Poll

Self-explanatory... What is your favorite of the BM continents?

Atamara
Beluaterra
Colonies
Dwilight
East Continent
Far East

Author Topic: Favorite Island  (Read 54844 times)

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Island
« Reply #150: June 19, 2011, 01:45:03 AM »
I voted for EC. It is where I have had the most unforgettable moments, although I am personally a fan of FEI aswell.

I'm currently trying out Dwilight although I am a little skeptic of how big it is. Hard to keep track of all the rulers even since the realms are so many, and will probably become even more with more colonizing.

No matter which island, the fun depends a lot on which realm, which time and whether or not the most talking is done publicly in the realm or just in "the council deluxe" ( the council + dukes + other senior characters).

When I first began playing, my first character ended up in Avamar on EC. It was such a small realm and it was constantly in danger of being crushed which made everyone feel like underdogs and as such it was a very active realm with lots of talk, strategy etc. No wonder I got hooked on Battlemaster, right? ;)

That is among the top funs I've had in bm so far.

I think for me, it is fun if there is lots of activity. If people write a lot of things, then we got something. A spark, potential for change, circulation if you will.

The opposite of fun has been the realms where you come in, your character introduces itself and he/she barely gets a hi. You're lucky if people even post scout reports and the council has looked the same for the last 350 days+. They remain in power almost on Inertia alone; they are not subject to any force and therefore will not move, or speak, or do anything.
In my experience, this happens more often in larger realms than in smaller ones. Realms with 60+ characters are not seldom more quiet than realms with only 20. Perhaps it has something do with the smaller realms having a purpose which feels more important than "trying to keep the large empire together" or that they feel like more than just a number.

One of my characters had ended up in Libero Empire on Dwilight. Granted I wasn't there for long but no one wrote anything for days. Boring as hell. It was time to retire him anyway so I did and started another one, this time in Summerdale. Got awesome response in just the first day.

So the advice we give to newbies still stands. The experience differs A LOT depending on the time and realm, so if one doesn't suit you, try another :) :) :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 01:48:47 AM by Kain »
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)