Author Topic: Buildings that inspire loyalty to the realm  (Read 10750 times)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
Buildings that inspire loyalty to the realm
« Topic Start: November 08, 2011, 11:35:16 AM »
What about building buildings that increase loyalty towards the realm in surrounding regions?
Upgrading them could increase the area of effect or the effect its self.
The buildings could be anything, any big stone or metal thing will always impress peasants.
This leaves also allot of room for RP, like memorial statues for certain nobles or groups of nobles, or a god.
This way it is also fun to tear them down. :P
Offcourse they would also cost to upkeep, but not to much.

The effect in the game wouldn't be to large, the RP effect it will have will be much larger.
When you enter a city of some megalomaniac ego centrist, you find your self surounding by statues in his honor.
When you enter some religious freaks city, you will be surounded with idols, large temple complexes(we already have that) and statues of religious persons.
This easily makes regions(we could also limit this to cities and strongholds only) much different and gives places much more character.

The first month or so could also give a small morale boost in the region it's self.
The costs should be large of course(something like atleast 700 to 1000 for a small statue) it should be something exclusive and not really strategically worth it, so it's only really attractive for RP reasons(to prevent statues beeing build without any rp background).
And also to have multple nobles participate by donating or so, so it's not a one mans job.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Buildings that inspire loyalty to the realm
« Reply #1: November 08, 2011, 01:06:42 PM »
No.

Too much automation. Why would I add a feature that results in more people having even less to do?

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 08, 2011, 09:03:07 PM »
Too much automation. Why would I add a feature that results in more people having even less to do?

No one would have any less to do, it just adds something to the character of a city and in game signs of history and the such.
This feature doesn't have to replace or automate other features.
The effect should stay minimum, it shouldn't be used to replace courtiers and diplomats.
The effect should be more psychological then real, perhaps even hidden so no one really knows what the exact effect is.
'Powergamers' wouldn't find it attractive, role players would.
Just imagine a statue being immortalized in your chars name, so when you return a few years later with another character you still can see and feel his or her legacy live on.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 08, 2011, 10:41:32 PM »
No one would have any less to do, it just adds something to the character of a city and in game signs of history and the such.
This feature doesn't have to replace or automate other features.
The effect should stay minimum, it shouldn't be used to replace courtiers and diplomats.
The effect should be more psychological then real, perhaps even hidden so no one really knows what the exact effect is.
'Powergamers' wouldn't find it attractive, role players would.
Just imagine a statue being immortalized in your chars name, so when you return a few years later with another character you still can see and feel his or her legacy live on.

The role-play aspect could be included without adding any loyalty mechanics to the system
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 09, 2011, 05:19:58 AM »
I've always been in favour of allowing vanity projects with short-term benefits.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 09, 2011, 08:36:30 AM »
As a Lord, being able to simply pay a few gold to erect a statue of someone (and that appears in the Infrastructure menu in scout reports/ region details) would be cool. Or to pay a lot of gold :) Examples would be commemoration stones for battles, fallen heroes and declarations, statues for peers or deities, ...

One could argue that the Lord can already put this in the region description, but I believe this untrue. The value of such rp elements would be really enhanced by conspicuous spending.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 09, 2011, 09:14:10 AM »
As a Lord, being able to simply pay a few gold to erect a statue of someone (and that appears in the Infrastructure menu in scout reports/ region details) would be cool. Or to pay a lot of gold :) Examples would be commemoration stones for battles, fallen heroes and declarations, statues for peers or deities, ...

One could argue that the Lord can already put this in the region description, but I believe this untrue. The value of such rp elements would be really enhanced by conspicuous spending.

Well you can, but first there is no guarantee that the next Lord will leave it in the description, and there is the issue of how often people actually read descriptions (besides me, but then I'm the type of guy that when I go to a Zoo or Museum I absolutely have to read every displays information). Which leads me to my next questions, besides the initial message that I assume will be generated on its construction, how do we make the statue or whatever prominent to those visiting the region?

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 09, 2011, 11:01:39 AM »
Well you can, but first there is no guarantee that the next Lord will leave it in the description, and there is the issue of how often people actually read descriptions (besides me, but then I'm the type of guy that when I go to a Zoo or Museum I absolutely have to read every displays information). Which leads me to my next questions, besides the initial message that I assume will be generated on its construction, how do we make the statue or whatever prominent to those visiting the region?

If you wanted it to be prominent maybe in the travel report?
Such as:
Arrival   (x hours, x minutes ago)
You have arrived in Barad Lacirith, a City region (friendly territory).
You see a statue for the fallen hero X

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 09, 2011, 11:09:23 AM »

Some ideas:
* The monument can be looted/damaged, which causes morale issues in the region.
* Perhaps you can visit it, or perform some action with it that grants your troops a little morale. Could be not unlike paying them to have fun and raise their morale.
* Shrines could have a similar value added, if they gained an action of some sort like described in the previous point.
* It could have an effect on loyalty and diplomatic work, for example.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 09, 2011, 09:36:54 PM »
Some ideas:
* Perhaps you can visit it, or perform some action with it that grants your troops a little morale. Could be not unlike paying them to have fun and raise their morale.
* Shrines could have a similar value added, if they gained an action of some sort like described in the previous point.

Nah, I'm not convinced. What if a realm that has just looted a region to the ground erects a statue for the conqueror? Surely the local populace would not be happier because of it?

All I'd like is being able to pay for a tiny bit of 'advertisement' space in a region :)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 09, 2011, 10:08:41 PM »
Some ideas:

I'm against the monument having any real in game mechanics beyond RP value. We don't need a new improvement for power gamers to spam all over the place.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: November 10, 2011, 12:56:08 AM »
I agree.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 10, 2011, 01:20:11 AM »
Being able to upgrade roads would be nice :)
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 10, 2011, 09:37:42 PM »
Being able to upgrade roads would be nice :)

Well you can. It just takes a while ;)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: November 10, 2011, 10:06:29 PM »
Nah, I'm not convinced. What if a realm that has just looted a region to the ground erects a statue for the conqueror? Surely the local populace would not be happier because of it?

Just require good stats in the region in order to start such kind of project. Wouldn't that solve it?

I'm against the monument having any real in game mechanics beyond RP value. We don't need a new improvement for power gamers to spam all over the place.

That will only happen if the bonus are large, but if they are minimal for a high cost it won't be used for power gamers, because it won't be worth it per se, it's value would be the RP one, with a slight game-mechanics effect to make it more tangible.

Some times negligible game mechanics effect improves the RPs. I can RP having a heavily armored guard with my priest, but infiltrators will sneak into my camp in the same way. If I could spend money in hiring guards to slightly reduce the odds of infils stabbing me, then the RP would be much more satisfactory, even if the safety effect is minimal.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).