Author Topic: Generous taxes from newly TOed regions  (Read 3129 times)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Generous taxes from newly TOed regions
« Topic Start: October 15, 2011, 06:51:25 AM »
Luria Nova recently TOed some regions, among them Aveston. With 725 peasants out of 8300 possible, almost starving, at 'Stopped' production with no knights nor lord, it produced 488 gold for the Duke. A little too good to be true, right?
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Generous taxes from newly TOed regions
« Reply #1: October 15, 2011, 07:21:51 AM »
Luria Nova recently TOed some regions, among them Aveston. With 725 peasants out of 8300 possible, almost starving, at 'Stopped' production with no knights nor lord, it produced 488 gold for the Duke. A little too good to be true, right?

The first tax. That's gold that had accumulated over a potentially large period of time. Happens sometimes with regions just TOed, especially on Dwilight.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 15, 2011, 07:54:56 AM »
The first tax. That's gold that had accumulated over a potentially large period of time. Happens sometimes with regions just TOed, especially on Dwilight.

Won't complain then.  ;D
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 15, 2011, 10:29:52 AM »

If the region was rogue, who the hell would have collected those taxes? Apparently the "minor nobility" that was there didn't do a very good job (minimal production), so I don't think they would. And if they would have done so, they would certainly not have kept all that gold stored, ready to be picked up by a realm that seizes power in their region.

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 15, 2011, 01:13:20 PM »
If the region was rogue, who the hell would have collected those taxes? Apparently the "minor nobility" that was there didn't do a very good job (minimal production), so I don't think they would. And if they would have done so, they would certainly not have kept all that gold stored, ready to be picked up by a realm that seizes power in their region.

I always had the image of the tax collectors coming around and just. . .taking the savings of the peasants :D  Cause they haven't been paying taxes so the collectors just go "Oh hey. . .you shouldnt really have this much money as a peasant."

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 15, 2011, 06:59:28 PM »
The peasant commune collected voluntary contributions from every peasants as a freedom fund.
The nobles just confiscated it all when they arrived.

Think of it as you like. Without this mechanic, colonization in Dwilight would have been a lot harder. It was hard enough already.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 15, 2011, 07:10:17 PM »
This is one of the reasons people so jealously guarded colonization and expansion rights.  If someone else did a colony in a city you wanted, you miss out on a lot of accumulated gold when you go for it later.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 16, 2011, 05:47:03 PM »
Wow, I didn't know any of that. This really makes a lot of sense now :) Damn.

(I would have had my character denounce the validity of region claims if I had known that!)