Author Topic: Fifth Invasion  (Read 448540 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Fifth Invasion
« Reply #210: December 14, 2011, 03:56:11 PM »
The daimon and monster invader units of the last invasion were *immensely* overpowered. It would not have taken much in the way of testing to determine this. I have always assumed that they were this way because they were meant to be overpowering.

Here's another important point:

The devs, as a body, were not directly involved in the preparations for the invasion.  Some of the devs were among the GMs, but not all were, and some (like me) didn't become GMs until much later in the invasion.  Also, not all the GMs were devs.

Not only did I, personally, not have the chance to test Tom's code for the monsters, undead, and Daimons before the invasion began, I certainly had no idea what his intentions were for them.

If you're trying to argue that they were *not* overpowered then, well, I'm sorry but I do not agree.

No, not at all.  I'm simply trying to explain that attempting to manage fine balance issues (as opposed to gross balance issues ;) ) with the dev server can be maddeningly difficult.

The above scenario suggests that you were trying to balance them with the expectation that a certain (smaller) number of invaders should be able to go toe to toe with a certain (larger) number of humans. This was a poor approach to balancing the invaders of the Fourth Invasion however because of their number.

Nope. I have no idea what tests Tom might have run with the invaders on the dev server, but he didn't tell me about them.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan