Poll

Self-explanatory... What is your favorite of the BM continents?

Atamara
Beluaterra
Colonies
Dwilight
East Continent
Far East

Author Topic: Favorite Island  (Read 52523 times)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Island
« Reply #135: May 17, 2011, 04:31:39 PM »
Apologies, just a bit fed up with the playstyle. And Artemsia, I think it is a different situation when two people IG arrive at a mutual understanding through character interaction that they hate eachother IG, fine we can't dispute that, but when there is no RP or backstory involved, merely a silence and then some sort of implied reason that you need to figure out on a OOC forum, it kind of shows that whatever method you used didn't work. Instead of us having a IG conflict and dealing with it IC we/I have now dragged into into the public sphere because I want people to be aware of this style of gamemanship and do everything in their power to discourage it, its not healthy, it not fun and it does nothing for the world of BM and to tie this into Dwilight and why its my favorite island is because when I started Thulsoma and I was judged a heretic and all of SA was 'oh no out to get me!' They still spoke to me and messaged me and replied to my RP and conversation, we were enemies/ or we at least thought we were enemies, but with communication found we were actually on the same idea. It made for a great RP, we had all sorts of things going on the Prophet even got involved etc and diplomats came to Thulsoma, and it built my character and added to the lore of the continent.

On the other hand we have Caerwyns way of dealing with it, ignore, don't speak, no interaction, disrespect the player and nothing happens, nothing happens IG and nothing happens to develop their characters... Who knows that maybe if Caerwyn treated Asylon with respect and we communicated maybe this big bad SA war would have been diverted and we would all be now marching down on Zuma and killing Garrett the Daimon love  ::) Or even marching as Allies against Astrum..or any number of possible futures.

Who knows right? On one hand we could have had a vast and better story and interaction negative or positive... Or on the other hand..Nothing...

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 04:33:20 PM by Glaumring »
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #136: May 17, 2011, 08:25:06 PM »
Apologies, just a bit fed up with the playstyle. And Artemsia, I think it is a different situation when two people IG arrive at a mutual understanding through character interaction that they hate eachother IG, fine we can't dispute that, but when there is no RP or backstory involved, merely a silence and then some sort of implied reason that you need to figure out on a OOC forum, it kind of shows that whatever method you used didn't work. Instead of us having a IG conflict and dealing with it IC we/I have now dragged into into the public sphere because I want people to be aware of this style of gamemanship and do everything in their power to discourage it, its not healthy, it not fun and it does nothing for the world of BM and to tie this into Dwilight and why its my favorite island is because when I started Thulsoma and I was judged a heretic and all of SA was 'oh no out to get me!' They still spoke to me and messaged me and replied to my RP and conversation, we were enemies/ or we at least thought we were enemies, but with communication found we were actually on the same idea. It made for a great RP, we had all sorts of things going on the Prophet even got involved etc and diplomats came to Thulsoma, and it built my character and added to the lore of the continent.

On the other hand we have Caerwyns way of dealing with it, ignore, don't speak, no interaction, disrespect the player and nothing happens, nothing happens IG and nothing happens to develop their characters... Who knows that maybe if Caerwyn treated Asylon with respect and we communicated maybe this big bad SA war would have been diverted and we would all be now marching down on Zuma and killing Garrett the Daimon love  ::) Or even marching as Allies against Astrum..or any number of possible futures.

Who knows right? On one hand we could have had a vast and better story and interaction negative or positive... Or on the other hand..Nothing...

You seem to be taking it awfully personally. It sounds to me like Caerwyn simply made a political decision. To open a dialogue with Glaumring, King of Asylon would have been to implicitly recognize his rule. Since they did not want to do that, they refused to speak with you. This is completely rational and is an accepted diplomatic tool even in the real world.

Many nations do not recognize certain governments, so they blacklist the people in them and refuse to deal with them on an official basis (i.e. by exchanging embassies). You could have done what governments in the real world do and found someone you can trust (like that priest of VE you mentioned) and then had him open communication with Caerwyn.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #137: May 17, 2011, 10:33:32 PM »
I did, and even stepped down as king and was legitimately re-elected and even then no reply, and then even stepped down and was a regular noble and still no reply and then as treasurer and still no reply...

