Author Topic: Hero's honor/troop recruitment  (Read 8826 times)

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Hero's honor/troop recruitment
« Reply #15: October 04, 2011, 01:54:16 PM »
Courtier cavaliers are the silliest thing ever. Cavaliers belong on the battlefield with huge cavalry units, not pushing papers behind a desk! Have you no dignity, sir?

egamma

« Reply #16: October 04, 2011, 02:17:16 PM »
Courtier cavaliers are the silliest thing ever. Cavaliers belong on the battlefield with huge cavalry units, not pushing papers behind a desk! Have you no dignity, sir?

What about Priest/Hero? Isn't that just a circumvention of the death mechanic?
What about Courtier/Hero? Isn't that a circumvention of the "no civil work" mechanic?
Warrior/Infiltrator--Doesn't the ability to have a unit bypass the random capture mechanic?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: October 04, 2011, 02:47:17 PM »
What about Priest/Hero? Isn't that just a circumvention of the death mechanic?
It depends on why you do it. If you become a priest just so that you don't have to worry about your character dying in battle, then sure.

What about Courtier/Hero? Isn't that a circumvention of the "no civil work" mechanic?
Survey/Admin is not Civil Work. Civil Work is Civil Work. But I will agree that it's not very heroic...

Warrior/Infiltrator--Doesn't the ability to have a unit bypass the random capture mechanic?
Yep. But it also makes it much harder to sneak through regions with enemy troops.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: October 05, 2011, 12:44:11 AM »
It depends on why you do it. If you become a priest just so that you don't have to worry about your character dying in battle, then sure.
Survey/Admin is not Civil Work. Civil Work is Civil Work. But I will agree that it's not very heroic...
Yep. But it also makes it much harder to sneak through regions with enemy troops.

Bingo, I never said there was anything wrong with the class combinations, in fact I specifically said I can think of good IG reasons for them. I was against picking class combinations with the sole purpose to game the mechanics and reduce the disadvantages of the classes, or create the ultimate whatever.

Choose classes for RP reasons, for character flavour reasons, don't do it because you want skill X but don't want disadvantage Y.

The other option is Courtier/Infiltrator, and surprise surprise you can still have a unit. The random mechanic is not specific to the infiltrator class, it affects all nobles that choose to wander around without a unit.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: October 05, 2011, 04:14:30 AM »
Well, Widden (my C/C) is the 'Everybody' of a one-province realm.  He used to be on a crusade, but has some serious issues with solid decision making and loyalty (nothing like the "I took an oath" excuse when your Duke goes rabid).

Anyway, back on point, heroes need the variability because it's not an exitable class and -some- of them are going to live long enough to become crippled old knights.  I'd be nifty if a hero who has had 10 serious injuries could change to, say, the mentor class, but the mentor class is getting phased out anyway.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: October 05, 2011, 04:19:59 AM »
Well, Widden (my C/C) is the 'Everybody' of a one-province realm.  He used to be on a crusade, but has some serious issues with solid decision making and loyalty (nothing like the "I took an oath" excuse when your Duke goes rabid).

Anyway, back on point, heroes need the variability because it's not an exitable class and -some- of them are going to live long enough to become crippled old knights.  I'd be nifty if a hero who has had 10 serious injuries could change to, say, the mentor class, but the mentor class is getting phased out anyway.

What do you mean, I love my hero and he is getting rather long in the tooth. If he doesn't die soon he is going to miss more battles then he fights. But like priest Hero's are all about RP, if you aren't going to make the most out of your Heroic stature within the realm, then its really not the class for you.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: October 07, 2011, 01:32:12 AM »

What do you mean? Infils have higher chances of getting captured in a region that has enemy troops than non-infils do?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: October 07, 2011, 01:57:02 AM »
What do you mean? Infils have higher chances of getting captured in a region that has enemy troops than non-infils do?

He means if you have a unit, then trying to sneak through an enemy region that has troops is likely to result in a battle.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: October 07, 2011, 05:48:22 AM »
He means if you have a unit, then trying to sneak through an enemy region that has troops is likely to result in a battle.

That doesn't matter for someone who would otherwise just be a plain warrior, though.

For the warrior, picking this subclass means a lower recruitment cap, but lower odds of capture while traveling without a unit, afaik.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: October 07, 2011, 05:52:21 AM »
That doesn't matter for someone who would otherwise just be a plain warrior, though.

For the warrior, picking this subclass means a lower recruitment cap, but lower odds of capture while traveling without a unit, afaik.

Yup in this case I believe egamma was suggesting the infiltrator would take the  ain class to offset a infiltrator weakness, which he thought was not having a unit. However since the class/sub class came in, infiltrator are always able to have a unit, so it wasn't the best example.

STiAle

• Freeman
  • Safe, Sane, Consensual
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: October 07, 2011, 06:05:11 AM »
Honor demands that I do the best for the realm. If it means pushing papers instead of bullies, I will throw any shred of dignity to the jakes.  :) That's one alternative RP

Courtier/Infiltrator? Role-playing nobles who care enough about occupied region and work on calming the populace, etc. Or cynically cementing loyalty to the realm, making it harder for the enemy maintain their grip or even lengthening time needed to TO. Not sure about the mechanics, but it makes RP sense.
No other word is better than the last word!

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: October 07, 2011, 06:17:00 AM »
Courtier/Infiltrator? Role-playing nobles who care enough about occupied region and work on calming the populace, etc. Or cynically cementing loyalty to the realm, making it harder for the enemy maintain their grip or even lengthening time needed to TO. Not sure about the mechanics, but it makes RP sense.

Why do either of those RP models need a infiltrator sub class over just a standard Courtier?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: October 07, 2011, 06:19:55 AM »
Courtier/infils are those who lurk in their regions to maintain stats, and then proclaim, when an enemy arrives and loots, that they "must die!" for daring to bring light to their lair.

They get really pissed if you undo with a mere 6 hours what it took them weeks to accomplish. They take their work very seriously. ;)

STiAle

• Freeman
  • Safe, Sane, Consensual
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: October 07, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
Courtier/infils are those who lurk in their regions to maintain stats, and then proclaim, when an enemy arrives and loots, that they "must die!" for daring to bring light to their lair.

They get really pissed if you undo with a mere 6 hours what it took them weeks to accomplish. They take their work very seriously. ;)

Aye! That was the reason my courtier became an infil :D
No other word is better than the last word!

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #29: October 07, 2011, 11:26:09 PM »
Not much discussion on the Feature Request itself.

shall I lock this now?