There is no reason a soldier with food in caravans has to wait for the abiliyt to "sell" food for 1 gold per 100 bushels. That is essentially giving away food anyway. No one would accept 1 gold for food, so if you are saying that is realistic it is not. Might as well have option to give it away. Without being a trader too.

Not to mention that selling prices are rounded down, so selling 99 bushels will yield 0 gold to the seller. He could rinse and repeat as many times as desired if he wanted to "sell" a large quantity.