Anyways, I guess if this is something you guys support, I should go along with it. I don't understand why its a legitimate form of gameplay, perhaps if they don't want to communicate they can merely send descriptive roleplays involving rooms etc and explaining things through sign language with insects? It could be abstract and without any communication like perhaps some strange kabuki play....

Perhaps the implied form of gameplay is that they desire said person to actually not play the game with them at all, if in BM you are denied a place to form your character and develop in  a social situation and grow, then what is the point? Perhaps it is this attitude that repels so many new players, when they find out that it can become so dreadfully boring and cold, that they can be denied the story, the plot and the only reason for playing BM.

Aye, push buttons, maintain land, make sure enough nobles set up estates to authority, move troops, wait for gold, send out scout scribe note.... Yes, this is BM... One day you can ask Tom to just remove the multiplayer aspect of Bm and create a single player game that does everything except the social part. Then this accepted form of roleplay in a text based game, will be perfect.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #138: May 17, 2011, 10:48:42 PM »
You reap what you sow.   Maybe Caerwyn is starting to understand that.   They were in the perfect position.  Federated to an SA realm.  They had openly opposed Sanguis Astroism on more than one occasion and yet they were left alone.  If they had interacted with Astrum or Sanguis Astroism in /any/  way they wouldn't be in the position they find themselves in now.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #139: May 17, 2011, 11:00:57 PM »
I didn't take over Asylon at the time because of a Astroist plot, I took it over because only an Astroist knows how to run a kingdom without running it into the ground... 8)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140: May 18, 2011, 08:57:08 PM »
You reap what you sow.   Maybe Caerwyn is starting to understand that.   They were in the perfect position.  Federated to an SA realm.  They had openly opposed Sanguis Astroism on more than one occasion and yet they were left alone.  If they had interacted with Astrum or Sanguis Astroism in /any/  way they wouldn't be in the position they find themselves in now.

Interaction? Eh, what is that again? I forgot during my time there :'(

I think I was the only person in the realm that had any contact with Astrum. That is, General to General, on numerous occasions. But alas, one noble could not change realm views.

I suspect my character's view was different from quite a few in the realm, but that's all IC stuff which I'm not going to talk about here.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 08:59:42 PM by Bael »

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #141: May 18, 2011, 09:16:33 PM »
Anyways, I am done with my online tantrum and dried all my tears. I just would like to see a little bit more imagination involved in our interactions and roleplay on BM. I have nothing against you personally Baal and IG you have always been fair with Glaumring. You have my respect for that. I feel that its kind of sad though in this regard Asylon has been next to Caerwyn for several months now and we know nothing of you, we know more and interact more with Terran and the souther Marrocidens than Caerwyn. I can count on my hand how many times our nation on a noble to noble basis have had interaction with other nobles in Caerwyn...Not very many times. Thats fairly interesting considering more than half our nation is old Caerwyn nobles and new nobles, there is maybe 3 SA in the realm and we hardly compose a 5th column riding in Caerwyns back door like all of the old SA traitors that joined your realm tried to make you believe. The ball is in your court.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #142: May 18, 2011, 11:53:57 PM »
Because I was not talking to them as a SA agent, I was talking to them as a king and ruler of a nation, and later a free noble and then a lord of the treasury, there was no speak of SA in anything I have asked about certain topics and there has only been constant hostility. I take it this way ---- Its a roleplay game, the best way to develop a character in Bm is to actually interact with people WHETHER you like them or not, that is how you develop your character and interactions between realms, by not interacting you are essentially saying you do not respect my character, you do not respect the out of game self that desires to interact and build a more diverse BM world and you disrespect Bm by treating it like any other platformer by 'playing to crush' ... My stipulation for ignoring a player would not be because he disagrees with my IN GAME ROLEPLAYED LIFESTYLE, but because said player a RUDE PRICK and was OOC constantly rude.

