Author Topic: Crusade  (Read 11781 times)

Aldwoni

• Knight
    • View Profile
Crusade
« Topic Start: November 14, 2011, 06:59:57 PM »
As Religions have currently not very much besides roleplay, I try to think of options who add changes to the game based on religions. My suggestion is crusades. Ofcourse there are a number of choices which should be made by the development team but this is how I see it currently.

When an Religion is considered Evil. A priest can call for a Crusade against a realm, ruled by someone from this evil religion. Each army leader can accept the request. If they to, they and everyone in their army gets double prestige in battles against armies of this realm.

egamma

Re: Crusade
« Reply #1: November 15, 2011, 05:51:41 AM »
you can do this already--give me 90 days notice and I'll create a character to join this crusade, just because that would be great.

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 15, 2011, 06:47:03 AM »
This idea is phenominally awesome, especially as it rewards religious friction.  It also encourages people to join religions, as there are benefits as well as costs and those who want to become the most honourable or prestigeous will naturally find themselves gravitating towards crusades.

It could be paired up with a penalty for peace if a crusade ends before X days (say 90), so that once the ball gets rolling everybody starts getting into rumbles.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 15, 2011, 08:22:40 AM »
This idea is phenominally awesome, especially as it rewards religious friction.  It also encourages people to join religions, as there are benefits as well as costs and those who want to become the most honourable or prestigeous will naturally find themselves gravitating towards crusades.

It could be paired up with a penalty for peace if a crusade ends before X days (say 90), so that once the ball gets rolling everybody starts getting into rumbles.

It as also been suggest before, so it is either rejected, on the to-do list or requires more thought. I believe at the time there was a concern that it would take away from the realm v realm style of play that was being aimed for.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 15, 2011, 08:40:17 AM »
For a crusade to be significant enough to offer bonuses like you suggest, I would say that it should at least require that multiple realms follow that faith, otherwise everyone and their dog can call for a crusade every time they go to war to gain more prestige.

But then, hardly anyone would be able to call one.

I also think that a ruler's faith is a very bad indicator of a realm's faith.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 15, 2011, 09:34:25 AM »
Wouldn't this be similar to 'hating' a certain people? I think that's a Ruler's option

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 15, 2011, 11:40:18 AM »
Well, blending Hatred with Crusade would be an interesting option, giving a slight h/p bonus (not double, that's too much), and somehow tying it with religions. You will need state religions though, for that to happen, so Realm A of national Religion B, which considers Religion C evil, can declare a crusade against Realm D of national Religion C.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 15, 2011, 01:33:28 PM »
A priest can call for a Crusade against a realm, ruled by someone from this evil religion. Each army leader can accept the request. If they to, they and everyone in their army gets double prestige in battles against armies of this realm.

I would prefer if only rulers of theocratic realms could call crusades because

1) It makes more sense for them to do so: they are the ones controlling armies
2) It would not use the artificial criteria of "realm rules by someone of another religion"
3) It would avoid obvious exploits such as the ruler of the enemy realm leaving the religion to avoid the crusade
4) It would be less likely to lead to every religion declaring crusades right and left for the bonus for their members without particularly meaning it.

Basically, the crusade status could be the equivalent of the hatred status for theocracies.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #8: November 15, 2011, 03:19:42 PM »
We already have crusades. SA called a crusade against Thulsoma, which continued against Averoth and Caerwyn. None of these crusades needed some game mechanic, just pure roleplay. If you can't get your religion to call a crusade, that's just sorry luck for you then.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 15, 2011, 03:23:04 PM »
We already have crusades. SA called a crusade against Thulsoma, which continued against Averoth and Caerwyn. None of these crusades needed some game mechanic, just pure roleplay. If you can't get your religion to call a crusade, that's just sorry luck for you then.

Must agree. I myself am planning a Crusade or two (possibly three if I can start the religious war I want).

However some game mechanics would be nice as a carrot. However it should have NOTHING to do with Theocratic Realms and their Rulers at all.

Give it to only the Prophet or something like that...
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 15, 2011, 03:44:07 PM »

That's not the point. The point is that it would be nice to have some game mechanic advantage to be in a religion. You're right that it's not needed as such, but I think it's a nice idea.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #11: November 15, 2011, 03:59:14 PM »
Why? You already have the advantage of A) being able to organize effectively, B) providing more unity, and C) you can do religious takeovers in regions where you have a good following. Especially the last one. So you already have advantages for being in a religion, you don't need to add to it.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 15, 2011, 04:19:03 PM »
Why? You already have the advantage of A) being able to organize effectively, B) providing more unity, and C) you can do religious takeovers in regions where you have a good following. Especially the last one. So you already have advantages for being in a religion, you don't need to add to it.

I agree with you: this is not necessary to declare crusades. I think it's a nice idea, that's all.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 15, 2011, 04:45:31 PM »
I agree with you: this is not necessary to declare crusades. I think it's a nice idea, that's all.

I think balancing it would be more trouble than it's worth, though.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: November 16, 2011, 02:29:42 AM »
Who else can see well established alliance blocks suddenly all converting to the same religion so there next gang bang can be a crusade?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.