Author Topic: Cost for lords to use caravans/ox carts  (Read 3291 times)

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Cost for lords to use caravans/ox carts
« Topic Start: November 30, 2011, 07:20:27 AM »
(Sorry if this has been proposed before)

Traders/nobles with caravans have to pay to gold to keep them, so Lords that want to send or try to get food with them should have to also. This could also make it easier for Traders to have better chances to make a profit.

Lets say example where a Lord can easily sell his food to a city for 40 gold per 100 bushels. There is no need for a Trader. Though what if to do that it cost 10 gold, so the Lord still makes a profit for 30. A Trader could come by and buy it for 35 gold then sell to the city for 40. Thus the Lord makes more gold, and the Trader can make money better.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Cost for lords to use caravans/ox carts
« Reply #1: November 30, 2011, 12:45:49 PM »
Caravans already cost gold to send out. The region page states 5 gold if you don't have the facilities in your region to make them yourself, 1 gold if you do, if I remember correctly. However I believe people stated those numbers were off and you don't actually pay 5 gold. Still, Caravans are limited in where they can be send out and are far more dangerous on longer routes. Thats where Traders come in.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 30, 2011, 12:59:19 PM »
They are off, but I think you only ever pay 1 gold not 5.

Traders as they currently stand are meant to do long distance trading it would seem. Trying to do things in realm is usually counter productive. I'm not sure the automatic caravans are on all islands yet, so traders can still fill internal realm trading in the cases where Lords are happy to set warehouse thresholds but too lazy to organised their own caravans, which is more often then I would have thought.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 30, 2011, 02:48:01 PM »

Traders as they currently stand are meant to do long distance trading it would seem. Trying to do things in realm is usually counter productive. I'm not sure the automatic caravans are on all islands yet, so traders can still fill internal realm trading in the cases where Lords are happy to set warehouse thresholds but too lazy to organised their own caravans, which is more often then I would have thought.

Indeed.

(Sorry if this has been proposed before)

Traders/nobles with caravans have to pay to gold to keep them, so Lords that want to send or try to get food with them should have to also. This could also make it easier for Traders to have better chances to make a profit.

Lets say example where a Lord can easily sell his food to a city for 40 gold per 100 bushels. There is no need for a Trader. Though what if to do that it cost 10 gold, so the Lord still makes a profit for 30. A Trader could come by and buy it for 35 gold then sell to the city for 40. Thus the Lord makes more gold, and the Trader can make money better.

On Dwilight, they reach pretty far. Elsewhere, not so much, and can barely cross a 2 region gap. On Dwilight, despite their range, there will however always be a lot of lands beyond reach which will require traders to access.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 30, 2011, 03:00:40 PM »

Yes, this was done so that people would actually start using caravans while ox carts were still available.

I'm...not totally sure what our plans are for caravan charges in the long run.  We'll have to run some numbers at some point to see if what we were originally planning would be too onerous.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 30, 2011, 07:16:41 PM »
Yes, this was done so that people would actually start using caravans while ox carts were still available.

I'm...not totally sure what our plans are for caravan charges in the long run.  We'll have to run some numbers at some point to see if what we were originally planning would be too onerous.

Many people already built trader supplies assuming it really did cost 5 gold.

However, indeed, it could result in a lot of gold just being wasted on moving food around. After all, trader supplies costs upkeep too.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 30, 2011, 11:13:06 PM »
it doesn't cost all that much... besides it should be pretty well known that it's atm 1 gold per train.. not 5 per caravan.
firefox

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 01, 2011, 12:43:39 AM »
it doesn't cost all that much... besides it should be pretty well known that it's atm 1 gold per train.. not 5 per caravan.

To people who frequent this forums and pay close attention only. I didn't realize it until I was told on the forums, and others I spoke to didn't realize it 'till I told them.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 01, 2011, 06:01:47 PM »
that was known well before forum exists XD or at least to me. and i have mentioned it before on dlist/bugtrackers (though well hidden in the tracker no doubt)
firefox