I am merely saying as an old man who has been playing roleplaying games since the early 80's that I find some people on BM to be incapable and frankly not very good at understanding basic roleplay precepts. Could you imagine playing a D&D campaign with some prick who just sits at the table silently while you try to communicate with them? The game wouldn't last long. The only reason it survives as a play style in BM is that I can't reach over the table and punch you in the head.

But you are associated with SA. So you just sound like a SA infiltrator instead of an SA agent. That, or you are the guy who seemed to want to create a splinter faction of VE. One or the other, or both. I'm not quite sure. In either case, it basically made you a persona non grata.

Characters are not forced to respond to you. Ignoring others, imho, is perfectly legit. Make people want to respond to you, and they will. But if they don't want to, while they don't mind talking to others, then you got yourself to blame for that, indirectly if not directly.

Also, the fact that many didn't know what they planned on doing with you when you took power contributed to them putting off any official stances and responses.

Edit:

Also, there's nothing poor form with ignoring letters. They are pieces of papers that are brought to you, with no one compelling you to take the time to return the gesture. Had you come to Paisly and RPed knocking on my char's door, then I would have replied to you with RPs of my character's actions. Equally, had you written to me OOC, I would have replied to you. An IC letter though? Depends on the letter, but you start off with worse odds of a replies than most people (I usually reply to 98% of the private letters I don't have any reason to ignore)

Furthermore, it can be politically desirable to be in a grey zone. The world isn't black and white, sometimes you *want* to be neutral with someone. And if discussions would be likely to polarize relations, then it can be strategic to avoid them. That's the logic behind VE not talking about the faith to SA: the grey zone where we ignore each other is the situation that is desired, we neither want to be associated with SA nor do we want to war it (as a religion).

As for Dustole, don't forget that a few key Caerwyn founders came from Springdale. Which got destroyed because it allowed SA to creep into it. Of these Sprindalian families are some of VE's most influential members. After all, when Caerwyn first got founded, it declared itself a child of both Madina and Springdale.

And Glaumring, please. You speak as if there is no distinction between yourself and your character. And why do you assume Caerwyn would have liked your scenario of grand peace between them and SA? I'm sympathetic to Caerwyn, but they very much wanted the war they are in. After all, they are the ones who declared war.

And sure you got re-elected. Point being? They wanted the original settlers in command, those they had agreements with. You, on the other hand, refuse to aknowledge previous treaties, claiming that they never existed. And you are puzzled over Caerwyn's cold attitude?

Finally, for the record, your character did spark many discussions. You just weren't privy to most of them, as these were done behind closed doors. And you probably won't be for a while, either, as no concensus was reached.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 12:28:19 AM by Chénier »
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #143: May 19, 2011, 12:26:40 AM »
Glaumring,

Allison sent them 1000 bushels of food on two occasions and that was before SA had even been to war with anyone.   At that time Caerwyn had recently Federated with Astrum.   Even then they wouldn't interact with anyone.   I just assumed they were a very insular clique.    What little bit I've learned IC and OOC about Asylon leads me to believe that the characters who would interact with others moved from Caerwyn to Asylon.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #144: May 19, 2011, 12:30:34 AM »
Glaumring,

Allison sent them 1000 bushels of food on two occasions and that was before SA had even been to war with anyone.   At that time Caerwyn had recently Federated with Astrum.   Even then they wouldn't interact with anyone.   I just assumed they were a very insular clique.    What little bit I've learned IC and OOC about Asylon leads me to believe that the characters who would interact with others moved from Caerwyn to Asylon.

Insular... to a point. As I mentionned above, SA's role in Springdale's downfall played heavilly against it.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Woelfen

• Knight
  • Falling awake
    • View Profile
« Reply #145: May 19, 2011, 01:52:39 AM »
I'm going to say it's starting to become a toss-up between EC and FEI. It depends on the day, and what I feel like devoting myself to at the moment. I'm really glad Bedwyr convinced me to give FEI another shot.

EC has been spectacular amounts of fun on the strategy side of the game, and some of the Roleplay's have been a lot of fun. Now that I've got a priest working against the CoI, I expect it's going to step up even more. Definitely looking forward to that. Not to mention, having a character in a position of power really does give you a /lot/ more to do.

FEI has an absolutely great atmosphere. There is a lot of communication from the top all the way to the bottom, and I haven't even joined a religion yet. Seems to be more RP and interaction based than just wars.

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #146: May 19, 2011, 02:03:22 AM »
Furthermore, it can be politically desirable to be in a grey zone. The world isn't black and white, sometimes you *want* to be neutral with someone. And if discussions would be likely to polarize relations, then it can be strategic to avoid them. That's the logic behind VE not talking about the faith to SA: the grey zone where we ignore each other is the situation that is desired, we neither want to be associated with SA nor do we want to war it (as a religion).

Yes, this has been the general impression I've got from VE. Not an open hostility, but rather an indifferance bordering on dislike. Quite frankly, although it can be fustrating at times, I do think its probobly the wisest move for VE at the present time.

However there has been one incident when this position has been differant. A very long time ago (way back when VE was just some backwater religion stuck in Caerwyn (I think- I never really pinpointed the exact date it spread to D'Hara)) I managed to get some dialogue going with your Elder of Wind, a friendly female noble whose name unfortunatly escapes him. We managed to have a fair amount of dialogue, in which she promised to consult with the other VE Elders regarding which element the Bloodstars belonged to. However we lost contact, and I never heard from her again (I remember around the same time reading on the wiki of upheavals in VE or somthing).
The next encounter I had with VE was in D'Hara where I met the aforementionmed cold indifferance.

As for Dustole, don't forget that a few key Caerwyn founders came from Springdale. Which got destroyed because it allowed SA to creep into it. Of these Sprindalian families are some of VE's most influential members. After all, when Caerwyn first got founded, it declared itself a child of both Madina and Springdale.

The event Allison was reffering to regarding the food gift and related offers, happened before the fall of Springdale, indeed before we had ever decalred war on anyone.

However I would guess that the lack of interaction was merely the result of the fact that Caerwyn never used to concern itself much regarding religion (at least before the metioric rise of VE gave it an unofficial state religion), being an offically secular republic. Indeed, that was one of the reasons why SA never spread there.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #147: May 19, 2011, 04:40:27 AM »
The event Allison was reffering to regarding the food gift and related offers, happened before the fall of Springdale, indeed before we had ever decalred war on anyone.

However I would guess that the lack of interaction was merely the result of the fact that Caerwyn never used to concern itself much regarding religion (at least before the metioric rise of VE gave it an unofficial state religion), being an offically secular republic. Indeed, that was one of the reasons why SA never spread there.

Troubles with Duke Cato began before the founding of Caerwyn. The destruction of Springdale only amplified the existing resent these colonists had for the religion they saw tearing their home realm apart.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #148: May 19, 2011, 08:40:52 AM »

And sure you got re-elected. Point being? They wanted the original settlers in command, those they had agreements with. You, on the other hand, refuse to aknowledge previous treaties, claiming that they never existed. And you are puzzled over Caerwyn's cold attitude?

Regarding these treaties, we always changed our stance once proof was shown that there was actual treaties. I always honoured proof of treaty. I of course had to be careful and question Caerwyn because of their hostile attitude. I acknowledged the Lower Via/Via and Upper Via Caerwyn land claim, which was outlined in the 'legal claims of the central Occidens' . There is only one other treaty that we have signed with Caerwyn so I am wondering about ALL these treaties I stomped around on like an inconsiderate monster. I always treated Caerwyn with respect and delicacy because I knew that faith would be an issue to the theocractic republic of Caerwyn, it wasn't an issue with me for I am more secular and look at a man for his worth more than his faith. I thought Caerwyn was a republic... Perhaps I arrived at the wrong time in history, a few months earlier and we would all be singing in the park holding hands making daisy chains.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149: May 19, 2011, 10:27:10 AM »
I have nothing against you personally Baal and IG you have always been fair with Glaumring. You have my respect for that.

If this is directed at me, then I see where you were confused. Please note: the name /Bael/ is in no way related to /Baal/, nor does it have any connections to it. It is the shortened form of Baelorack, that I use on an another MMO.

And I am not the player of Baal either, to to be clear ;)