Author Topic: Calling Taxes  (Read 2220 times)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Calling Taxes
« Topic Start: November 28, 2011, 06:45:20 PM »
apparently some (all?) realms on bt have been not getting taxes unless the banker (ruler?) calls it.

that, and the previous time it happened showed me something interesting though rather insignificant in the giant scheme of things.

building maintenance is a flat rate, regardless of time. (25 cost cf.  hundreds in income... in avengmil for example, whether the tax is 5 days 7 days or more)

anyway... i was thinking that maybe taxes should simply not arrive automatically every 7 days. make it the banker's job. or if position is vacant, the ruler does it... then judge, then general?

basically gives the banker something to do. though it is somewhat tedious. so perhaps allow the banker to set auto collect in X (or never) days in his settings somewhere?

1 issue is inactivity/griefing. not the same thing but same results.. no taxes called. though i don't see why people can't protest him out.
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Calling Taxes
« Reply #1: November 28, 2011, 07:15:45 PM »
Making the players do drudge work for no other reason than to make them do drudge work is less than ideal. In fact, it's crappy.

There are some cases where we want to give players things to do. These are typically in cases where things will happen anyway, but player involvement can make it better or faster. i.e. you don't *have* to have courtiers. If you don't have them, you can drop taxes a bit, and keep right on going without a problem. But if you want the absolute most out of your region, or you don't want to wait for the region to recover on its own, then do some courtier work. The involvement of the player just makes it more efficient and faster.

Changing taxes to manual collection really gives us nothing. Instead, it forces a particular player to do something on a regular schedule in order to achieve the exact same things that the completely automated system already does. It also is probably against the IRs about activity/inactivity and playing at your own pace.

I think this would be a huge step backward that really doesn't add anything at all.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 28, 2011, 07:24:01 PM »
that's why i mentioned an auto setting, much like auto troops paying.

give those realms that want longer tax cycles (for whatever reason) the ability to do so.

and figure out some feature that would make longer or shorter cycles more attractive (for different reasons). flat building maintenance would mean longer cycles are desirable, yet on its own mostly pointless because the sum involved is low.
firefox

egamma

« Reply #3: November 28, 2011, 07:34:02 PM »
I think it would be better to make the maintenance costs a daily accural, so that realms that collect taxes every 4 days aren't penalized.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 28, 2011, 07:42:12 PM »
Daily accrual of costs, with a realm-chosen tax interval would be an interesting option. But I think that automatic collection has to stay.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 28, 2011, 07:57:01 PM »
collect often = more go missing via corruption? (though that's sort of counter intuitive)
collect often = more lost to cost in actual collection?
firefox