Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1057502 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #1350: August 22, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
Are you kidding me? Totally! You can draw many parallels between SA's attitude and political style and medieval Catholicism, if not the Holy Roman Empire itself. I find the whole current crusade discussion comedic in that regard. Like with the actual Crusades, nothing will ever happen unless someone else with power bands together to attack SA because without significant reward and threat, the SA nations won't band together for jack sh*t.

I'm talking style and attitude, not meaningless phluff Lore. I don't care that SA worships stars and all this. I'm talking about politics, theocratic interaction, and so forth. When I first joined Dwilight and researched (and was a member of) SA, it almost seemed as if SA was specifically designed to mirror Medieval Catholicism while deviating into Fantasy territory to better fit the game. There are so many parallels that it'd be a huge coincidence if it wasn't consciously or otherwise inspired by it. I think it'd do them a lot of good to keep that up, anyway, as medieval Catholicism/HRE was a massive powerplayer and had one hell of a solid sociopolitical structure that gave it the power it held. Its not about the beliefs itself - its never about the beliefs - its about how the religion is administered and structured.

Anyone can make a fluff-Lore for a fantasy religion. Few can do what SA did and create a theocratic EMPIRE.

I think you are very confused about SA, medieval Catholicism, and the religio-political significance of specific doctrines.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner