Author Topic: Jousting tournoment  (Read 15495 times)

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Jousting tournoment
« Reply #15: November 11, 2011, 11:07:23 AM »
If you command a cavalry unit you will need jousting.I mostly use archers-they seem to have the highest survival chance of the lot.But I'm starting to like cavalry for their fast travel times.What about cavalier subclass?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 11:29:05 AM by mikm »

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: November 11, 2011, 12:10:51 PM »
If you command a cavalry unit you will need jousting.I mostly use archers-they seem to have the highest survival chance of the lot.But I'm starting to like cavalry for their fast travel times.What about cavalier subclass?

Not really. High Jousting skill is hardly needed to make effective use of a cavalry unit, any more then high sword fighting is required for an effective infantry unit.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: November 11, 2011, 12:22:40 PM »
Not really. High Jousting skill is hardly needed to make effective use of a cavalry unit, any more then high sword fighting is required for an effective infantry unit.
That should be changed.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:24:18 PM by mikm »

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: November 11, 2011, 01:00:27 PM »
That should be changed.

Why? I have recruited a unit of trained cavalry. Why should my personal skill dictate how effective they are? I believe there is a small modifier to account for your own part in the battle but surly you don't suggest that a unit of highly skilled cavalry suddenly lose their skills when lead by a wet behind the ears noble?

The other factor that is while there are some correlation, jousting as performed in tournaments is fairly different to the standard cavalry charge with lances lowered.

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: November 11, 2011, 01:36:20 PM »
Why? I have recruited a unit of trained cavalry. Why should my personal skill dictate how effective they are? I believe there is a small modifier to account for your own part in the battle but surly you don't suggest that a unit of highly skilled cavalry suddenly lose their skills when lead by a wet behind the ears noble?

The other factor that is while there are some correlation, jousting as performed in tournaments is fairly different to the standard cavalry charge with lances lowered.
You could reduce the need for sword fighting. Would rather like to see tournaments for roleplay rather then game mechanics.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:38:48 PM by mikm »

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: November 12, 2011, 01:50:13 AM »
You could reduce the need for sword fighting. Would rather like to see tournaments for roleplay rather then game mechanics.

All the game mechanics have done is create a RP world were sword fighting is more respected then jousting, which is the opposite of RL where the Jousting aspect of tournaments was more prestigious. The fact that it is different is in no way wrong though.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: November 12, 2011, 02:18:03 AM »
Still think a Jousting Training Match would be a very nice addition.
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: November 12, 2011, 03:01:25 AM »
Still think a Jousting Training Match would be a very nice addition.

I'm not expert in jousting, but did they ever really train against each other? I know about the different stationary targets they used to train against, but since I thought jousting was a reasonably dangerous activity I always assumed that "live" training wasn't common.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: November 12, 2011, 04:26:28 AM »
I'm not expert in jousting, but did they ever really train against each other? I know about the different stationary targets they used to train against, but since I thought jousting was a reasonably dangerous activity I always assumed that "live" training wasn't common.

Pretty sure they must have. Stationary targets are crap after all.

Besides, same thing could be said for sword practice - or that it was more dangerous that jousting. But we would assume they would blunten their lances and not leave the pointy bit :D

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: November 12, 2011, 08:04:12 AM »
Pretty sure they must have. Stationary targets are crap after all.

Besides, same thing could be said for sword practice - or that it was more dangerous that jousting. But we would assume they would blunten their lances and not leave the pointy bit :D

No jousting used pointed lances, the threat came from two main sources, the first being the splintering wood the second being the injuries from falling off the horse, or potentially partially falling off the horse and being dragged.

The danger involved in sword training is a heap less, as anyone that has trained in armed forms of martial arts could tell you.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: November 14, 2011, 06:07:24 PM »
Having gert big bits of metal swung at you is dangerous I am sure :P

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: November 15, 2011, 12:03:20 AM »
Having gert big bits of metal swung at you is dangerous I am sure :P

Not if you're clad in heavy armor, using blunt weapons (with regard of the safety of your competitor).

And yes, jousting, even during training, would be highly dangerous. Numerous sources tell of people dieing in such tournaments (with blunt lances), mostly from falling of their horse (as said above) :) I've even read a case where one knight got wounded in the saddle, causing all others present to start fighting, ending in the death of several spectators :P

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: November 15, 2011, 02:30:44 AM »
Not if you're clad in heavy armor, using blunt weapons (with regard of the safety of your competitor).

And yes, jousting, even during training, would be highly dangerous. Numerous sources tell of people dieing in such tournaments (with blunt lances), mostly from falling of their horse (as said above) :) I've even read a case where one knight got wounded in the saddle, causing all others present to start fighting, ending in the death of several spectators :P

No amount of armour would make me consider sword training safe :P

And yes jousting was very fun :P Maybe give it slightly higher % when Joust Training to get an injury? :P

egamma

« Reply #28: November 15, 2011, 05:48:26 AM »
No amount of armour would make me consider sword training safe :P

And yes jousting was very fun :P Maybe give it slightly higher % when Joust Training to get an injury? :P

Sword training can be done with sticks. Jousting requires riding horses.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: November 15, 2011, 03:23:51 PM »
Sword training can be done with sticks. Jousting requires riding horses.

Some would say Jousting is just using sticks :P